Ex-'Ellen DeGeneres Show' employees claim culture of 'rampant sexual misconduct' in new report

marylander1940
This topic is 1111 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ellen DeGeneres is telling show executives she's had enough and is ready to call it quits as staffers slam her apology and claim she's the problem and has 'enabled the toxic culture at the show to go on for so long'

OP note: This has been going on for a long time, I searched DeGeneres in the forum an other things came up. I'll be disappointed if it's true...

Ellen DeGeneres is telling show executives she's had enough and is ready to call it quits as staffers slam her apology and claim she's the problem and has 'enabled the toxic culture at the show to go on for so long'

OP note: This has been going on for a long time, I searched DeGeneres in the forum an other things came up. I'll be disappointed if it's true...

A toxic culture in tinseltown?

Might take awhile to find anything better. It is what it is.

I never understood all the fuss over Ellen. I never did really care for her sitcom and can't stand her talk show.

I'll give her the coming out episode; she was the first but let's be honest if it wasn't her, it would have been someone else. If you beat someone else to the punch you make history....very calculated and timed just right.

The talk show is all a front, from that atrocious dancing to the god awful jokes, but people drank the Kool-Aid and she became popular. To me she was trying way to hard to be liked when she first had the talk show, then when the money and awards came in she got too comfortable and let the real her start to show.

I imagine after you reach the top the only way is down, there is nothing really left for her to do. She can only dance that stupid dance, say that God awful joke, feign interest in someone she can't stand so many times. The cracks have already ruined the facade.

• 2 weeks later...

Chat Show hosts are characters played by the actor who shares the same name.

They do it because they are good at it on camera, and because it pays extremely well. Not because they are highly moral, generous, and considerate. They might be, but with similar limits to their social gifts and obligations as we have.

Artistic Temprament, it’s called.

Johnny Carson had his favorite guests, but in person he was rarely the smiley sorta goofy Midwest boy making it in the big City, and was often grumpy, short tempered and potty-mouthed with staff.

Letterman was known to have a few anger issues as well.

Oprah, who seems to be intensely engaged with her guests, retreats to seclusion at every break, and has been known for being dismissive of guests that she doesn’t know.

Fallon is not nearly the carefree upbeat funny man he plays during his show. How could he, or anyone, maintain that?

Beware confusing the public personna with the human being who plays him/her. They are the same only in our minds. (Lucy Ricardo is not Lucille Ball. Both go by Lucy, however...)

But, as the face of The Program they are always going to have to answer for trouble and gossip about backstage life and their staff, in order to protect the Brand.

The sort of insensitive or mean behaviors in these work environments are not new nor exclusive to show biz. But somehow we react with shock as though it were a relative or close friend,

“oh no, Not Ellen!! I know her! She’s too nice!!”

Well, you don’t and she isn’t. She’s a fiercely driven business woman who is also a real estate shark. With great comic timing.

I can’t see how this revelation affects anyone who’s not currently in the show’s employ.

Just like the Tonight Show, The Late Show, and Oprah, “The Ellen Degeneris Show” is a performance. Period. Try not to elevate the artists above the work they share with you.

A friend's partner worked for Oprah. She described Oprah as having very high expectations, being very polite and professional when speaking to her staff (always saying please and thank you resonated with my friend's partner), and very generous.

Ellen could be the sweetest, nicest, most caring person in the world. I still wouldn't see the appeal.

I liked Ellen's series that featured the coming out story line, and not just because of that story arch. I also think she used to do a good job at having a chat show, but I think she's lost her way there -- especially after she had to start filming from home.

I think it's important to realize that a lot of the complaints that have surfaced about Ellen's talk show are about other staff who work there. Ellen isn't in control of everything there or present for every interaction between other people working on the show, even though the show bears her name. Her job is playing a version of herself on camera, not the daily running of the show. I assume the director of the agency at which I work has no idea of most of the daily goings on, either, unless something so out of the ordinary happens that it is discussed at all levels of management.

Is it actually a requirement for someone to be nice 24/7 even if that's the image they portray on TV?

I liked Ellen's series that featured the coming out story line, and not just because of that story arch. I also think she used to do a good job at having a chat show, but I think she's lost her way there -- especially after she had to start filming from home.

I think it's important to realize that a lot of the complaints that have surfaced about Ellen's talk show are about other staff who work there. Ellen isn't in control of everything there or present for every interaction between other people working on the show, even though the show bears her name. Her job is playing a version of herself on camera, not the daily running of the show. I assume the director of the agency at which I work has no idea of most of the daily goings on, either, unless something so out of the ordinary happens that it is discussed at all levels of management.

Is it actually a requirement for someone to be nice 24/7 even if that's the image they portray on TV?

sorry but on the Warner Bros lot, she is known as being nasty and rude to everyone, not just those associated with her show.

Edited by craigville beach

• 8 months later...

Ellen's show will end after next season. It's clearly due to this whole scandal. Her ratings have been brutal this year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/tv/ellen-degeneres-end-daytime-talk-show-after-19th-season-n1267084

it has been reported that she isn't well liked on the Warner Bros lot. Reportedly she is mean and rude to just about everyone.

I'm not sure that the show's ending has anything to do with the claims of how horrible of a person Ellen is when the cameras are off. I'm guessing it's all because the show has lost so many viewers, and for whatever reason the show's producers haven't figured out how to have an entertaining show since the pandemic began. Her series of shows shot from her home were pretty awful. I ended up fast forwarding through most of them. I think people were willing to give her some slack, though, since no one was going to have a talk show with in person guests and a live audience when the pandemic began. But there's really no excuse for how they have produced the show this season. Some guests show up in person, but a lot are still only there via computer. The number of guests has been reduced, with entire episodes being devoted to people without much to say so it ends up feeling like the audience is just eavesdropping on a mundane conversation between Ellen and someone she knows. Way too much time is spent playing clips from pre-pandemic shows. Sitcoms maybe do this once per season, if that, but for a daily talk show to expect its viewers to want to watch repeats almost daily is puzzling. The icing on the cake was Ellen deciding she didn't want to film five episodes per week, with rotating guest hosts appearing on Friday -- many of whom had no experience carrying a show (and it showed). All in all, this season has been a drag to watch which is why I fast forward lots of segments and simply delete without watching other episodes. I basically only watch still for the monologue and if there is a guest I like.

Somehow Graham Norton figured out how to return to work and still make an entertaining show. Even when he was doing everything via Zoom, his interviews still had the same wit. Now that he's back in the studio with four socially distanced guests, the dynamic is pretty much the same as pre-pandemic if you ignore the lack of an in person audience.