Help me choose my new car

keroscenefire
This topic is 1364 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new car after my last one was totaled in a hit and run accident. It was a 2008 Jetta so I am looking for something similar but maybe not a Jetta as it had kind of high maintenance costs in my opinion. With my insurance settlement, I'll be able to do a solid down payment but will still likely have to do used, but hopefully 2014 or newer. My budget is about $10-$15K, but preferably closer to to lower end.

I'm thinking of maybe a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. Possibly a newer Jetta if I can find one. Also considering a small crossover like a VW Tourag, Subaru Crosstrek or a Mazda CX5. It might be easier to be able to go to the mountains with a car like that.

Anyone have a car that I mentioned and have some pros or cons? Have a car I didn't mention and love it? Or one that I absolutely should not get?

Any help would be appreciated. I had the Jetta for 5 years so it's been a bit since I had to car shop. And you all are surprisingly knowledgable about a wide variety of subjects so thought maybe you'd know cars a bit too.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest piece of advice would be to check Consumer Reports. They have detailed info on both current and past years' models and their reliability (and handling and other specifics). Japanese and Korean cars tend to have the best long-term reliability, especially Toyotas. In addition to the car itself, ask about the service department for the model you're thinking of buying in the city you live. I made the mistake of buying a Subaru once. The only dealer in town had a service department which was only open from 8 to 5 on week-days, not at all on Saturdays and Sundays. The Toyota dealer was open from 5 AM to midnight M-F, plus hours on both Saturday and Sunday. Look at the reviews for the dealers in your area. I recently had to donate my 2011 Ford Escape to charity. I had just taken it for 135,000 mile service, when 300 miles later the engine light went on, and, when I had it towed to the dealer that did the repairs, was told a rod had gone through the engine.

I'm waiting until I move to LA to buy my next car, probably a Toyota or Lexus, maybe the new Genesis SUV when it comes out. For now, I'm doing great driving the 2007 Toyota Camry I bought for my lying Paraguayan to use. It's got 167,000 miles and runs great. It's a real pleasure to drive, and a pleasure to deal with the service department.

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new car after my last one was totaled in a hit and run accident. It was a 2008 Jetta so I am looking for something similar but maybe not a Jetta as it had kind of high maintenance costs in my opinion. With my insurance settlement, I'll be able to do a solid down payment but will still likely have to do used, but hopefully 2014 or newer. My budget is about $10-$15K, but preferably closer to to lower end.

I'm thinking of maybe a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. Possibly a newer Jetta if I can find one. Also considering a small crossover like a VW Tourag, Subaru Crosstrek or a Mazda CX5. It might be easier to be able to go to the mountains with a car like that.

Anyone have a car that I mentioned and have some pros or cons? Have a car I didn't mention and love it? Or one that I absolutely should not get?

Any help would be appreciated. I had the Jetta for 5 years so it's been a bit since I had to car shop. And you all are surprisingly knowledgable about a wide variety of subjects so thought maybe you'd know cars a bit too.

I'm a big Toyota fan, although I've read that not all models have the brand's vaunted reliability (the C-HR ain't so hot, for example). But if you go with a Corolla, a stalwart of the brand and a model within your price range, you should be OK. Besides reliability, another big advantage of Toyota is maintenance costs do tend to be lower compared to most other car companies.

My biggest piece of advice would be to check Consumer Reports. They have detailed info on both current and past years' models and their reliability (and handling and other specifics). Japanese and Korean cars tend to have the best long-term reliability, especially Toyotas. In addition to the car itself, ask about the service department for the model you're thinking of buying in the city you live. I made the mistake of buying a Subaru once. The only dealer in town had a service department which was only open from 8 to 5 on week-days, not at all on Saturdays and Sundays. The Toyota dealer was open from 5 AM to midnight M-F, plus hours on both Saturday and Sunday. Look at the reviews for the dealers in your area. I recently had to donate my 2011 Ford Escape to charity. I had just taken it for 135,000 mile service, when 300 miles later the engine light went on, and, when I had it towed to the dealer that did the repairs, was told a rod had gone through the engine.

