Customer Service?

jeezopete
This topic is 1132 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I recently emailed an online company with a question about a product they had for sale. I received a quick response telling me they would contact the manufacturer for the information I requested. About a week later, I received a response that began with:

"Thank you for your patience while I researched your question regarding the Bloom Fir Potting Bench. I am very sorry, but I was unable to find a satisfying answer.

Also, we apologize for the delayed response. We are experiencing higher than normal volumes. We hope that this information is still useful."

Ummm....useful? Seriously??

I once bought one of those 3 foot real trees they sell outside the Jewel (Albertsons) at Christmas time. I got it home, and put it up on a table while I dug out a box of decorations. About an hour later, I began to put on lights. Needles began to drop off like crazy. I shook it, and at least half fell off all over the table and floor. I fired off an email to Albertsons.

The response was the usual corporate BS apology, along with comment about how there are sometimes mistakes in the “manufacturing process”.

I responded that they clearly did not read my email, as some would say, only God can make a tree.

If it's an item available to purchase online, you can probably find as much information about it than a customer service rep by doing a Google search. Even if the customer service rep reached out to the manufacturer -- and I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they did -- if your question is so specific that the information isn't readily available then the person at the manufacturer receiving that question probably didn't have the answer, either.

I do get a chuckle out of that canned closing...we're sorry we cannot help you, but we hope you are willing to believe that we helped you anyway. Seems like every company has a similar closing to their customer service chats/emails now.

It’s unfortunate, but Customer Service is rapidly going down hill. FAST! I should know, I’ve managed customer service organizations for over 40 years. One of the problems is the caliber of the agent. Let’s face it, a college graduate is not going to sit at a monitor for 7 hours listen to people bitch for $12/hr. So we get the bottom of the barrel, high school grads and GEDs. We can’t raise the rate without raising the product price. We can see that with stores that provide amazing custom service, Neiman-Marcus, Bloomingdales, Eddie Bauer, etc. Everyone should be able to provide excellent customer service!

It’s unfortunate, but Customer Service is rapidly going down hill. FAST! I should know, I’ve managed customer service organizations for over 40 years. One of the problems is the caliber of the agent. Let’s face it, a college graduate is not going to sit at a monitor for 7 hours listen to people bitch for $12/hr. So we get the bottom of the barrel, high school grads and GEDs. We can’t raise the rate without raising the product price. We can see that with stores that provide amazing custom service, Neiman-Marcus, Bloomingdales, Eddie Bauer, etc. Everyone should be able to provide excellent customer service!

Yes, everyone should be able to provide excellent customer service BUT will customers pay Neiman-Marcus prices? The problem is customers want rock bottom Walmart prices but top quality Neiman-Marcus service and quality products.

Yes, everyone should be able to provide excellent customer service BUT will customers pay Neiman-Marcus prices? The problem is customers want rock bottom Walmart prices but top quality Neiman-Marcus service and quality products.

Some people, including me, honor quality service over low prices. I will purchase from Neimans knowing I will pay more but get the service I enjoy.

I recently emailed an online company with a question about a product they had for sale. I received a quick response telling me they would contact the manufacturer for the information I requested. About a week later, I received a response that began with:

"Thank you for your patience while I researched your question regarding the Bloom Fir Potting Bench. I am very sorry, but I was unable to find a satisfying answer.

Also, we apologize for the delayed response. We are experiencing higher than normal volumes. We hope that this information is still useful."

Ummm....useful? Seriously??

First of all sorry to hear that and I'm sure as a paying customer it must be frustrating.

Sounds like Artificial Intelligence is not that smart!

That's why I love Ebay, there's always a person answering emails with questions.

Perhaps it was this way before and I just did not notice it but it seems more likely that I simply will not be able to understand the agent. I will have to say, "I'm sorry but I have no idea what you just said." I have normal hearing and do not need an aide. I do not know if you think this is lesser quality or just how things are right now.

Hopefully if you buy from a higher end store you won't need the customer service.

Isn't that what they mean when they say "you get what you pay for?"

Also customer service is, “Where can I find XYZ?” or, “Do you have this in my size?” Don’t say, “I don’t know.” Don’t point. Show me to it or bring it to me.

What I hate is calling customer service and getting an automated response which requires me to choose one of a few numbers to press, but none of them reflect my actual problem. So I consider them and press the one that seems least inappropriate, and I get transferred to another group of choices which are even worse. It usually means I have to hang up and start over, and by then I am really pissed off.

was at Target a couple days ago looking for a stainless-steel saucepan......the specific size I wanted was out in the display (other sizes were available), so I asked a "team member" if there were some in the back.......he pulled out some tablet-like thing, punched something in, and said all stores but one in town were out of stock.....I was impressed with that quick answer

was at Target a couple days ago looking for a stainless-steel saucepan......the specific size I wanted was out in the display (other sizes were available), so I asked a "team member" if there were some in the back.......he pulled out some tablet-like thing, punched something in, and said all stores but one in town were out of stock.....I was impressed with that quick answer

As impressive as that sounds, one has to wonder whether it was accurate information. While I acknowledge that an employee might be accessing different data than what's available to customers via a website, I went to Target recently to buy an ink jet cartridge which was listed as "last one left" at my nearest store. I got there and there were several of them.

