What happened to your school bully?

7829V
This topic is 1185 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High school: He drowned in a swimming accident 40 years ago. (There were witnesses and I was no where near ;) )

College: he went on to law school and became a second rate ambulance chaser because no one in the law firms could work with him. He avoids me because I’ve so far surpassed him personally and professionally and because I still call BS on his false bravado (and I do it with authority)

Very interesting question! The only bully I encountered in high school went on to college and ended up running a successful small-town insurance agency. Ran into him at 20-year reunion. You would have thought we had been best friends. He couldn’t have been nicer. Really weird encounter; people change, apparently.

He went to a local commuter school and became some kind of salesman. He still lives in a neighboring town to the suburb we grew up in. At our 50th high school reunion, I expected when we shook hands, he would try to crush mine, so I beat him to it; he looked shocked. A friend who was standing near us giggled, and told me afterwards, "Everyone knows Barry hasn't changed."

"Darrell" was the local tough kid who took on all challengers and usually knocked out his opponent in about one minute. He loved to pick fights. If you heard that Darrell was looking for you, a kid would be tempted to enter the Witness Protection Program.

Don't think people can change? Darrell went on the become a successful designer of Greeting Cards.

The "bully" in my class I don't think ever weighed more than 70 pounds so he could only pick on one other kid in the class...anyway he ended up going to jail multiple times and I believe he is still in jail for drug trafficking.

The asshole that made 9th and 10th grade a living hell for me flunked out of community college in his first year. He later developed a major addiction problem (not sure if it was drugs or alcohol). He ended up homeless and finally froze to death while squatting in a storage area his mother had rented. I have lost all contact with anyone I went to school with, except my favorite teacher, who later revealed herself as a lesbian. I still visit her and her wife several times a year. Living well is truly the best revenge...oh, and karma is a boomerang.

Ooohhh ....such an interesting question.

I was really only bullied badly in 8th grade. Just invisible in high school. My 8th grade bully was a beautiful jock who excelled effortlessly at every sport. He not only made sure I was always picked last, despite being decent at sports, he turned the few friends I did have against me. He would routinely embarrass me at school assemblies and the worst was at our 8th grade graduation, when he got people to chant that i am a loser because I made a gaffe during rehearsal on leading my row up to the podium.

anyway, he went off to a fancy private school for high school, and I had to go to our mediocre at best public high school.

he went off to Colgate and me to Harvard. Well, he died in the Lockerbie plane crash back in 1989. So he died at 21 years old. And I have made it to 52 years old, make 7 figures a year and have a great life with my husband. Up until about 5 years ago, I was happy about his death and though he got what he deserved. Now I feel bad for him and his family.....maybe I can’t blame someone for being an asshole in 8th grade

Didn't really have any bullies... they were around, and I was the nerdy, geeky, socially inept kid - but for some reason I was never targeted. ?‍♂️ Those who were bullies in my schools seemed to be very misunderstood individuals - often pretty bright, but often clearly broken in some way. This is not to excuse them in any way whatsoever - and I often stood up to them when I saw them bully others - but my experience has been that bullies aren't usually born that way.

The bullies that I had to deal with went into law enforcement - one as a prison guard and the other as head of security at a local university. Interesting choice of careers.

As I have now come to believe, hurt people hurt.

I’ve developed the belief that often people, and in some cases occupations, are “two sides of the same coin.” Related to that, though he wasn’t a “bully” perse, is my brother’s best friend. He had such bravado as a kid and a thrill and thirst for an adrenaline rush, that we both said he would ultimately be either a cop or a criminal. He entered the military and ultimately became a cop, but the point is that cops and criminals are often cut from similar cloths, but for better or worse, choose opposing pathways.

Edited by HotWhiteThirties