I'm waiting until I move to LA to buy my next car, probably a Toyota or Lexus, maybe the new Genesis SUV when it comes out. For now, I'm doing great driving the 2007 Toyota Camry I bought for my lying Paraguayan to use. It's got 167,000 miles and runs great. It's a real pleasure to drive, and a pleasure to deal with the service department.

Thanks for that...I never thought about the service departments. It definitely makes sense to see where those are and their hours in case something goes wrong. I've been fortunate that I actually have a VW dealer close to where I live. But I don't know where the other ones are.

I can attest to Toyota quality. I currently drive a 96 4Runner and while I've had to spend some money on major repairs it does have 170,000+ miles on it and has been through hell and back. Best 10k I spent, used in 2006. Three friends have bought CX-5s and love them and my roommate/ex just bought a Subaru Crosstek after trading in the 2008 Jetta Wolfburgh I bought him. The Jetta was actually pretty fun to drive and overall held up pretty well considering he's not a car guy. But he decided to put it to pasture when they quoted him 7k in repairs! As for my next car I'm leaning towards a Genesis G70 or G80. Kia and Hyundai are actually building top rate cars right now.

I used to have a 2006 Jetta. It was one of the best cars I ever owned so my condolences for what happened to yours.

Sold it in 2017 to purchase a Honda CRV because I needed something for hauling stuff. The Jetta was a car that I enjoyed. The Honda feels more like an automotive appliance. It's nice and all that but I don't feel much of a connection with it. The Honda has been very reliable so far. I've put 40K miles on it without any problems.

I have a base model 2020 Kia Soul which I bought new in December for $19K, and I have never been more impressed with an inexpensive car. (Our other car is a 2015 Mercedes.) It is my regular daily driver, but unfortunately, the pandemic has curtailed my travel so much that I still haven't put on enough miles to need a service. My brother-in-law, a retired GM executive who still owns Cadillacs because he gets a big discount, says he always chooses a Kia when he has to rent, because they are comfortable, reliable and have excellent engines.

I have a base model 2020 Kia Soul which I bought new in December for $19K, and I have never been more impressed with an inexpensive car. (Our other car is a 2015 Mercedes.) It is my regular daily driver, but unfortunately, the pandemic has curtailed my travel so much that I still haven't put on enough miles to need a service. My brother-in-law, a retired GM executive who still owns Cadillacs because he gets a big discount, says he always chooses a Kia when he has to rent, because they are comfortable, reliable and have excellent engines.

I have many friends with Kia Souls, some on their second one, and they swear by them.

First off, glad that you made it through your accident o.k. That's terrible about the hit and run. Whatever vehicle you decide to get, I highly recommend using the highest grade gas available at the pump. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the chronic low grade gas users I know have their vehicles in shops for work far more often than I do.

Honda Civic's a better car. I have a friend who just got one and loves it! I'm familiar with the Corolla and wouldn't recommend it. For a little more you can get a nice Chevrolet Malibu though! ?

My Honda Civic gave me no problems. My current Mercedes is costing a fortune in maintenance costs and tire replacements especially in the northeast where potholes reign supreme... i had to replace my low-profile tires 10 times in one year.

I used to have a 2006 Jetta. It was one of the best cars I ever owned so my condolences for what happened to yours.

Sold it in 2017 to purchase a Honda CRV because I needed something for hauling stuff. The Jetta was a car that I enjoyed. The Honda feels more like an automotive appliance. It's nice and all that but I don't feel much of a connection with it. The Honda has been very reliable so far. I've put 40K miles on it without any problems.

Thanks...I did like my Jetta. I was absolutely a pleasure to drive and had a pretty stylish interior in my opinion.I am absolutely bummed about what happened to it. Someone hit it while parked right in front of my building.

