Men Wearing Engagement Rings

Lucky
This topic is 1071 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

We have been together for 41 years, but only married for 4. We bought wedding rings when we got married. I thought I would always wear mine, but but never having worn a ring before, I found that it was uncomfortable. Now, I don't wear mine everyday, but I do like to wear it when I leave the house. On the other hand, my husband has a landscape business and works with dirty hands everyday. I thought he would find that wearing a ring was impractical. Completely wrong. He loves wearing his ring and "feels naked" when he is not wearing it. He has even come home from work when he has forgotten to put it back on when he washes his hands or takes a shower. Go figure.

Have to say, not a fan. Most of my friends who have married wear a simple wedding band. I remember hearing growing up “men don’t wear diamonds - unless you’re a gangster“ ?

If one did adopt the whole engagement ring thing - do you both get one? If only one, does it mean the one getting the engagement ring is the passive one in the relationship? I can hear some of my more activist/outspoken friend’s railing about “conforming to heteronormative standards. lol

I do know one couple who in lieu of rings, got matching tattoos, another piercings. At the end of the day, do whatever you want, and f—- the begrudgers! ??

I have worn some kind of ring on my left hand for all of my adult life, so when I got married, I simply replaced the signet ring with a gold wedding band. My spouse did the same. We were never formally "engaged" (we just lived together to 45 years before we got married), so I have never thought about engagement rings for men.

My parents were never formally engaged, so my mother didn't have an engagement ring. They had been married about 20 years when something happened that made my mother wish she had an engagement ring like one of her friends did, so my father told her to go out and buy one. She bought a simple diamond ring, and wore it all the time with her wedding ring for the rest of her life.

Have to say, not a fan. Most of my friends who have married wear a simple wedding band. I remember hearing growing up “men don’t wear diamonds - unless you’re a gangster“ ?

If one did adopt the whole engagement ring thing - do you both get one? If only one, does it mean the one getting the engagement ring is the passive one in the relationship? I can hear some of my more activist/outspoken friend’s railing about “conforming to heteronormative standards. lol

I do know one couple who in lieu of rings, got matching tattoos, another piercings. At the end of the day, do whatever you want, and f—- the begrudgers! ??

Tattoos are a bitch if the marriage doesn't last--you can't take them off easily, and you can't pawn them.

Tradition dictates that the man save up for the engagement ring to present to his fiance. If she breaks off the engagement, she is expected to return it. If he breaks it off, she can keep it.

According to this new 21st century trend of men wearing engagement rings, who saves up for the ring? Far more women today get bachelors degrees than men, and women getting post-grad degrees still outnumber men. It's fair to expect that the woman pays for the ring, and whether or not the man keeps it depends on who breaks the engagement.

All that said, I would never wear a diamond ring ... way too pimpy. Pimpy's great if you can pull it off, but I would just make a fool of myself.

For straight couples, the entire wedding ritual is mainly for women. The engagement ring is a status symbol for women, but it’s a also a sort of down payment, a disincentive for men who might be tempted to skip out on the whole thing. Maybe I’m not very woke, but I don’t expect the role reversal to catch on.