COVID 2nd Wave is Here, Wear a Mask!

orville
This topic is 1041 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Blaming the young has been going on since the time of Socrates. Bill Maher loves blaming millenials for their behaviors.

While it is easy to fall into that trap, I try to tune it out.

Yes, that's not new. This time it's just backed up with reliable public health data.

To be fair, Bill Maher does look at the other side of the coin as well. Even if he throws in a little satire. :)

To be fair, Bill Maher does look at the other side of the coin as well. Even if he throws in a little satire. :)

What Bill Maher said makes sense: Millennials are the workforce and consumers' market that will keep the economy going.

The problem is not so much that they are not wearing a mask in public places. Today on my way to my COVID test I paid attention and most don't.

The problem is that they are not wearing a mask and on top of that they attend massive gatherings / overnight parties, unprotected.

And they even dare to challenge the authorities (arguing with the cops in the video) just because they feel the urgent need of having fun.

Edited by orville

We went to Pinch A Penny..a swimming pool equipment store..none of the employees wore masks..all customers including us wore masks..When I asked the 20 something said.." no one here is sick"..i won't argue with stupid..but will shop elsewhere.

Probably his supervisor/manager thinks alike.

Here there are strict measures in EVERY commercial space,

from the biggest supermarket to the smallest convenience store.

This is a very misleading graph, visually speaking. The number of cases per million, depicted on the left side of the graph, are not scaled proportionately whereas the number of days counted along the bottom are. Therefore, on the right side, which is the most recent data, Canada appears to be about two thirds as high as the USA but is only about one fifth In reality (less than 30 per million versus much more than 100 per million for the States. Look at day 140, where Canada has fewer than 15 cases and the USA 200. It looks like Canada has about half the US number just looking at the chart.

This is a very misleading graph, visually speaking. The number of cases per million, depicted on the left side of the graph, are not scaled proportionately whereas the number of days counted along the bottom are. Therefore, on the right side, which is the most recent data, Canada appears to be about two thirds as high as the USA but is only about one fifth In reality (less than 30 per million versus much more than 100 per million for the States. Look at day 140, where Canada has fewer than 15 cases and the USA 200. It looks like Canada has about half the US number just looking at the chart.

Logarithmic scales on y-axes are pretty standard over the course of the epidemic. They make it possible to illustrate the variation over days in jurisdictions where numbers are low. With a numerically scaled y-axis you run the risk (note I am saying risk, not certainty in this case) of a meaningful graph of the higher figures and a flat line across the base of the graph for the lower figures. I agree that at a glance this gives a misleading initial impression, but a closer look makes it clear.

I get the point that both countries are heading in the direction of a second wave, which the graph shows, but Canada is starting from a much lower figure of new cases each day per million of population. Given that most cases in both countries are community driven now rather than by travellers, which was the case in the first month before the border was closed, bending the curve once again should be easier in Canada than the States but that will depend on peoples’ actions going forward.

Thank you for the comment dear @Luv2play as @mike carey observed, it's because of the logarithmic scale. If observed in a linear scale, Canada goes almost flat (compared to the US higher numbers) so it's even more 'misleading'.

width=965pxhttps://i.postimg.cc/L818qmMK/Screen-Shot-2020-09-24-at-11-22-15-AM.png[/img]

Thank you for the comment dear @Luv2play as @mike carey observed, it's because of the logarithmic scale. If observed in a linear scale, Canada goes almost flat (compared to the US higher numbers) so it's even more 'misleading'.

width=965pxhttps://i.postimg.cc/L818qmMK/Screen-Shot-2020-09-24-at-11-22-15-AM.png[/img]

Thanks for this elucidation of my comment. I wasn't aware that this FT graph was available to illustrate what I was trying to say. Although it does represent total cases not those per million or per 100k. Regardless of that, it illustrates how a linear scale can downplay numbers in some contexts.

Thanks for this elucidation of my comment. I wasn't aware that this FT graph was available to illustrate what I was trying to say. Although it does represent total cases not those per million or per 100k. Regardless of that, it illustrates how a linear scale can downplay numbers in some contexts.