I've had the reverse experience as well, leaving disappointed because the item I wanted that was supposedly in stock was nowhere to be found.

Perhaps it was this way before and I just did not notice it but it seems more likely that I simply will not be able to understand the agent. I will have to say, "I'm sorry but I have no idea what you just said." I have normal hearing and do not need an aide. I do not know if you think this is lesser quality or just how things are right now.

One thing that has become apparently to me after working from home exclusively for the past four months: A lot of people (young and old) have poor communication skills. I do software support and training. The number of people who cannot clearly articulate their problem is astounding as is the number of people who cannot directly answer specific questions when asked. This is especially true via email. When I am on the phone with someone, I can direct the flow of communication more effectively.

As impressive as that sounds, one has to wonder whether it was accurate information. While I acknowledge that an employee might be accessing different data than what's available to customers via a website, I went to Target recently to buy an ink jet cartridge which was listed as "last one left" at my nearest store. I got there and there were several of them.

I've had the reverse experience as well, leaving disappointed because the item I wanted that was supposedly in stock was nowhere to be found.

I'm confused why, given that inventory control is computerized is most stores, that they aren't able to tell you exactly how many of any given item is available at any time of the day or night.

Shoplifters, maybe?

One thing that has become apparently to me after working from home exclusively for the past four months: A lot of people (young and old) have poor communication skills. I do software support and training. The number of people who cannot clearly articulate their problem is astounding as is the number of people who cannot directly answer specific questions when asked. This is especially true via email. When I am on the phone with someone, I can direct the flow of communication more effectively.

Everything you say is true. However, I was also referring to being able to sound out phrases and particular words so that the average person can understand what is being said. I understand that every section of the country has its own dialect however what I am talking about goes well beyond that. Moreover I believe that companies should create and/or teach a particular way of speaking that would make it easiest for an average consumer.

With Target with your particular experience of being more product then what was listed online, most likely the Logistics or Receiving team missed scanning that box into the inventory system when the shipment truck arrived. I worked at target once for nearly 3 months before being fired for a lunch break violation because I was always having to deal with our own stores super surplus inventory after our grand opening,

I'm confused why, given that inventory control is computerized is most stores, that they aren't able to tell you exactly how many of any given item is available at any time of the day or night. Shoplifters, maybe?

With Target with your particular experience of being more product then what was listed online, most likely the Logistics or Receiving team missed scanning that box into the inventory system when the shipment truck arrived.

My sister works in retail and she always talks about it when I visit her. Inventory not being there when the 'computer says yes' can be a result of shoplifters, but it can also be that customers have picked items up and put them down in the wrong place or a box of items was brought onto inventory and is sitting in the corner of a storeroom somewhere. Sometimes a team member will notice something out of place or will be able to find something that is out the back somewhere, sometimes not. What Matt says is also one of the reasons. Not everything is automated, so human error can affect the accuracy of the stock holdings.

When we went to Lowe's to buy a new clothes dryer, the salesman looked in the computer, and it said that there was one unit of the model we liked in their stock. So he went to look for it to be sure it was there. It took him 25 minutes, but he finally found it. That's what I want in customer service.

Well, when I went to Lowe's to buy a microwave, they said they had one of the model I desired in stock. Then he refused to sell it to me, saving they had to keep one in inventory as a rule. Craziest damn thing.

I found just the dryer I wanted on Costco.com this morning, but when I went to buy it, they finally notify me that it is out of stock. Nothing about when they would have it. So take the listing down. It's $150 more elsewhere.

• 8 months later...
What I hate is calling customer service and getting an automated response which requires me to choose one of a few numbers to press, but none of them reflect my actual problem. So I consider them and press the one that seems least inappropriate, and I get transferred to another group of choices which are even worse. It usually means I have to hang up and start over, and by then I am really pissed off.

It’s unfortunate, but Customer Service is rapidly going down hill. FAST! I should know, I’ve managed customer service organizations for over 40 years. One of the problems is the caliber of the agent. Let’s face it, a college graduate is not going to sit at a monitor for 7 hours listen to people bitch for $12/hr. So we get the bottom of the barrel, high school grads and GEDs. We can’t raise the rate without raising the product price.

Sounds like Artificial Intelligence is not that smart!

The biggest problem I have with Customer Service is I don't understand what they are saying most of the time. The young people (especially young girls) talk too fast and garble their words. Foreign accents are a problem for me also.

Everything you say is true. However, I was also referring to being able to sound out phrases and particular words so that the average person can understand what is being said. I understand that every section of the country has its own dialect however what I am talking about goes well beyond that. Moreover I believe that companies should create and/or teach a particular way of speaking that would make it easiest for an average consumer.

2076053.gif