Do only adults like dark chocolate?

This topic is 1139 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was going through the easter candy section in the store, and could only find one tiny section with dark chocolate (only the Dove rabbits). Over 90% of the chocolate sold was milk chocolate. I don't remember what I preferred as a child, but I strongly prefer dark chocolate, and most people I know do as well. Is it mostly children who like milk chocolate, then switch to dark as adults? What do you prefer? Do any of you know any children who prefer dark chocolate? There doesn't seem like much of a market for dark chocolate with children.

61RbKtC1ooL._SL1000_.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only milk chocolate/dark chocolate preference age demographics I have been able to find are the following researchgate.net 2014 numbers.

The following bar charts indicate that milk chocolate and dark chocolate both trend highest and closely in popularity with 21-30 year olds, and that the popularity of milk chocolate decreases while the popularity of dark chocolate increases as people age >30.

Demographic analyses on consumer respondents a(i): gender preference towards milk chocolate; a(ii): age preference towards milk chocolate; b(i): gender preference towards dark chocolate; b(ii): age preference towards dark chocolate

Demographic-analyses-on-consumer-respondents-ai-gender-preference-towards-milk.png

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Demographic-analyses-on-consumer-respondents-ai-gender-preference-towards-milk_fig1_271842524

Since World War II was going on during my early childhood, candy was scarce; sugar was rationed. My earliest memory of dark chocolate was a Mr. Goodyear bar. I've been a fan of dark chocolate since then--probably more than seventy years ago.