Watch out, here comes Unicorn!

This topic is 1161 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this was your attempt at humor, since for a physician, thats an irresponsible statement. I am sure you know, that eventhough YOU are vaccinated, most are not yet, and the same precautions we took before still have to be observed until a majority of the public get their vaccines.

At least, thats what the responsible authorities are telling us.... Or am I wrong ?

Well, the official party line is that we don't know for sure that those vaccinated can't be "silent carriers," but do you know of any disease spread by the respiratory tract, for which vaccination doesn't protect both the vaccinated and those in contact with the vaccinated? If so, please name the disease. Once someone is immunized against measles or mumps, for example, he can't get the illness nor transmit it. That's also how we got rid of smallpox. From a practical standpoint, I have to keep wearing the mask, but that's mainly because there's no practical way of identifying those fully immunized versus those who aren't.

Edited by Unicorn

Well, the official party line is that we don't know for sure that those vaccinated can't be "silent carriers," but do you know of any disease spread by the respiratory tract, for which vaccination doesn't protect both the vaccinated and those in contact with the vaccinated? If so, please name the disease.

I wasnt looking for a debate, just being guided by what Fauci is saying..... If you THINK you know better, Have at it..... Its sad that people feel they cant live WITHOUT sex for a minute. YOU should know better !

I understand Unicorn's exuberance about receiving the vaccine (I get my first injection in a week and already feel some exhilaration). However, I also read in the NY Times that researchers still think it is possible for a vaccinated person to be a spreader. For a fuller explanation, you can read the article at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

Got my 2nd shot today. Unicorn's ready to come out with a bang this week-end!

Covid-19-Card-clipped.jpg

I’m curious...I’d always heard that the spacing on the second shot is 60 days...when did it get shortened?

I’m curious...I’d always heard that the spacing on the second shot is 60 days...when did it get shortened?

3 weeks for Pfizer, 4 weeks for Moderna. None of them is 60 days. Where did you hear that?

3 weeks for Pfizer, 4 weeks for Moderna. None of them is 60 days. Where did you hear that?

I don’t recall where I’d heard it. It always seemed to be in the general commentary. But the shorter time frame is good news indeed! I also didn’t know that brands could be “mixed”

I don’t recall where I’d heard it. It always seemed to be in the general commentary. But the shorter time frame is good news indeed! I also didn’t know that brands could be “mixed”

Brands can’t be mixed. You have to take the same shot/brand after the initial one.

I also didn’t know that brands could be “mixed”

Brands can’t be mixed. You have to take the same shot/brand after the initial one.

BioNTech/Pfizer is the full attribution of the two companies involved, Pfizer is a short form of the name, so Unicorn's two jabs were the same vaccine (if that was the source of any confusion).

Here in NYC, it is almost impossible to FIND the vaccine, although the reach supposedly has been extended.... They have a website for vaccine centers, but if you call, you cant reach them, and the many websites arent fuctioning properly...the ones thar are ask you to make an appt, but there is already a long wait list..... And if you have an affiliated doctor, his center has sent out email that they will contact You when the vaccine is available.

Its a cluster fuck !

In the end, ALL the doctors (except Unicorn) are saying to CONTINUE with precautions: mask, distance and washing.... So I listen to Fauci, Birx, Sanjay Gupta, and Leana Wen and follow protocol until otherwise noted....

Edited by jjkrkwood

In the end, ALL the doctors (except Unicorn) are saying to CONTINUE with precautions: mask, distance and washing.... So I listen to Fauci, Birx, Sanjay Gupta, and Leana Wen and follow protocol until otherwise noted....

I clearly said in a prior posting that I was going to continue wearing a mask. That being said, I have made reference in prior strings about studies which have shown that once a person has antibodies, they can't transmit. This is the case even if they have viral particles in their respiratory tract. Also, the idea behind herd immunity comes with every vaccination drive, including this one. If the vaccine doesn't not just prevent contagion, but also transmission, we're all fucked. Fortunately, we know that's extremely unlikely to be the case. I suspect the main reason that they're telling even those immunized to continue to wear a mask, is that there is no practical way to identify who's been immunized when you're walking around. The last thing we want is for unimmunized people to be walking around without masks, falsely claiming to have been immunized (or recovered from illness).

So from a practical sense, we're going to have to continue masking and distancing until everyone has had a chance to receive the vaccine. However, science tells us that a person's antibodies don't just protect the vaccinee, but others as well. I will be telling people visiting my house that I have been immunized, and they do not need to wear a mask if they come alone (unless required by company policy, etc.). However, if the person is uncomfortable or requires it for work, we can continue masking.

DC appears to be ahead of the curve. Starting this week, anyone 65 or older can get the vaccination. I was fortunate to get an appointment for my 1st vaccination this Saturday, and the venue automatically schedules the 2nd dose to be administered four weeks later. Light at the end of the tunnel.

I understand Unicorn's exuberance about receiving the vaccine (I get my first injection in a week and already feel some exhilaration). However, I also read in the NY Times that researchers still think it is possible for a vaccinated person to be a spreader. For a fuller explanation, you can read the article at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

"possible" does not mean "probable". It often doesn't even mean remotely likely.

Results from last Friday (before my 2nd shot; results prior to the 1st shot were negative):

SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgG

SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgG

Positive

Reference Range: Negative

Well, the only man I really fell for immediately was Lindoro. But he does not seem to be a realistic prospect. I was just trying things out with Quinn, and he ended up being difficult. I have seen Diego for several weeks. I wouldn't say we're in love, but we have slept together many times, and have very good chemistry. I really enjoy his company and feel comfortable around him, and he seems comfortable with me. We'll see.