If you could have chosen your first name, what would it be?

Merboy
This topic is 1194 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather like my name (it's not Oliver:)). My mother wanted to name me "Dean", but at the time there was a pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals whose name was Dizzy Dean and she didn't want me called "Dizzy". Thus my name. My brother, my sister and I all had names for which there is no nickname.

By a strange coincidence, my mother-in-law and my aunt had the same uncommon Latin name (it was down in the 800s among names given to babies in their birth years). My aunt always wanted to be called by a more common nickname, but my mother-in-law was always called by her full multi-syllabic name, which meant that people usually asked her how she got that name.

My common nickname is simply a shortening of my full name, and one can usually tell how well someone knows me by which one they use, but the difference is not what you might expect: my family and close friends use my full name, while more casual acquaintances usually use the nickname.

By a strange coincidence, my mother-in-law and my aunt had the same uncommon Latin name (it was down in the 800s among names given to babies in their birth years). My aunt always wanted to be called by a more common nickname, but my mother-in-law was always called by her full multi-syllabic name, which meant that people usually asked her how she got that name.

My common nickname is simply a shortening of my full name, and one can usually tell how well someone knows me by which one they use, but the difference is not what you might expect: my family and close friends use my full name, while more casual acquaintances usually use the nickname.

One more story about names, and then I’ll shut up. One of my clients had a child whose name was “L-a” Seriously.

So when I met her, I fumbled a bit and finally asked how to pronounce it. Her reply?

”Lahdashah” Yep. What I mistook for a hyphen she said was a “dash”. Ergo, L-dash-a. Child abuse, plain and simple. You can’t make up this shit.

One more story about names, and then I’ll shut up. One of my clients had a child whose name was “L-a” Seriously.

So when I met her, I fumbled a bit and finally asked how to pronounce it. Her reply?

”Lahdashah” Yep. What I mistook for a hyphen she said was a “dash”. Ergo, L-dash-a. Child abuse, plain and simple. You can’t make up this shit.