ericwinters
This topic is 940 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 10/26/2021 at 5:45 AM, BnaC said:

I got my booster.  So far,  no problems.  My first was J&J, so this is my second.  I got Pfizer. 

Was the Pfizer your choice, or just what was available? Wondering because I got the J&J in March and want to get a booster now. Not sure whether to stick with J&J (I had one day of fever after the first. No Covid for me, but two of my office mates who got the J&J when I did have had Covid since.) or to go for one of the other vaccines.

Just now, jeezopete said:

Was the Pfizer your choice, or just what was available? Wondering because I got the J&J in March and want to get a booster now. Not sure whether to stick with J&J (I had one day of fever after the first. No Covid for me, but two of my office mates who got the J&J when I did have had Covid since.) or to go for one of the other vaccines.

I think that the longer-term data has shown that the Moderna seems to be the best among the 3 available in the US (and probably the world). Pfizer ain't far behind. But there's little data on that, and none comparing J&J directly with the other options. If it were me, I'd go with Moderna, but would definitely get something if it's been 7 months!

11 hours ago, Rudynate said:

filet mignon

flatiron steak

prime top sirloin

flank steak

You can't go wrong with any of these.  Flatiron steak in particular is very lean, but it has a full beefy flavor that's amazing.

I got mine in late August at Kaiser -  just in time for my hip surgery. Kaiser has been nothing short of amazing through the  pandemic.  They really pulled it together. Reminded me of the way they care for troops in the military.

Edited by Rudynate
duplicate post

A colleague of mine went for her Pfizer booster yesterday at one of the large national pharmacies.  Last night she received an automated call to contact the pharmacy about an urgent issue concerning her booster. 

When she finally reached someone, she was informed the technician didn’t dilute the vaccine so she received 5x the recommended booster dose.  The pharmacy contacted the county health department who referred them to the CDC.  They and her PCP advised her to monitor herself for severe side-effects and get to the ER if she starts experiencing tingling or pinching in her feet and legs, which are two early symptoms of Guillain-Barré Syndrome.  Apparently there’s some evidence linking over doses of the Pfizer COVID vaccine with GBS.  

I’m sure the pharmacy is circling the wagons and preparing for inquiries and potential lawsuits.  The technician was a contractor and not a pharmacy employee, but I doubt that exonerates the pharmacy of any liability.  

Edited by RJD

The TGA approved the use of Pfizer as a booster in Australia and ATAGI the national vaccine advisory group, recommended rolling the third dose out to everyone in the country six months second doses, from 8 Nov. Not everyone has had their initial course of vaccinations, but the government says they have enough supply to run both programs together. Vaccinations will continue to be offered at pharmacies, GPs' offices and state vaccination centres.

7 hours ago, jeezopete said:

It was a choice based on availability.  Based on efficacy, I believe the CDC actually recommends moderna over Pfizer following JNJ.   I may have made the wrong choice not waiting, but we shall see.  

“It found that recipients of Johnson & Johnson‘s single-dose shot who received a Moderna booster saw their antibody levels rise 76-fold in 15 days, compared with only a 4-fold increase after an extra dose of Johnson & Johnson. A shot of the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine also raised the antibody levels of Johnson & Johnson recipients more than a second Johnson & Johnson did, although not as much as Moderna, Gomez reported”

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/10/19/covid-19-vaccine-mix-and-match-study-booster-shots-johnson-and-johnson-moderna-fda-cdc/

On 10/28/2021 at 11:53 PM, RJD said:

A colleague of mine went for her Pfizer booster yesterday at one of the large national pharmacies.  Last night she received an automated call to contact the pharmacy about an urgent issue concerning her booster. 

When she finally reached someone, she was informed the technician didn’t dilute the vaccine so she received 5x the recommended booster dose.  The pharmacy contacted the county health department who referred them to the CDC.  They and her PCP advised her to monitor herself for severe side-effects and get to the ER if she starts experiencing tingling or pinching in her feet and legs, which are two early symptoms of Guillain-Barré Syndrome.  Apparently there’s some evidence linking over doses of the Pfizer COVID vaccine with GBS.  

I’m sure the pharmacy is circling the wagons and preparing for inquiries and potential lawsuits.  The technician was a contractor and not a pharmacy employee, but I doubt that exonerates the pharmacy of any liability.  

What the actual hell? Hope she is ok! I know mistakes happen, but these are the kind of incidents that we do not need when we have so many resisting getting vaccinated!!!

I'm not aware that I am eligible for a booster yet, but would like one. I have had Pfizer and would like to mix it with a Moderna 3rd booster. Did I read they were saying that was ok to do? It makes sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, HotWhiteThirties said:

What the actual hell? Hope she is ok! I know mistakes happen, but these are the kind of incidents that we do not need when we have so many resisting getting vaccinated!!!

I'm not aware that I am eligible for a booster yet, but would like one. I have had Pfizer and would like to mix it with a Moderna 3rd booster. Did I read they were saying that was ok to do? It makes sense to me. 

Physically she's ok, but she was already a bit of a hypochondriac, so she's freaking out if she gets any kind of strange sensations in her feet or legs, convinced it's the start of GBS.  She still hasn't received anything official from the pharmacy, just an incident number.  She was provided with a web site to report vaccination issues.  The county health department and CDC were informed, so there should be a record of it.  Although she's not interested in pursuing legal action, I'm sure at least one of the others who were overdosed that day will.  I suggested if anything, she should have documentation in the event she does experience a negative reaction, so any costs not covered by her insurance will be covered by the pharmacy. 

I just received my Moderna booster and flu shot this morning.  My only concern is another friend who received his Moderna booster and flu shot on Friday had severe reactions and ended up in the ER on Saturday night for over 7 hours.  I know we all react differently, so I'm just hoping I don't get too severe of a reaction. 

I read you can mix the vaccines.  When I registered for my booster, it asked which brand I had for my first two but had the option to choose which brand I wanted for the booster.  I stuck with Moderna.  

2 hours ago, HotWhiteThirties said:

The data are sparse in the mixing and matching because, understandably, there's no much financial incentive there. In the absence of real data, there are decent theoretical reasons you might pick either. The main argument for Pfizer is that you're boosting antibodies you already have, and stimulating specific memory cells. The main argument for Moderna is that it has the best track record over the long-haul. The main argument for a J&J is that you'd now have antibodies against different parts of the virus, which could be helpful. However, to re-emphasize, there is no actual data on the mixing and matching, so anyone who things he "knows" the right answer is deluding himself. 

For myself, I got 3 Pfizers, since that's where the science is, and, if it comes out that a 4th shot is needed, I'll know that with real scientific data.