Monday Musings on Members

BtmBearDad
This topic is 1122 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

does anyone else assign voices to different members

Assigning voices is bizarre.

It might seem bizarre on first blush, but if you invert the thought process and ponder how often you hear someone speak for the first time and it is jarring because that's not how you thought they would sound, it illustrates that people can and do imagine a voice for people they haven't heard speak. Consciously attributing a particular speaking voice to them isn't a particularly big step beyond having an unconscious expectation of how they will sound. As others have noted there is a similar phenomenon with picturing people you have only heard speak, like radio announcers and now podcast makers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it’s worth, I think you succeed - I for one enjoy your posts.?

I agree, those conversations would be very interesting, as some members’ avatars of themselves are damn hot! ?

I also agree that even those with avatars of someone/something else do intrigue. What does this mean to the poster? Why did they pick it? ?

For the record, that’s not me in my avatar - I’m not quite that big, and while a furry fellow, I’m a blond, tho more silver now; and, I’ve no tub in my master - I ripped it out to install a walk in shower. But I do like wine, so there’s that ?

I would have to disagree with you. I believe your current avatar is actually you, and as suchyou are indeed hot, white, and in your thirties! I’m sure I’m not alone I’m thinking that - either here, or in real life ?

Thanks, BBD! Very kind. I enjoy your posts as well.

Like you, I find the avatar picture is an interesting link even if it's only a representation of that member's interests (which is a huge part of what is discussed here). Sounds like you need a bathtub to soak in, though! ??

PS. Yes, it's me, but I crossed into a new "decade," over a year ago now. I'm not ashamed to admit it. As they say, time marches on...

I always find myself conjuring up a mental picture of the disembodied poster, depending on what facts I know about him. For instance, I always thought of marylander1940 as a guy in his 50s, with a full head of greying hair, until he mentioned that the 1940 in his handle was his birth year; now whenever I read one of his posts, I see someone much older, with thinning disheveled hair, in my mind's eye. Sometimes I also hear voices o_O, but usually only if I know something about the writer's background that suggests a regional or ethnic accent in my mind. If I actually meet one of the posters in person, I almost always discover that my mental image is way off. I thought of Lookin as a kind of goofy-looking nerd, but when I met him for the first time recently, I was surprised at how handsome he was.

I doubt @marylander1940 ever looks hair disheveled. He clearly pays attention to his appearance

My mental representation of many posters is their avatar.

I don't quite look like that. Though I'm always horny... ;)

I always find myself conjuring up a mental picture of the disembodied poster, depending on what facts I know about him. For instance, I always thought of marylander1940 as a guy in his 50s, with a full head of greying hair, until he mentioned that the 1940 in his handle was his birth year; now whenever I read one of his posts, I see someone much older, with thinning disheveled hair, in my mind's eye. Sometimes I also hear voices o_O, but usually only if I know something about the writer's background that suggests a regional or ethnic accent in my mind. If I actually meet one of the posters in person, I almost always discover that my mental image is way off. I thought of Lookin as a kind of goofy-looking nerd, but when I met him for the first time recently, I was surprised at how handsome he was.

Please... you're not spring chicken ???

So many posters in their 70s and 60s are not that far from me.

I don't know what to think about men in their 20s and 30s who hire nowadays folks their own age.

I also tend to believe many descriptions/stats aren't accurate and they're based on how we want others to see us.

Edited by marylander1940

Thanks, BBD! Very kind. I enjoy your posts as well.

Like you, I find the avatar picture is an interesting link even if it's only a representation of that member's interests (which is a huge part of what is discussed here). Sounds like you need a bathtub to soak in, though! ??

PS. Yes, it's me, but I crossed into a new "decade," over a year ago now. I'm not ashamed to admit it. As they say, time marches on...

Is that your butt?

Please... you're not spring chicken ???

So many posters in their 70s and 60s are not that far from me.

I don't know what to think about men in their 20s and 30s who hire nowadays folks their own age.

I also tend to believe many descriptions/stats aren't accurate and they're based on how we want others to see us.

There is a reason why I wear that big wig.

For the record, that’s not me in my avatar - I’m not quite that big, and while a furry fellow, I’m a blond, tho more silver now; and, I’ve no tub in my master - I ripped it out to install a walk in shower. But I do like wine, so there’s that ?

From your avatar and screename I thought you might look like Dirk Caber in a bathtub.

I am sure sounding like @Unicorn while honestly complimenting @HotWhiteThirties body and butt IS a good thing!

All good. I take it as a compliment, and at the same time admire the real pros out there. I can't imagine what they must do to be truly successful in this business long term. Honored anyone might consider me fit for the job, but I know I am no where near that level.

I remember a friend of mine, when she crossed into her new decade, (about a decade ago), she said she was “thirty-ten” ? So, using her logic, your profile name is still apt! ???

I hope this doesn’t come off in a “creepy older guy” way, but honestly mate, if your avatar was a thumbnail on RM, you’d have this man’s attention! ?

From your avatar and screename I thought you might look like Dirk Caber in a bathtub.

You’re very kind! While Dirk and I are just a year apart in age, I believe I’m more hirsute, my hair is more blond/silver, and he is only about 5’9”, giving me a half foot on him - I won’t even touch the weight differential other than to say, I have him on that too ? Needless to say, Dirk could fit far more comfortably/easily in a pre-war NYC tub than I! ?

As I’m thinking about it, it was a former member who suggested the avatar I’m using - perhaps it’s time for a new one? ?

I remember a friend of mine, when she crossed into her new decade, (about a decade ago), she said she was “thirty-ten” ? So, using her logic, your profile name is still apt! ???

I hope this doesn’t come off in a “creepy older guy” way, but honestly mate, if your avatar was a thumbnail on RM, you’d have this man’s attention! ?

That sounds like a real "legal" argument around my screen name conundrum. Thanks, BBG! ?

On creeping out...all is cool. If I was gonna get bent outta shape about that, I'm a dumbass for putting that as my avatar in the first place, right?

As I’m thinking about it, it was a former member who suggested the avatar I’m using - perhaps it’s time for a new one? ?

Perhaps rugby thighs and ass? Yummy! ?

Thanks, BBG! ?

Always happy to be of assistance, mate! ?

As George Costanza said, “It’s not a lie if you believe it!” ?

all is cool.

You sir, are the cool one! ??

Perhaps rugby thighs and ass? Yummy! ?

I agree wholeheartedly that ruggers are pretty damn yummy ?, and while I still have some good pins, and a pretty nice walk away, I think I’ll spare your eyes by not posting my own ?

I looked for a nice thighs/ass pic of either Brian O’Driscoll or Cían Healy to use, and came across the pic I’m now using. Having had my own shorts torn like that more than once on the pitch, (and off the pitch ?), the pic spoke to me ?