What iPhone would you recommend?

g56whiz
This topic is 885 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My iPhone6S plus is now nearly 6 years old. I’ve replaced the battery twice and I probably need to do it again. But before that I should consider upgrading. I’m in the habit of getting the newest phone each time with the most memory and keeping it as long as practical. AT&T is my carrier but I get my phones unlocked so I can swap in a local SimCard when I’m overseas (frequently). The problem for me is that don’t give a hoot for camera features and that’s where most of the new iPhone technology is headed. I’ll be staying with iPhones: I’m too old and lazy to learn a new O/S. What would you recommend and why?  Thanks

If you’re extremely budget conscious, the current SE is a perfectly fine phone. For not much more, however, you can get the XR, which gets rid of the bezel, meaning that the entire front of the phone is screen with no border (read: much larger screen in a similarly sized phone). The XR also has a longer lasting battery.  Beyond that, you start getting into the fancier cameras and slightly newer chips, neither of which sound important to you.

Kevin Slater

The screen on the SE is exactly what you’re used to with the 6S.  Try the XR, you’ll be impressed.   You can actually read the newspaper, for example. 

It would only cost $49 to replace the battery in your 6S, but I say that’s better applied to a brand new phone ($399 and $499 for the models I’ve recommended).  They’ll  probably also give you a few bucks to trade in your 6S.

It may not be necessary to max your memory any more, as they’re no longer selling phones with ridiculously poor memory.  See how much you’re currently using and let that inform your decision on a new phone.

I agree with getting an unlocked phone.  More flexibility, no downside. 

Kevin Slater

Well it depends on what you use your phone for, the idea of getting the newest iPhone is just pretentious because we don’t event know how to use the new features lol my smartphone is smarter than me, so I’d say to just go for the SE, is the cheapest, is still and iPhone and has the same features as most of the newest, it comes in different pretty colors and won’t give you any kind of problems, you should get the one with the most memory tho so you can storage a lot of things.

• 3 months later...

I just preordered the iphone 13. Hated to do it, but the battery of my SE (second generation) has been draining consistently the past few months and most recently after the OS upgrade. I’ve also had the battery replaced a few years ago.  The technician told me that the battery is still good at 90% and everything I‘ve done to optimize battery life is in place, however, the new OS requires more power… not sure I get it… but it sounds like planned obsolescence to me.

Regardless, I‘ve had my trusty SE for a number of years when the version 6 came out so i guess it‘s ok to upgrade. I picked the smallest size 5.4“ as i don‘t think my pants can fit the larger 6.1 or 6.7 inch phones.  

Now i have to buy all the new cases and gadgets for the new phone. 

Edited by cany10011

2 hours ago, cany10011 said:

I just preordered the iphone 13. Hated to do it, but the battery of my SE (second generation) has been draining consistently the past few months and most recently after the OS upgrade. I’ve also had the battery replaced a few years ago.  The technician told me that the battery is still good at 90% and everything I‘ve done to optimize battery life is in place, however, the new OS requires more power… not sure I get it… but it sounds like planned obsolescence to me.

Regardless, I‘ve had my trusty SE for a number of years when the version 6 came out so i guess it‘s ok to upgrade. I picked the smallest size 5.4“ as i don‘t think my pants can fit the larger 6.1 or 6.7 inch phones.  

I also keep my old SE because it is convenient to carry if I am just going out for a short trip, but I have also noticed that since the latest update it won't hold a charge for more than a day, even with little use. My 11 is a much more useful machine, but it is so damn heavy in a pocket (because I live in PS, I hardly ever wear anything but a T-shirt and shorts for half the year).

5 hours ago, cany10011 said:

The hard part is getting used to the new phone. I just switched out my 3 yr old  S9+  for a new "almost top of the line" Sammy S21 5G because the promo was too good not to- promos and trade-ins took it from 1000 to 200 and I had a giftcard for that. I thought the free store transfer would be seamless. Ha! Besides few apps transferring the screen look and notifications are still driving me nuts after a whole day of tweaking.I've been looking for this puppy barking outside and now i find it's a notification.  It's an ordeal. 

Have some sedatives and comfort food available. And if you want to ever play a trick get on someone's phone and set a notification to "Bark". 

Edited by tassojunior

On 5/31/2021 at 1:52 PM, g56whiz said:

My iPhone6S plus is now nearly 6 years old. I’ve replaced the battery twice and I probably need to do it again. But before that I should consider upgrading. I’m in the habit of getting the newest phone each time with the most memory and keeping it as long as practical. AT&T is my carrier but I get my phones unlocked so I can swap in a local SimCard when I’m overseas (frequently). The problem for me is that don’t give a hoot for camera features and that’s where most of the new iPhone technology is headed. I’ll be staying with iPhones: I’m too old and lazy to learn a new O/S. What would you recommend and why?  Thanks

The newest one...

Edited by marylander1940

If you have Verizon, they are running a promotion through the end of the month (Sept 30) that gives extensive credit towards a new iPhone 13.  For example, I can trade in my 11—with a cracked screen even—and get $1,000 towards the 13!  I’m not sure how much older models amount in credit, but I was impressed with a cracked 11 price.

07D9B42B-D143-4778-95DA-A5DF16340C4E.jpeg

On 9/21/2021 at 1:04 PM, HoseMaster said:

If you have Verizon, they are running a promotion through the end of the month (Sept 30) that gives extensive credit towards a new iPhone 13.  For example, I can trade in my 11—with a cracked screen even—and get $1,000 towards the 13!  I’m not sure how much older models amount in credit, but I was impressed with a cracked 11 price.

07D9B42B-D143-4778-95DA-A5DF16340C4E.jpeg

i think Veizon is giving $800 trade-in toward the 13 for a lot of phones.

Here's the list and how much:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/conditional-offers/verizon-iphone-13-trade-in/pcmcat1631804983518.c?id=pcmcat1631804983518

I'm shocked I could have gotten $800 for my old Sammy S9 !

Edited by tassojunior

6 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

It apparently can go UP TO $1000 depending on what phone you're upgrading from and to.  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/conditional-offers/verizon-iphone-13-trade-in/pcmcat1631804983518.c?id=pcmcat1631804983518

I am holding on to my old iPhone SE until it dies.  Or I die.  At this point it is a matter of honor! lol 

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, Charlie said:

(because I live in PS, I hardly ever wear anything but a T-shirt and shorts for half the year).

What does living in Palm Springs have to with anything?  I live in NYC and wear t-shirts and shorts from late March until roughly Halloween, when I switch to t-shirts and sweatpants.

Edited by samhexum

On 5/31/2021 at 3:52 PM, g56whiz said:

What iPhone would you recommend?

Whichever one my sister and brother in law gave me when they put me on their phone plan, which I turn on once or twice every month or two to make a call then turn off right away so I almost never have to bother charging it.

Believe it has to do with flimsy clothing and wanting to maintain a trim silhouette. 

49 minutes ago, samhexum said:

What does living in Palm Springs have to with anything?  I live in NYC and wear t-shirts and shorts from late March until roughly Halloween, when I switch to t-shirts and sweatpants.