Drinking more during the lockdown?

Pensant
This topic is 1510 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I feel sorry for the people that live in PA that are out of booze since neighboring states are no longer selling to them. If they order liquor stores closed here I hope Michigan will continue to sell to Ohio residents. I prefer to go to MIchigan to a liquor store to buy alcohol when I need it because it's cheaper, they have a better selection and the store I like to go to is offering curbside delivery.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the people that live in PA that are out of booze since neighboring states are no longer selling to them. If they order liquor stores closed here I hope Michigan will continue to sell to Ohio residents. I prefer to go to MIchigan to a liquor store to buy alcohol when I need it because it's cheaper, they have a better selection and the store I like to go to is offering curbside delivery.

I read somewhere that PA Liquor Control Board was trying to find a way to sell online because they are losing so much money. It would be difficult, because the purchaser is required to show proof of age at time of purchase.

Yes. I decided to empty the deep freezer and the liquor cabinet of all the stuff that is never going to get drunk and refuse to buy more until they have been consumed or disposed of. I am down to a bottle of whiskey, one champagne and one prosecco before I am allowed to go buy more vodka or gin. I have thrown about 7 bottles of utter garbage (wine and/or liquor) away. The deep freezer still has a couple weeks of stuff in it.

I read somewhere that PA Liquor Control Board was trying to find a way to sell online because they are losing so much money. It would be difficult, because the purchaser is required to show proof of age at time of purchase.

I have ordered wine from out of state online and had it delivered. The carrier just has to require a 21+ year old sign for it and not sure if UPS will want to handle checking ID's now since thaty can't stay six feet apartment for the signature and if the person appears under 21 and have to check the id. What they should do is what Ohio did last week and allow restaurants to serve to serve to go cocktails, it would also help the restaurants out, the mexican place I like by my house told me his business was almost triple on Saturday as to opposed to the week before since he can serve margirittas now. Another thing they could do is allow restaurants with an liquor license to sell liquor to go, would help the residents who didn't stock up have liquor to enjoy while allowing the restaurants to get more revenue.

I buy booze online all the time. When UPS & FedEx drivers come to the door, someone over 21 must accept the delivery.

The only change since COVID-19 is the driver records the name of the person he’s leaving the box with. Obviously I appear over 61.

I have ordered wine from out of state online and had it delivered. The carrier just has to require a 21+ year old sign for it and not sure if UPS will want to handle checking ID's now since thaty can't stay six feet apartment for the signature and if the person appears under 21 and have to check the id.

I live in PA, order wine on-line and have it delivered to either the local FedEx or UPS location, depending on the carrier chosen, and pick it up since I’m usually not home during the day. I had my most recent shipment sent to my home since I’m working from home due to the virus. The UPS guy didn’t require an ID (I’m obviously over 21), nor a signature. He just noted it was handed to an adult.

PA realized they’re losing tons of revenue because they closed the state-run liquor stores, so they’re allowing on-line purchases with the same requirement as the wine deliveries. I haven’t ordered yet, but I’ve heard the site crashes constantly because everyone is trying to order.

“Wine is fine, but liquor is quicker.”

what is this?.....this state-run liquor stores you speak of?.......:p

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, the biggest booze customer in America.

Was joking, but thanks for that cool piece of information! Very interesting!

What @Pensant said. LOL.

They just started allowing certain supermarkets to sell beer and wine within the last few years. Before then, planning a party required separate trips to the beer distributor, liquor store, and supermarket (cheaper for mixers and soft drinks).

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, the biggest booze customer in America.

When I went to the University of Pennsylvania back in the ‘60’s, those state stores had higher prices than surrounding states (and a higher age for purchase). Students use to go home on weekends with mostly empty suitcases and return with as much liquor as they could reasonably lift in the suitcase.

So much for government protection from monopolies charging higher prices?.

I was born in Bryn Mawr and lived in Pennsylvania for the first 22 years of my life before moving to California. At least NJ was close.

Main Line boy!

Don’t forget Delaware, the home of tax free shopping!

This is going to be one of the most ridiculous posts on his thread. I will be 80 in October and have lived alone most of my life. My father was an alcoholic, definitely not a drunk, but he was almost never without a beer in his hand. Several of his siblings were also alcoholics. Although my father was NEVER abusive, in any way, he was frequently NOT an active family participant. Years ago I read an article describing how to tell if you were an alcoholic. One of the criteria was that if you drink alone. Now I live alone thus if I have a glass of wine with dinner I will be drinking alone. I have a small wine cabinet and additionally have a large cabinet full of just about every type of alcohol available in a regular liquor store – I cook with a lot of the stuff. Do I ever have a glass of wine or a drink at home before dinner, during dinner or after dinner? NEVER!!! I’m that absurdly afraid of being an alcoholic. RIDICUOUS but true. Damn people can be and frequently are strange and that definitely includes me.

What @Pensant said. LOL.

They just started allowing certain supermarkets to sell beer and wine within the last few years. Before then, planning a party required separate trips to the beer distributor, liquor store, and supermarket (cheaper for mixers and soft drinks).

Luckily, we lived in Philly, and just drove across the river to NJ when we needed stuff for a party. But one had to be careful, because PA authorities watched the liquor stores there for folks with PA plates who bought a lot. Friends went over there once when they were having a big party, but they saw someone eying them suspiciously from another car in the parking lot of the liquor store in Cherry Hill, so they drove their puchases to the PATCO train stop in Camden, put it all in shopping bags, and one of them took the train across the river, while the other one drove across the Ben Franklin Bridge. Sure enough, he was stopped by cops waiting at the Philly side of the bridge, who were dumbfounded when they searched the car and found nothing. They let him go, and he went to the PATCO station downtown and picked up his partner with the bags.

Luckily, we lived in Philly, and just drove across the river to NJ when we needed stuff for a party. But one had to be careful, because PA authorities watched the liquor stores there for folks with PA plates who bought a lot. Friends went over there once when they were having a big party, but they saw someone eying them suspiciously from another car in the parking lot of the liquor store in Cherry Hill, so they drove their puchases to the PATCO train stop in Camden, put it all in shopping bags, and one of them took the train across the river, while the other one drove across the Ben Franklin Bridge. Sure enough, he was stopped by cops waiting at the Philly side of the bridge, who were dumbfounded when they searched the car and found nothing. They let him go, and he went to the PATCO station downtown and picked up his partner with the bags.

Now, and for years, there is a ferry from Camden to Philadelphia. A much better trip if you live in Center City Philadelphia.