If you could have chosen your first name, what would it be?

Merboy
This topic is 1184 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For me these would have been the top 5 finalists:

Justin- My mother loved Justin Hayward and wanted to call me this but my father said no.

Nolan- Just in general a really nice well-rounded name.

Joshua- Classic and yet sounds still modern.

Jason- Strong, elegant.

Kyle- Just cool. :cool:

Here are the most common names from 1985, the year I was born: (You can change the year with the drop-down menu)

https://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/united-states/1985

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin- My mother loved Justin Hayward and wanted to call me this but my father said no.

Jason- Strong, elegant.

Here are the most common names from 1985, the year I was born: (You can change the year with the drop-down menu)

Jean-Luc, Jean-Pierre, Jean-Robert, Ice-T. I would love a double barrel first name. ?

Jason- Strong, elegant.

Gandalf. I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the blame of Anor! ;)

5cff1482696338a6b981ee0273c7c2a6.jpg

Noah (idk - I just think it's unique enough and not too many letters to write or fill out a scantron form) and Cody coz I wanna manifest BDE - seems like folks with that name just have a nice equipment, right @Hung_Cody?

FYI,m you can put the word HUNG in front of Any name. And FYI, most people that do it, AINT !!!! ?

I hated my first name when I was growing up because it was so often mispronounced. 10-year-old me was going to change it to "Matthew" when I came of age, and even skipped picking that for my confirmation name. I am more comfortable with it now, but I have moments of wishing for a two-syllable name that could be shortened; using the full name as a more "formal" name but the shortened version as a more familiar version.

I was nearly "Frederick Martin III", but both parents claimed that the other parent wanted that name and they put their foot down.

Jason- Strong, elegant.

Thanks for that link, Merboy. Checking it confirmed my belief that my name was the most popular one the year I was born. In one grade school classroom 5 of us shared it. That sometimes allowed us to stall with "Who, me?" if called upon for an answer we didn't know. ?

Edited by prof

Thanks for that link, Merboy. Checking it confirmed my belief that my name was the most pooular one the year I was born. In one grade school classroom 5 of us shared it. That sometimes allowed us to stall with "Who, me?" if called upon for an answer we didn't know. ?

I have a very very common name too but strangely enough there were very few boys named that in my high school. It might be that in some states the names are more common or less common.

When a good friend of mine named Eleanor arrived at a new school when she was an adolescent, it turned out that there were already three other Eleanors in her small class. Her last name was Martin, so the teacher said, "Well, we are just going to call you 'Marty' for now." But it stuck all through school, so that was the name she used for the rest of her long life, because she didn't really like "Eleanor" anyway.

My own name is pretty far down the list for my birth year, and I rarely shared a class with anyone else with the same name. I didn't mind my name, because it was easy to pronounce and had no awkward connotations (like "Adolph" or "Dick"), but it has more than one common spelling, so I usually have to spell it for someone who wants to write it down.

Names fascinate me. A client of mine (when I was a probation officer in another life) had seven children. Her youngest, and last, was named, ”Seven”. I am completely serious - you can guess the other six.

I do get tired of people asking me what my real first name is. No, it’s not Kristopher, it’s just plain Kris. Tofur is my middle name.

Edited by KrisParr

Names fascinate me. A client of mine (when I was a probation officer in another life) had seven children. Her youngest, and last, was named, ”Seven”. I am completely serious - you can guess the other six.

It was quite common for the Romans to give their children numerical names, like Sixtus or Octavius. Your client could have named her child Septimus. If I were Italian, I might have been named Primo.

It was quite common for the Romans to give their children numerical names, like Sixtus or Octavius. Your client could have named her child Septimus. If I were Italian, I might have been named Primo.

I like the Roman-sounding names Maximus and Atticus - Maximus was from Gladiator and Atticus Finch.