RICHES BEYOND MY WILDEST DREAMS!

samhexum
This topic is 1159 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I go down to get the mail and find one of those things where you have to fold and perforate the sides to open it… from the NY State Dept of Taxation. OH FUCK! What now?

I open it, and it’s an interest check for $3.96 because I filed my taxes ahead of the covid-extended deadline. Don’t understand, but I’ll take it.

Then I went grocery shopping at 4AM (as most people do) and got 2 cans of Lysol, the first I’ve seen since the pandemic began. Of course my cashier (who was otherwise terrific) had her mask under her nose, but as long as I don’t get sick in the next week, WOO HOO!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I go down to get the mail and find one of those things where you have to fold and perforate the sides to open it… from the NY State Dept of Taxation. OH FUCK! What now?

I open it, and it’s an interest check for $3.96 because I filed my taxes ahead of the covid-extended deadline. Don’t understand, but I’ll take it.

Then I went grocery shopping at 4AM (as most people do) and got 2 cans of Lysol, the first I’ve seen since the pandemic began. Of course my cashier (who was otherwise terrific) had her mask under her nose, but as long as I don’t get sick in the next week, WOO HOO!

I think you’ll be fine!

Congratulations on your windfall, and your good fortune in acquisitions.

Isn't it a sad commentary on the times we're in that such excitement can be gotten from finding cans of disinfectant? I still haven't been able to find Lysol spray in my area, but doing so would make my day!

This puts me in mind of a time some years back when I was walking through a grocery store and excitedly said to myself, "OMG! They now have Metamucil cookies in Apple Spice flavor, in addition to the Cinnamon!" Becoming so excited about such a thing as that made me know then and there that my life priorities had changed forever.

Now I look forward to a time when I can once again use toilet paper with a sense of carefree abandon.

Ah, how I yearn for those days of youth! Or was that just last year? God, how I hate this fucking 2020!

Isn't it a sad commentary on the times we're in that such excitement can be gotten from finding cans of disinfectant? I still haven't been able to find Lysol spray in my area, but doing so would make my day!

This puts me in mind of a time some years back when I was walking through a grocery store and excitedly said to myself, "OMG! They now have Metamucil cookies in Apple Spice flavor, in addition to the Cinnamon!" Becoming so excited about such a thing as that made me know then and there that my life priorities had changed forever.

Now I look forward to a time when I can once again use toilet paper with a sense of carefree abandon.

Ah, how I yearn for those days of youth! Or was that just last year? God, how I hate this fucking 2020!

My greatest RECENT excitement was when my order of Goli arrived......?

I can relate to the Lysol quest. I got taken for about $45.00 by an online scam outfit named "Best Sale" offering Lysol products thinking I was getting a bargain. I've recently ordered again from Amazon, fingers crossed. :mad:

We got a check in the mail the other day from our insurance company, for a refund on our homeowners insurance premium: $1.24. Is that enough to buy a roll of toilet paper?

Just to one-up you, a couple of weeeks ago I got a refund check for $50 on my house insurance from Allstate, which also insures my cars. On those they have been issuing me rebates since mid-summer each couple of months, since we are all driving less. And I didn’t even ask them for these rebates.

Of course the cynical part of me noted that the house insurance rebate was mailed out just a couple of weeks before my policy was set for renewal.

A number of insurance companies are set up as mutuals, meaning technically the policyowners own the company and are entitled to a share of the profits in proportion to their premium paid. So if they have a good year, you can get a rebate. It's becoming less common, but it still happens at some companies. It's not them being generous; they have to give that money back to you. Others are doing it proactively to build goodwill with the state insurance departments when they fight to enforce the standard communicable disease exclusion when the COVID suits start rolling in.

Edited by sniper

• 1 month later...

I have distressing, but not unexpected, news. When I opened the check, the top flap stuck to the bottom of the check a bit, and part of the routing numbers across the bottom were torn off. I finally went to deposit it tonight, and the ATM wouldn't take it. I assume even if I feel brave and go into a branch, they won't be able to take it, either.