The second graph does illustrate the significant difference between Canada and the USA experience in numbers of new cases but as Mike points out it is not the cases per million, which can offer a fairer comparison where the two countries are not of similar sized populations. I was hoping we could see the cases per million on a linear scale rather than a logarithmic scale. To me that would show a more realistic portrayal of how many people are being affected on a proportional basis in each country. In practical terms, if I know 5 people out of 100 are sick in my community, and in another it is 15 people per 100, that shows me the prevalence of the disease and I would act accordingly to take measures to protect myself.

I was hoping we could see the cases per million on a linear scale rather than a logarithmic scale.

... if I know 5 people out of 100 are sick in my community, and in another it is 15 people per 100 ...

Here is the chart showing the number of cases per million, in a linear scale.

Luckily it seems, when one chooses death numbers, that we no longer see many people dying.

You can certainly be more relaxed if you live in a more isolated community. The feeling is different here in Toronto.

It's not comforting when Trudeau himself says during the fall it could be much worse than the spring.

width=915pxhttps://i.postimg.cc/6QLkmpZX/Screen-Shot-2020-09-24-at-1-00-47-PM.png[/img]

Here is the chart showing the number of cases per million, in a linear scale.

Luckily it seems, when one chooses death numbers, that we no longer see many people dying.

You can certainly be more relaxed if you live in a more isolated community. The feeling is different here in Toronto.

It's not comforting when Trudeau himself says during the fall it could be much worse than the spring.

width=915pxhttps://i.postimg.cc/6QLkmpZX/Screen-Shot-2020-09-24-at-1-00-47-PM.png[/img]

Thank you. That is the chart that speaks to me the best in terms of my understanding the situation in the two countries that share the northern part of NorthAmerica and that have similar populations in term of education, wealth and access to good medical care overall although the last factor is more debatable. One can see clearly how we both started off with a rapidly rising rate of infections and then a flattening of the curve and then a bending downward as the effects of the shutdowns took place over April, May and June. It was around June and early July we started to hear of many US states start to reopen their economies (many said too quickly) and then the rates of the two countries started to diverge dramatically. I believe if you look at the North Eastern United States, who suffered the most in the early stages of the pandemic, their experience post July has been similar of ours in Canada. Canada took much longer overall in reopening our economy and this has been accelerated with the partial reopening of schools across the country In the last three weeks. We are now seeing here in Canada an uptick in infection rates but still no reason to press the panic button yet. Reading about what’s going on in other countries less mentioned here, I heard today that Israel is going into total lockdown tonight as a result of a huge spike in new cases. It seems the only public places that will remain open are the temples. LOL

OK, full disclosure - born in 64, spent quality time with Grandparents so I consider myself a Roosevelt Democrat.

If you want a very good explaination of how mask use works, go to this site and scroll down and watch the video (I know, not the typical video for this site, but very well done and is based on math and science)

https://aatishb.com/maskmath

I’m not denying that young people aren’t wearing masks correctly. But this “data” that we hear about – how is it collected and by whom? Again, not questioning its veracity. I’m asking where it’s coming from. One of the reasons I ask is because, to my knowledge, we have scant-to-no-reliable data on how well anyone is doing wearing a mask, except the observations of people. Anecdotally, from my experience, it’s the younger folks who are wearing the mask and wearing it properly. The older generations either refuse to wear it outright or might as well go without because their nose is hanging out.

As of Sep 28, 2020.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-28-at-2-12-07-PM.png

Cuomo asked Paul Rudd to make a "funny" video targeted to Millennials as they happen to be the spreaders.

I'm stopping all hiring and getting back to lockdown myself as things are getting again out of control.

When were they ever under control?

But this “data” that we hear about – how is it collected and by whom?

Source: Financial Times analysis of data from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the Covid Tracking Project,

the UK Dept of Health & Social Care and the Spanish Ministry of Health.

Data updated September 28 2020 1.01pm BST. Interactive version: www.ft.com/covid19