London

mature_guy
This topic is 798 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

4 hours ago, Luv2play said:

This is just so much hassle. I'm staying in my country until all this passes.

I'm quite happy to take the test, and the Australian government requires pre-departure tests for passengers from here regardless of destination countries' requirements as well as for travellers to Australia. Some states here require pre-departure tests for people travelling to them. Much as I might like to wait it out until they are no longer required, I'm not confident that will be soon.

6 hours ago, mike carey said:

I'm quite happy to take the test, and the Australian government requires pre-departure tests for passengers from here regardless of destination countries' requirements as well as for travellers to Australia. Some states here require pre-departure tests for people travelling to them. Much as I might like to wait it out until they are no longer required, I'm not confident that will be soon.

I think the pressure will be on governments both here and in the States to drop the requirements for tests for fully vaccinated people now that the borders are opened both ways as of yesterday. People are used to going across land borders for just a day visit to shop or see friends and relatives. Now with a $200 test in order to take such a trip people will just defer such travel. And businesses will still suffer. The requirement is for a PCR test which must be taken with 72 hours before the trip. Doesn't make sense for a day trip.

2 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I think the pressure will be on governments both here and in the States to drop the requirements for tests for fully vaccinated people now that the borders are opened both ways as of yesterday. People are used to going across land borders for just a day visit to shop or see friends and relatives. Now with a $200 test in order to take such a trip people will just defer such travel. And businesses will still suffer. The requirement is for a PCR test which must be taken with 72 hours before the trip. Doesn't make sense for a day trip.

Looked at that way, I agree. I was thinking more of the sort of trip that I'm likely to want to make, and although I mentioned interstate trips here, my comment was mainly about international trips (and no land borders here). They are the test requirements I think will remain in place for a while.

I doubt domestic testing requirements will be so long lasting, and in any events not all states have them. The Queensland-NSW border will be the challenging one for the same reasons you cite, as there are cross-border communities where tests will quickly become a right pain in the arse if there isn't an exception for them. Flying to WA or Tasmania, or for me even flying to Queensland (2 hours) a test would be less of an issue (and I wouldn't need one to fly back).

36 minutes ago, MikeThomas said:

And that is why I don't intend to return to London until these conditions no longer are necessary.

Edited by Charlie

23 hours ago, mature_guy said:

ExpressTest.  https://www.expresstest.co.uk/

They are at terminal 3 and 5.  We were through the process in 20 minutes and on our way.  The Terminal 3 site is steps away from where you exit the Tube at the T2/3 stop (above ground).  I know at least one person who took the tube back out to Heathrow for the day 2 test on day 2, then back to the city.  Given the price of the express train from Paddington, he'd have done better to visit one of the clinics in the city or pick up a home test at one of the distribution sites.

At least he will now for next time! Just book the test before you leave so that it can be taken once you land and boom! You're done!

Guest MikeThomas
20 minutes ago, Charlie said:

And that is why I don't intend to return to London until these conditions no longer are necessary.

Understand. It’s a pain. I’m going to Mexico next week and London in January. Tired of not traveling.  Will just deal with tests to enter England and return to the US. 

Edited by MikeThomas
G

23 hours ago, glondon said:

At least he will now for next time! Just book the test before you leave so that it can be taken once you land and boom! You're done!

unless a positive strikes. then you're not allowed out of quarantine in the UK nor are you allowed to return to the US until negative. and i bet the hotel will treat you "special" until they get you out. 

i just realized the 2 day test has to be booked before leaving to get on the plane AND now you have to test overseas 3 days before returning to the US to get on the plane home. I'm triple vaccinated and had a negative PCR test yesterday so, Yup I'm mad. Flight to UK this saturday 11/12 and this is my week's work.

Edited by tassojunior

20 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Absolutely. I remember this horror show back when the pandemic started and this Canadian couple got stuck in Lima, Peru in a quarantine type situation. There for weeks as I recall. 

Weren't there thousands of Australians not allowed to come home for a long while? 

On 11/7/2021 at 11:47 AM, jetlow said:

Would be interesting if someone could recommend a testing place at the airport for Day 2 that they have tried. . I hate US flag carriers with a passion ( so Delta, United , American ugh….) and living in New York we have choices of the worlds best to anywhere   - so very often its BA ( Terminal 5) for me. 

I was just there in September and had to do a very expensive PCR test at this place in Notting Hill that charged me £90 for it.  Cutting into my hiring budget !

The at home tests are fine - I use it to come back to the US, but I suspect most people here are not the most tech savvy - I work in tech. 

https://www.find-travel-test-provider.service.gov.uk/providers

The 1st two have super cheap (1 Lb) administered tests at the Moxy and Ibis hotels at Heathrow. Ill probably do the Terminal 3 ExpressTest for 35L instead for speed. Finding one in the center or getting to Heathrow very early return flight day will be harder. Needless incompetent PITA for vaccinated people. 

12 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Weren't there thousands of Australians not allowed to come home for a long while? 

IIRC there were people in Peru who were unable to leave the country. Different to the Australians who could do what they liked where they were, and were free to leave, but were unable to return to Australia because of the limits in quarantine places here  and hence on airline seats.

Guest MikeThomas

Looking forward to my trip to London in mid-January.  Will wear my mask, won’t be hiring.  Will do lots of outdoor activities.  Had an extremely mild case of COVID a year ago and am now tripled jabbed.  Life goes on.

Masks not widely worn - even indoors. Not required.   Fair warning. Masks worn on the tube / Tfl trains  though from my observation, though not on the inner city trains. I took Avanti West Coast.  Most people in the UK seem to have conveniently forgotten how to use them ( and this was from my visit back in September)

Coming from the US I found this strange. I had just been in Brazil a month prior in early August and I walked out on the street without a mask ( forgot)  and EVERYONE gave me an evil eye, had to go back to my hotel to get one. Different place different rules different norms. 

Its a personal risk assessment you need to make, depending on the circumstances, your risk , age and health status.  3X myself also. 

Edited by jetlow

• 4 weeks later...

Mask wearing is increasing now with the new variant spreading. I’d say 90% on tube, and fines are being made for those caught without a mask. 
I think rate of booster jabs is increasing too.

Government is trying to walk a path between full lockdown and total free for all because it knows it’s impossible to stop the spread indefinitely but important to reduce the peak of infections to avoid health system overload. It’s trying to manage the rate of infection, not eliminate it, so that majority of population is vaccinated and the severity of illness is reduced. Let’s hope they’re right. 

Cases are spiking here in Canada as well. The hospitals are not being overwhelmed in most areas but not all. Kingston, a small university city, started sending patients to other centres this week. 

I'm waiting for my booster shot in a week. Staying pretty well quiet in the meantime. Wear my mask whenever in indoor spaces. Lots of friends are not doing the same, though, as they appear to be becoming complacent.

• 2 months later...

I'm reviving this thread as the subject of it is now planning on visiting Montreal from his home base in Paris in mid-March. He goes by Monsieur_Hung on RM. He calls himself Kevin but in an old review was called Yuri. This thread started off about how expensive his rates are but then got into other providers and Covid issues.

Has anyone here actually been with him? He has many positive reviews but a half dozen clients have written 4 or 5 each. I contacted him and his rates are $450 an hour in Cdn$, or $350US.