Has this crisis helped you define meaning in your life?

This topic is 1529 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Not long ago, I heard a short news piece on KPIX radio, I believe by Brian Banmiller, in which he discussed a study that tried to find which seniors were more content. He stated that the study showed that seniors who had jobs were in general more content than those who were retired. That had me questioning a bit, since I plan to retire quite early, possibly within the next year. But here I sit now, having had to abandon my vacation to central America, just to stay at work. My life is work and home, and I will say that I find it very unsatisfying. While there is certainly some satisfaction in my work, I have reflected that what gives my life the most meaning are my travels, sex, cultural experiences (performances, etc.), the outdoors, and masturbation. Well, at least I still have the last thing.

For me, this crisis has showed me that I probably will find retirement fulfilling, despite the absence of gainful employment. Travel, outdoor activities, studying linguistics at UCLA (probably auditing courses), and sex will probably give meaning and happiness to my life. Any of you also find that the crisis helped shape your opinion as to what's important to you?

Not long ago, I heard a short news piece on KPIX radio, I believe by Brian Banmiller, in which he discussed a study that tried to find which seniors were more content. He stated that the study showed that seniors who had jobs were in general more content than those who were retired. That had me questioning a bit, since I plan to retire quite early, possibly within the next year. But here I sit now, having had to abandon my vacation to central America, just to stay at work. My life is work and home, and I will say that I find it very unsatisfying. While there is certainly some satisfaction in my work, I have reflected that what gives my life the most meaning are my travels, sex, cultural experiences (performances, etc.), the outdoors, and masturbation. Well, at least I still have the last thing.

For me, this crisis has showed me that I probably will find retirement fulfilling, despite the absence of gainful employment. Travel, outdoor activities, studying linguistics at UCLA (probably auditing courses), and sex will probably give meaning and happiness to my life. Any of you also find that the crisis helped shape your opinion as to what's important to you?

Although I liked and still like the profession that I was in for almost 40 years, I love retirement. This year marks the 18th. I am diligent in adapting to the guidelines that the CDC established, and overall the folks of Monterey County California are likewise, and I applaud them as well as myself.

Although I liked and still like the profession that I was in for almost 40 years, I love retirement. This year marks the 18th. I am diligent in adapting to the guidelines that the CDC established, and overall the folks of Monterey County California are likewise, and I applaud them as well as myself.

Fortunately you, like me, live in a civilized area with good folks who understand the gravity of the situation, yet are always ready with a smile or willing to chat for a few minutes.

I think someone's response to this is largely informed by their financial position. If you have the means to travel, pursue hobbies, etc, you are likely to find a regular job constraining as it limits your ability to do those other things. If your alternative to working is staying at home, cooking and cleaning for yourself, and watching TV you are likely to feel, regardless of whether your work was "meaningful" that you were happier working. At least there you have some interaction with other people.

Although I have always thought of myself as something of a loner, this crisis has made me more aware how much of the meaning I get from life is from social interaction. Before I retired, I looked forward to having more time to sit at home alone and read and listen to music. Instead, I moved to Southern California and ended up spending my most enjoyable hours playing tennis and socializing at a tennis club. I now live in a 55+ community, where I have also discovered the pleasure of playing Bridge and other games with groups of residents. All those activities have suddenly been stopped by government orders, and I have lots of time to sit at home and read and listen to music...but I don't feel like doing that now.

Not so much to “define life’s meaning” but a reminder that mankind is not as powerful as we believe in our modern era. For people in our time, life has been relatively easy compared to our ancestors who knew the universe was full of risk. Due to our good fortune of living in modern times with painless dentistry, climate controlled homes and computers-phones in our hands, God became irrelevant.

We are experiencing a great cataclysm that is starting to feel apocalyptic in almost Biblical terms. We are being humbled as we begin to realize our powerlessness in the face of the unknown.

It is a time like this that I am reminded that people of strong spiritual resources can redeem catastrophe and turn it into a wonderful moment. I was belittled on this site for admiring of the victims of Dylan Roof’s mass murder in a black church who instead of revenge offered forgiveness. That is the spiritual strength of which I speak that is rare in our time. Can people redeem the Coronavirus catastrophe and turn it into a grand creative moment like those church goers? I think people with a deep sense of religious strength can do this.

A British historian, Herbert Butterfield in 1949 published “Christianity and History.” It emphasizes the Hebrew Bible’s teaching on history. The Hebrew patriarchs reflected on catastrophe and cataclysmic events and found God in history. These events are a call for repentance and revival and deepening our spiritual beliefs.

So in answer to the question posed: I find our situation a reminder of our frailty and insignificance in the scope of the universe. Man is not as powerful as many believe. This is a reminder of the importance of faith and the importance of deep spiritual resources.

I am too busy with face masks and latex gloves, and trying to score some elusive grocery items while worrying about staying safe and Alive to even think about Life's meaning...

Maybe when I have some downtime ? o_O

This reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide and the three levels of civilization.

Survival, Inquiry, and Sophistication. The first is characterized by the question How can we eat? The second asks Why do we eat? The third inquires Where shall we have lunch?

Although I have always thought of myself as something of a loner, this crisis has made me more aware how much of the meaning I get from life is from social interaction. Before I retired, I looked forward to having more time to sit at home alone and read and listen to music. Instead, I moved to Southern California and ended up spending my most enjoyable hours playing tennis and socializing at a tennis club. I now live in a 55+ community, where I have also discovered the pleasure of playing Bridge and other games with groups of residents. All those activities have suddenly been stopped by government orders, and I have lots of time to sit at home and read and listen to music...but I don't feel like doing that now.

I'm an introvert too and need a lot of time alone for every hour I spend with people. But now I'm learning that I enjoy being around people more than I thought. What's depressing about the isolation is that there's nothing good waiting for me on the other side. I'm not referring to romance or sex here but just hanging out with people.

I'm an introvert too and need a lot of time alone for every hour I spend with people. But now I'm learning that I enjoy being around people more than I thought. What's depressing about the isolation is that there's nothing good waiting for me on the other side. I'm not referring to romance or sex here but just hanging out with people.

Well said. Like you, I enjoy my alone time...in smaller doses than I have now...

I don’t isolate because of age or fear of getting it, but rather to not risk getting it and passing it on. But the isolation is not fun...now I sit on my front porch and not the back so I can at least wave at people as they walk by ;)

A good question. I don't think this pandemic has helped define meaning in my life, but rather has reconfirmed values that I had already been trying to live by.

We all know there is a tremendous amount of heartache, sorrow and fear associated with this virus, and there have even been those who have used this pandemic to their own benefit. Human nature can be harsh, selfish and unforgiving.

But I'm trying to see the silver lining: people risking their own safety to help others; faith groups providing support to communities in ways they hadn't served people before; people taking a necessary pause from their busy lives and realizing the importance of relationships again, now that social-distancing is the norm; the recovery of some ecosystems suggesting that the Earth is far more resilient than we had realized; and, humanity being forced to adapt to changing conditons and waking up to the fact that we are not invincible.

These are just a few of the 'positives' I have noticed. This is not to suggest that corona is a 'good' thing by any means - it is a virus, and viruses don't have values, just effects. And corona continues to have many terrible effects, but most challenges we face can also have some positive effects if we are willing and able to recognize them. The question, as I see it, is whether these societal changes are temporary, or whether the pandemic has actually changed people's hearts for the better in an enduring way?