How expected is it to "tip" masseurs?

imma
This topic is 795 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My next door neighbor was a masseur, so I went there for a massage. He had a special room and table. The massage was good, not great. No hanky panky seemed in mind on either part. When finished, he left the room, and that's when I saw a big sign on the back of the door about how TIPS are appreciated. I didn't tip him, he's my neighbor!, but he did try some hanky panky while I was dressing...too late!

• 4 months later...

When I lived in Philadelphia, I regularly saw a guy who charged $285 for a 90 minute massage with “release.” I think he charged that because he expected guys to round it up to $300. Because he was good looking and actually very good at the massage, genuinely good at the massage, I was happy to tip $15.

Who was this in Philly?

I was shocked at how little the masseurs make when they are working as part of a spa. The place I use to go to in the Castro charged customers $130 for 50 minutes and I found out afterwards that the masseurs only make like $20-$25 an hour. Considering it is physically demanding work for a CMT, that's lousy wages to make a living on in San Francisco. I agree with the advice given above it not being as necessary to tip if the CMT is working for themselves as they can set their own hourly rates.

I don’t expect a tip. If my clients think I did a great job or went beyond their expectations my definite preference is that they book again and become regular clients or they give me a good endorsement on my website or other places where clients can give their opinion of the service. Any decent masseur will much rather those things than a tip.

• 1 year later...

I try to tip now.

In Los Angeles, so this may be LA-centric or within the Lower 48 haha.

I remember when I started/discovered RentMasseur last year… I said, “boy do they charge more than the legit spas” (due to other services that may or may not happen) and just paid the rate they gave me - which was in the $150-$180 range (60/90min).  It was when I started reading the forum and talked with other forum members did I put two and two together that I still needed to tip.  I just bring extra cash (if $120 then total $150, if $160 then $180 or $190 and so forth).  

In my defense, haha, i thought $150 for an hour, flat fee, done. Just like a regular check-up at the doctor’s office. The masseurs get 100% of the fee, I said. But, yeah, service-oriented, USA-tradition… I tip now.  Though if they upsell at the end, if I take you up on that offer, that’s the tip.  

With that said, i’ve been to a masseur thrice already over the past few months and tried to tip him more on the 3rd trip … to compensate for the first two with no tip. He didn’t accept it - it was too much he said and I didn’t need to. Guess it was enough that he has a regular client in me.  A saint. 

27 minutes ago, Terpmaniac said:

Wait he turned down a tip? How often does that happen? 

That's happened to me many times, including from a massuer.

They'd rather have the steady repeat business from a good customer then the one time infusion of extra cash.  Someone refusing a tip gets brownie points from me.

For most self employed providers, I don't tip because they set their own rate and that's factored into why I hire them.  But I'll tip if they go over time, or accommodate my arriving late due to traffic, etc.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

it think that makes the most sense. If it's a guy working in a spa then for sure a tip is expected. But for a self-employed guy I don't think it's necessary. The last couple of (self-employed) guys I've seen charged $180 for 90 mins so I did just round up.

I have a trip to NYC planned for the end of next month so I am thinking I might visit a spa while I am up there.

This topic (“tipping”) shows up every few years. It usually ends in back and forth disagreements between members that have strong feelings but generally end up being unhelpful.

My takeaway has always been to do what works for you and help you achieve your objectives.

I value my regulars - I choose to tip them because they meet or exceed my expectations. You do you. 🤷‍♂️

58 minutes ago, fedssocr1 said:

it think that makes the most sense. If it's a guy working in a spa then for sure a tip is expected. But for a self-employed guy I don't think it's necessary. The last couple of (self-employed) guys I've seen charged $180 for 90 mins so I did just round up.

I have a trip to NYC planned for the end of next month so I am thinking I might visit a spa while I am up there.

Yea, there's been other threads about this.  Since the spas take a large portion of the fee, it makes sense to tip a big % to those masseurs, but independent ones get 100% of the fee...no need to tip 100% or whatever.

If I hire a masseur for a massage at their home, they are getting 100% of the fee. Unlike a spa ( or similarly how you are expected to tip for service in a restaurant.) So I see no obligation to tip unless I want to thank them for service that exceeded expectation.

Of course the massage business can often include extra services after the massage ...so naturally tipping is then mandatory and should be as generous as the provider was generous with his special skills

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

A rule of thumb, you don't tip the owner of the business.  They own the business, set the rate, and keep all the money.  I feel a massage therapist sets the rate they think is fair.  If they have a much lower rates than other therapist I have seen then I will tip them.  If they go above and beyond I will tip them.  The ones that are at the top of the price range I don't tip. Of course, I always tip if they work in a spa.

7 minutes ago, dfwmassagelover said:

A rule of thumb, you don't tip the owner of the business.  They own the business, set the rate, and keep all the money.  I feel a massage therapist sets the rate they think is fair.  If they have a much lower rates than other therapist I have seen then I will tip them.  If they go above and beyond I will tip them.  The ones that are at the top of the price range I don't tip. Of course, I always tip if they work in a spa.

You used "rule of thumb" on St Patrick's day? How can I resist posting this from back in the day... (warning it is politically incorrect and includes both violence and salty language!)

https://youtu.be/4E1weruUCeg

18 hours ago, Terpmaniac said:

Wait he turned down a tip? How often does that happen? 

I had someone who charged me less because he knew I drove a distance to see him. But we also were "friends" so he probably treated me different.

17 hours ago, JQ915 said:

I think I’m the only sucker here. I tip 60-100%… I think I got used to it in the Philippines where guys double the fee for extra services 

Im similar, I tip 60 -100% as well. I find if I have a great session I'll be very generous. The benefit of that is the next massage is that much better. 

52 minutes ago, Client1985 said:

Im similar, I tip 60 -100% as well. I find if I have a great session I'll be very generous. The benefit of that is the next massage is that much better. 

Are we talking about that large of a tip for private providers or spa masseurs? I tend to double the rate for spa masseurs because they definitely don’t see much of the initial fee. I feel private providers set their rates according to their service and only tip them if they make special accommodations for my schedule, travel a larger distance than normal, or provide an experience beyond what their ad states. It’s worked out so far.

Edited by Lohengrin1979

It is a combination of service vs where you are receiving your services. For example, if I’m booking an independent masseur for in or outcall I already know they’re earning 100% so whatever I tip is more of appreciation, if for instance a session is 160 I leave 200 if enjoyed but can easily leave 250 total if I loved it. However, if I’m receiving a massage on a spa I know the masseur will only get a small commission out of the total cost of the service. In such case I tip on a higher scale, and anything beyond a standard massage (i.e. MT, naked session, ect) they are expecting above a $100 dollars tip and as a high as your level of satisfaction and wallet allows. 

Totally not customary in my opinion.

But if I like the service, +$20. Whether I got a release or not, I give tip as long as it was a good experience.

If it’s a masseur who rushes his massages, or if I receive more of a random-touch massage and if I feel like the masseur is not even giving any effort to make sure I am actually relaxed, then I give no tip. 

I can tell about 15 min into the work if he’s going to be on my repeat list. I’m a larger, older guy, and if I am thinking his skills are good enough to hire again, I want him to want to have me as a client again. A generous tip can help keep a pleasant association when my number pops up on his phone.