How to Realize a Fulfilled Life?

MysticMenace
This topic is 1180 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are times, like this week, when I try to step back from everything (internet, phone, TV) and just self-reflect. Being 35 I guess for some people is still relatively young, though I wouldn't necessarily say it's too young given retirement age and average mortality rates. For some of the esteemed, more experienced members in the forum, would you say you have lived a fulfilled life?

Perhaps it is never something one can plan and strategize for, though I wonder if there are some sage, hopefully non-judgmental advice or lessons learned, for those that have been on earth for a while on what they wished they have done or could have done to say they have lived a fulfilled life.

I think I have lived an interesting life and one that I can reflect back on with many smiles and a few sighs of remorse or regret.

One regret that was totally controllable, is not traveling more and as a result not seeing the beauty of this world. I thought I would get to do that when I retired, but I have not retired and the world has been closed for the last year and will be for quite some more time. So perhaps I will never get that opportunity.

I would also be a bit more fulfilled had I been a bigger slut when I was single, a kinder partner when I was lucky enogh to have a special person in my life and kinder to myself when I did not.

"Do not sweat the small stuff" and the corollary "It is all small stuff" these should be a mantra you play on rewind in your head when driving, waiting in line and talking with salespeople and many other times during your life as well.

Ultimately what has made my life a fulfilled one is loving the people I have loved, doing the things personally and professionally that I love and finding peace in the insanity of life.

My mother once told me that everyone deserves a few minutes of insanity each day. In my minutes of insanity, I have found the greatest fulfillment and personal peace.

Oh and try to dance while singing along with a favorite song. If it is good enough for Snoopy it is good enough for me.

My grandmother gave me some wonderful advice when I graduated from college. She encouraged me to practice gratitude as if it were akin to breathing. And each day, it must become a way of life. So for some 30 years, I’ve written hundreds of cards, made dozens of phone calls every week or so to simply say “thank you” to the people in my life who’ve made me a better person. I could write a book (maybe some day) on how it’s changed me - almost as good as compound interest in a savings account. Next week‘s sermon is entitled ...

Live in the truth.

Feel sufficiently comfortable with your decision-making to make new choices regularly. Embrace change; do not fear it.

Opting to maintain the status quo is rarely the right choice.

Consider carefully how many people you allow to have a vote on your life's direction. (Note: in my case, it's zero.)

Step outside your comfort zone regularly. Consider activities that challenge your values rather than affirm them.

Read. Ask people what they're reading. And why.

Play offense. It's a hell of a lot more fun than playing defense.

Say "yes" as often as you can. Be generous with your time, your talent, your treasure.

Work to meet people of a different generation than your own. Cultivate these relationships.

Consider what you'd like your legacy on this planet to be. Pursue this.

@JoeMendoza ... I've been around a bit longer than you, but haven't had the fullnes of life experience that most people in their 40s have had. Most of this is because of my own skewed perceptions of myself and a helluva lot of procrastination. But here are a few things I've managed to glean along the way, even though I fail to apply them often enough myself.

Treat everyone the way you would like to be treated yourself.

Desire the very best for those around you, even if that means giving up something for yourself.

Be an active listener.

Don't take anyone or anything for granted.

Even if a situation seems to be overwhelming there are often important lessons that can be learned.

Practice forgiveness every day.

Don't put things off - tomorrow isn't promised to everyone.

Make friends of people from all walks of life, backgrounds, and ages.

Be patient and kind with yourself.

There are very few things in this life that are completely insurmountable.

Even if we live 120 years, our life span is like a drop of water in an ocean of eternity.

Do not be afraid of your internal doubts and questions, but rather, question and doubt whatever fears you may have.

Remember that you are unique amongst the 7 billion other humans on this planet, and celebrate that incredible reality.

Be humbled by the fact that you will never know everything, and do not fail to be amazed by the mysteries of life and the intricasies of the cosmos.

I have been everywhere I wanted to go, done everything I wanted to do, had every experience I wanted to have. The joys have outweighed the sorrows. I would like to have more, but if I were told it would end tomorrow, I would feel prepared. I don't want to be around so long that I wished it would all end.

There are times, like this week, when I try to step back from everything (internet, phone, TV) and just self-reflect. Being 35 I guess for some people is still relatively young, though I wouldn't necessarily say it's too young given retirement age and average mortality rates. For some of the esteemed, more experienced members in the forum, would you say you have lived a fulfilled life?

Perhaps it is never something one can plan and strategize for, though I wonder if there are some sage, hopefully non-judgmental advice or lessons learned, for those that have been on earth for a while on what they wished they have done or could have done to say they have lived a fulfilled life.

That fact that you are looking, questioning, open minded, and pondering this is a huge step on the path forward! Congrats!

My grandmother gave me some wonderful advice when I graduated from college. She encouraged me to practice gratitude as if it were akin to breathing. And each day, it must become a way of life. So for some 30 years, I’ve written hundreds of cards, made dozens of phone calls every week or so to simply say “thank you” to the people in my life who’ve made me a better person. I could write a book (maybe some day) on how it’s changed me - almost as good as compound interest in a savings account. Next week‘s sermon is entitled ...

Thank you for your post, @KrisParr

@JoeMendoza ... I've been around a bit longer than you, but haven't had the fullnes of life experience that most people in their 40s have had. Most of this is because of my own skewed perceptions of myself and a helluva lot of procrastination. But here are a few things I've managed to glean along the way, even though I fail to apply them often enough myself.

Treat everyone the way you would like to be treated yourself.

Desire the very best for those around you, even if that means giving up something for yourself.

Be an active listener.

Don't take anyone or anything for granted.

Even if a situation seems to be overwhelming there are often important lessons that can be learned.

Practice forgiveness every day.

Don't put things off - tomorrow isn't promised to everyone.

Make friends of people from all walks of life, backgrounds, and ages.

Be patient and kind with yourself.

There are very few things in this life that are completely insurmountable.

Even if we live 120 years, our life span is like a drop of water in an ocean of eternity.

Do not be afraid of your internal doubts and questions, but rather, question and doubt whatever fears you may have.

Remember that you are unique amongst the 7 billion other humans on this planet, and celebrate that incredible reality.

Be humbled by the fact that you will never know everything, and do not fail to be amazed by the mysteries of life and the intricasies of the cosmos.

You've learned more than you think you did. This is a great list. Your #1 is my #1 and it usually works well for me.