Confession-I'm Not That Fond Of Lettuce

Gar1eth
This topic is 1378 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

all the talk of salami makes me think of cold cuts wrapped in butcher paper. When I was kid, if we needed food for guests on the fly, my father would go to the corner deli and come back with sliced ham, baloney and olive loaf and it was always wrapped in butcher paper.

What a great memory!! Did you live in a city type city? I lived and still live in a small city. But in Texas you usually need to drive to get to a store. It's in your neighborhood but not usually walking distance.

Your concoction would be amazing on a pizza!

It's a bit wet. I'd need to drain or cut down on the amount of balsamic.

Gman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, dislike a hunk of lettuce on my sandwich or burger. It adds nothing to the taste, and often bulks up the burger to the point that it is hard to get it in my mouth. (Making the sandwich or burger look bigger is probably the reason they add it.) The lettuce also tends to make the thing slippery and hard to hold. I usually remove the lettuce before I start to eat.

in an effort to lose a few lbs., I'm reduced to ordering my In N Outs "protein style" off their "secret menu"......iceberg lettuce replaces a bun.......soon I'll be able to reward myself and eat a double-double the way it ought to be eaten.......protein style is pictured here:

Low-Carb-In-N-Out-Double-Double-Protein-Style-Burger.jpg?resize=825%2C619&ssl=1

I'll take the lettuce. But please remove the cheese!!?

Gman

Here is another summer salad that I grew up with which is easy and very nice.

1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced

1 medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings

2 medium tomatoes, sliced (preferably vine ripened)

several garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped

fresh dill, chopped

Layer the cucumber, red onion rings and sliced tomatoes sprinkling each layer with some of the finely chopped garlic and dill. Pour over the vegetables a simple vinaigrette and refrigerate for a couple of hour prior to serving.

On Thursday I will be serving this salad along with sloppy Joe's and potato chips. Two of my very best friends come over every Thursday evening for dinner. We sit at the opposite ends of my patio and I place the food on a card table in between us.

My Mom only likes cucumbers if they are pickled. I'm not quite that bad. But they definitely need some dressing on them. She would pickle them I think in old pickle jars or maybe old Miracle Whip jars.

Were we at risk of botulism since she didn't pressure cook them? I'm thinking they are probably a high acid food because of all the vinegar.

Gman

We stopped at Harris Ranch for lunch a couple years ago on a drive to LA when I was on a strict low-carb regimen. i had their burger with iceburg lettuce. I thought it was a great stand-in if, for some reason, you can't eat a normal burger. A burger & fries is simply my favorite food.

Gar1eth I do quite a bit of canning. If your mom used vinegar in the pickling (likely) there was no danger of botulism developing. I frequently pickle beets and they are also not a problem because of the use of vinegar.. Jam and jellies may also be preserved without concern for botulism because of the acid in the fruits. Where the problem arises concerning botulism is in low acid vegetables ie. string beans, corn, and even some tomatoes.

Thanks. I've also been thinking of adding some pepperoni or come to think of it some salami to it. But kosher salami is expensive these days. The only two stores I know around here where you can buy it are at a few Costcos (but I'm not a member), and at a gourmet grocery called Central Market. There might be a few delis where you can buy it, but it would be even more expensive there.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me it was easier to find kosher salami when I was growing up. On the other hand, I grew up in city with only about 70 to 100 Jewish families. It's possible that only one or two grocery stores carried it, all the Jews bought it from those stores, and those stores happened to be my Mom's usual stores.

Gman

Why don't you add some protein?

in an effort to lose a few lbs., I'm reduced to ordering my In N Outs "protein style" off their "secret menu"......iceberg lettuce replaces a bun.......soon, I'll be able to reward myself and eat a double-double the way it ought to be eaten.......protein style is pictured here:

Low-Carb-In-N-Out-Double-Double-Protein-Style-Burger.jpg?resize=825%2C619&ssl=1

Jack in the box also has a delicious burger wrapped in lettuce!

Grate the mozzarella with the slice part of an old fashioned cheese grater

The idea is trying to eat something healthier... why adding cheese?

Gar1eth I do quite a bit of canning. If your mom used vinegar in the pickling (likely) there was no danger of botulism developing. I frequently pickle beets and they are also not a problem because of the use of vinegar.. Jam and jellies may also be preserved without concern for botulism because of the acid in the fruits. Where the problem arises concerning botulism is in low acid vegetables ie. string beans, corn, and even some tomatoes.

Thank you, I appreciate the info. I've never canned, but I've thought about it. Have you ever tried anything like these Smashed Pickles?

Gman

Gar1eth my mother used to make wonderful dill pickles. She would arrange with a local vegetable stall to have small cucumbers field picked early in the morning. We would pick three or four lugs up from the stall around 9 in the morning. When we got home it was my job to wash them while my mother prepared the pickling liquid. She would pack the jars with the cucumbers and a fresh dill head. She added a small lump of alum supposedly to keep them crisp. She then fill the Kerr or Mason jars with the hot liquid and sealed them. She didn't even bother to water bath them. Now my success rate at making these pickles has been awful. They have always come out soft and mushy - in fact I've given up trying to make them which is partially why I have turned to pickling beet which I love.

I’m indifferent to lettuce. My sainted Chinese mother-in-law has visited us on several occasions for months long stays. When she arrives she takes over the kitchen and culinary delights emerge night after night and lunches too. There’s just one glitch. She’s never met a slice of lettuce that shouldn’t be first stir fried. I have to occasionally escape to a McDonalds for a small side salad.

I must be the odd man out. I like all kinds of lettuce including iceberg and like my burgers with cheese (cheddar usually as I don’t like American ? ), ?, ? and ?.

Boring story. I may have told it before. But I'm trying to delay starting a cleaning project. Years ago when I was working we had started a new division. About three months into it, we had a group lunch to celebrate the successful launch. I had to finish up some late work while everyone one else went to an Italian restaurant. I showed up about 15 minutes after everyone else They had already ordered. I was sitting next to my best buddy in the group. I asked for a menu. He said, "Don't worry about it. We ordered you something you'll like." I said, "Let me see a menu." He said again, "Don't worry about it."

I don't know how long we played this "game" back and forth-probably a few minutes. The waiter came with the drinks for the table. Around that time, I finally said, "I don't like lasagna." My buddy looks at the waiter and says, "Could you get him a menu?"

I knew they had ordered me lasagna because everyone one thinks everyone one loves lasagna. And if you'd take off whatever cheese is on top and the ricotta, or whatever you've substituted for ricotta, in the middle, I'd love it too.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

Gar1eth my mother used to make wonderful dill pickles. She would arrange with a local vegetable stall to have small cucumbers field picked early in the morning. We would pick three or four lugs up from the stall around 9 in the morning. When we got home it was my job to wash them while my mother prepared the pickling liquid. She would pack the jars with the cucumbers and a fresh dill head. She added a small lump of alum supposedly to keep them crisp. She then fill the Kerr or Mason jars with the hot liquid and sealed them. She didn't even bother to water bath them. Now my success rate at making these pickles has been awful. They have always come out soft and mushy - in fact I've given up trying to make them which is partially why I have turned to pickling beet which I love.

I use this recipe for pickles picked from my backyard garden. Make sure to cool the pickling brine before pouring over pickles to keep them crisp.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233542/refrigerator-dill-pickles/