But the Jetta was pretty expensive to maintain. Had to repair the brakes and it cost $1200, which according to one friend was more than twice the cost for her brake replacement on a Toyota.

First off, glad that you made it through your accident o.k. That's terrible about the hit and run. Whatever vehicle you decide to get, I highly recommend using the highest grade gas available at the pump. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the chronic low grade gas users I know have their vehicles in shops for work far more often than I do.

Thank you. Fortunately I wasn't driving when it happened. They hit it while it was parked in front of my building overnight. Damaged the entire driver side and hit the driver side wheel so hard that it wasn't drivable. And I usually go for mid-grade gas, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Honda has the most up to date technology and mechanical updates when compared to the Corollas, plus the styling on the Civic is more modern. I would seriously check out a two year old off lease Kia Optima or a Hyundai Sonata. For $500 you can buy the 10yr/ 100,000 mile factory warranty. These cars can be found with all the modern safety and technology, Apple car play, with a nice smooth ride, comfortable seats and quiet. I have a 2017 Kia Optima SLX and everyone who drives with me comments on how nice it is, for a Kia ; ).

Carguru and Truecar are good sites for research on prices, options, and posting TrueFacts -past history on the cars. Good luck.

Honda has the most up to date technology and mechanical updates when compared to the Corollas, plus the styling on the Civic is more modern. I would seriously check out a two year old off lease Kia Optima or a Hyundai Sonata. For $500 you can buy the 10yr/ 100,000 mile factory warranty. These cars can be found with all the modern safety and technology, Apple car play, with a nice smooth ride, comfortable seats and quiet. I have a 2017 Kia Optima SLX and everyone who drives with me comments on how nice it is, for a Kia ; ).

Carguru and Truecar are good sites for research on prices, options, and posting TrueFacts -past history on the cars. Good luck.

Thanks...I am actually leaning more towards Honda or Kia than Corolla. I'll check out Truecar. Thanks!

Consumer Reports is no longer the go to guy on reliability. Try CarComplaints.Com and MyRepairPal.Com The best used car in your price range is the 2010 or 2011 Toyota Camry. They were the best Camrys ever made. However 2012 to 2014 it was redesigned and suffered front end issues and lost its above average crash rating, one with 50k miles runs about 8k. Korean cars have improved greatly since there introduction, however certain models have annoying electrical problems. VW unreliable.

The service department is, indeed, key as @Unicorn said. My Dodge/Jeep dealer's service department in San Diego was excellent. Never an upsell, never felt like they were trying to get me to do maintenance that wasn't needed. Here in Phoenix, I am not impressed. Now that the car is no longer under warranty I get it serviced elsewhere.

I've rented the Chevy Equinox, Chevy Traxx, and the Buick Encore (their equivalent of the Traxx) and liked all of them. The impressive thing about the Traxx and Encore is they are small crossovers, but they felt very roomy and open. Not like a small car at all.

Has anyone purchased a used car from a rental car company (Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, etc)?

I've always been leery but Hertz has a big sale going on right now. Might be able to find some good deals but I would definitely have a mechanic take a look at it before buying to make sure there aren't any issues.

Guest NYCRich212

Toyota Caveat

Toyota’s can be exceptionally reliable if a snooze to drive. But, they are only reliable when you buy the simplest, decontented cars. That’s my experience and many of the repairmen, etc I’ve encountered while fixing my top of the line, fully optioned Toyota.

The Consumer Reports option is an excellent one. They would advise buying a 2-3 year old car that has all the mod safety tools and would have already depreciated from from the new car status. And will have some warranted left. Buy a monthly subscription. They will give you recommendations and even locate cars for you to consider. Also, they give great advice if buying a warranted makes sense.

Glad your VW kept you safe. I’ve owned several and they are nicely finished, fun cars to drive. But unless you have an excellent, non-dealer repairman, they are best avoided.