Now I'll have to wait several years for the Dept of Finance to turn it over to the Dept of Unclaimed funds, at which point I'll be able to claim it.

Damn! I was really counting on that money. Now I really hope Biden gets that $2000 stimulus check passed!

Edited by samhexum

Over the years, because of far flung business interests, I’ve wound up in many states’ unclaimed property data bases. One instance in Ohio involved some relatively small amount of ~$110. I had to fill out and send a notarized form for the claim. After weeks, I get a letter indicating that 2¢ in interest had accrued and that I needed to update and send a new notarized form. I called and said, “hey, it will cost 40¢ for the stamp to claim the extra 2¢ interest, can we just forget the 2¢ and send me the $110?”

The answer? “No”

Ooooooooookayyyyyyyyy

Maybe you can return the LYSOL ? And then, if you bank that $11.58, it may grow to $12.00 by end of year, and then you can buy 3 Entemanns

cakes. ? :p

Actually just finished a visit. Lovely! TMI?

Not at all, inquiring minds want to know.... I am still shopping around cause I dont have electrical near the toilet, so I am looking at the ones not "heated"... Ill just have icy cold water shooting up..... :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I have distressing, but not unexpected, news. When I opened the check, the top flap stuck to the bottom of the check a bit, and part of the routing numbers across the bottom were torn off. I finally went to deposit it tonight, and the ATM wouldn't take it. I assume even if I feel brave and go into a branch, they won't be able to take it, either.

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats awaiting the resolution of this high drama. Alas, I had to get something notarized at a bank today and was told that there is no way to cash or deposit the check. o_O:(???

Edited by samhexum

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on your windfall

We got a check in the mail the other day from our insurance company, for a refund on our homeowners insurance premium: $1.24.

Now I'll have to wait several years for the Dept of Finance to turn it over to the Dept of Unclaimed funds, at which point I'll be able to claim it.

Damn! I was really counting on that money. Now I really hope Biden gets that $1400 stimulus check passed!

Over the years, because of far flung business interests, I’ve wound up in many states’ unclaimed property data bases. One instance in Ohio... I had to fill out and send a notarized form for the claim. After weeks, I get a letter indicating that 2¢ in interest had accrued and that I needed to update and send a new notarized form. I called and said, “hey, it will cost 40¢ for the stamp to claim the extra 2¢ interest, can we just forget the 2¢ and send me the $110?”

The answer? “No”

Ooooooooookayyyyyyyyy

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats awaiting the resolution of this high drama. Alas, I had to get something notarized at a bank today and was told that there is no way to cash or deposit the check. o_O:(???

Frame it, and hang it on your wall....

BIG NEWS!!! I called the NY State Dept of Taxation & Finance and after bouncing around the automated system for a bit, I finally got a woman on the line who listened to my tale of woe and began to try to help. She kept repeating "bear with me" as it took her over 5 minutes to try to alleviate my $3.96 problem... then we got disconnected. She had taken my phone number, but of course never called back. I called again, bounced around the system again, and eventually wound up with a man who took care of things in 3 minutes. I'll be sent a form to sign & return in a prepaid envelope (I actually asked about that) and 7-10 days after they receive it back from me, a new check will be issued for the full $3.96.

Now I just need to figure out which studly young man to splurge on with it.

Edited by samhexum

BIG NEWS!!! I called the NY State Dept of Taxation & Finance and after bouncing around the automated system for a bit, I finally got a woman on the line who listened to my tale of woe and began to try to help. She kept repeating "bear with me" as it took her over 5 minutes to try to alleviate my $3.96 problem... then we got disconnected. She had taken my phone number, but of course never called back. I called again, bounced around the system again, and eventually wound up with a man who took care of things in 3 minutes. I'll be sent a form to sign & return in a prepaid envelope (I actually asked about that) and 7-10 days after they receive it back from me, a new check will be issued for the full $3.96.

Now I just need to figure out which studly young man to splurge on with it.

Honestly my time is worth more than that $3.96....and I wouldnt have bothered.... Congrats on your tenacity and persistence..... Now, any guy that works for $3.96 I would steer clear of. ?