The simple kindness of neighbors in these times.

bashful
This topic is 1506 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I live in a condo building. There are several over 60 year old residents (including me).

Early this week, on the community bulletin board, a note was posted. A neighbor was offering to pick up groceries for anyone who didn't want to go out.

Thursday, I got a message on my phone from a neighbor down the hall. She said others on the floor have been checking in on each other, and wanted to check in on me. I called to say thanks, and we talked a bit. She also wanted to let me know she received an email from our snowbird neighbors who have been gone since November. The snowbirds told her, if anybody needs toilet paper, they have a lot. My neighbor has a key, and if any of us need some, just go in and grab some.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too live in a small condo building and on our community email list, one of the other owners made a similar offer to help out if ANYONE (not just elderly) needed anything. Such a nice gesture.

It’s nice people come together in times of need. This was the same way during Hurricane Sandy. I hardly knew any neighbors then... afterwards, we became good friends. Some of them have even become pet sitters and travel buddies too!

...live in a townhouse. ...neighbors who live next door opened theirs yesterday while I was onward to my auto to inquire about my welfare. I assured them that I was fine and that I truly appreciated their reaching out. Right now I am still moved by their gesture of offering.

[i think I am the oldest single individual living at Siesta Village....]

While Dallas is one of the least genuinely friendly places in Texas I've lived, currently spending time down in Port Aransas gives me hope that the human condition isn't a selfish/egocentric one.

The locals here have been awesome. It's a great little community.

Life is tough for a lot of people right now... It's not rocket science to smile, be kind and help out your fellow human being if they need it.

Several of the local restaurants and sandwich shops have been sending food to the hospital at which I work. The hospital itself closed down the cafeteria and was not allowing deliveries in the hospital. The local businesses have sent people over and has had them wait at a back door for staff to come and get the free eats. When you are working long hours and have not had much to et you would be surprised how good a Jersey Mike's sandwich tastes. Also local bakeries sending in baked goods and bagel shops sending in bagels and coffee. There is hope for us. Of course the federal government has not sent anything in, not even masks or gowns.

Several of the local restaurants and sandwich shops have been sending food to the hospital at which I work. The hospital itself closed down the cafeteria and was not allowing deliveries in the hospital. The local businesses have sent people over and has had them wait at a back door for staff to come and get the free eats. When you are working long hours and have not had much to et you would be surprised how good a Jersey Mike's sandwich tastes. Also local bakeries sending in baked goods and bagel shops sending in bagels and coffee. There is hope for us. Of course the federal government has not sent anything in, not even masks or gowns.

Jersey Mike subs are the best!

Really??? Which hospital is that??? Some hospitals are not allowing the public to eat in their cafeterias, but they OBVIOUSLY have to stay open for staff and patients. I'm calling you know what on this post. And no food deliveries? Yeah sure.

Really??? Which hospital is that??? Some hospitals are not allowing the public to eat in their cafeterias, but they OBVIOUSLY have to stay open for staff and patients. I'm calling you know what on this post. And no food deliveries? Yeah sure.

Booooo! I don't think purplekow would make something like this up!! You turned this positive thread negative.

Booooo! I don't think purplekow would make something like this up!! You turned this positive thread negative.

Oh yes he would. Food deliveries are safe. That's why restaurants are allowed to maintain take out service. purplekow is no sweetheart and gets real nasty himself. My post isn't nasty. Just stating the obvious.

Let me make this clear so even you can understand it. There are no deliveries of restaurant food to the hospital but the staff could go out and get themselves food. This was modified so that the staff can get food delivered to a back door but delivery persons cannot come in the hospital. It should be obvious even to you that having restaurant food delivery people walking around the hospital would not be a good idea. The cafeteria is closed so that there are not large groups in the cafeteria. The restaurants and delis are sending food free. I have no idea why you have trouble believing this since you seem to believe all the trash a certain pumpkin president has to say. Perhaps I was not as clear in my explanation as you need. In any case, I still have not gotten an answer from you about your willingness to tell my patients that, hell, this is not the bubonic plague. That dismissive remark says more about you that you could reveal in a Bible length biography.

Oh yes he would. Food deliveries are safe. That's why restaurants are allowed to maintain take out service. purplekow is no sweetheart and gets real nasty himself. My post isn't nasty. Just stating the obvious.

By the way, I did not say that food deliveries were unsafe, just that the hospital had curtailed the food deliveries from restaurants to the hospital. This had to do with delivery personnel in the hospital, which was not considered safe. Subsequently, the administration changed that to allow delivery to a back door for pick up by the ordering staff members.

A local religious institution has a variation on this: they have set up a fund for donations; the donations are used to order food from local restaurants for delivery to health care and emergency workers, providing support for both the workers and the restaurants.

I saw a couple of articles today about people in rural areas becoming upset by the number of urban dwellers trying to escape to places they consider "safer" from the disruptions of COVID-19. They are afraid that a) they may be bringing the infection with them, b) they will use the limited resources available to locals, and c) if they become ill, they will overwhelm the scarce medical facilities in most rural areas. At Joshua Tree, the small town near the national park, people from LA are taking long term contracts on the rentals usually used by short term visitors to the park. You may find that the neighbors of that Virginia farm are not as welcoming as you expect.

...live in a townhouse. ...neighbors who live next door opened theirs yesterday while I was onward to my auto to inquire about my welfare. I assured them that I was fine and that I truly appreciated their reaching out. Right now I am still moved by their gesture of offering.

[i think I am the oldest single individual living at Siesta Village....]

Today I received two orders. The first one I brought inside and left on the second step of my staircase. ...heard on the news an hour later that when one receives deliveries from UPS, FEDEX, or the other one which name is not surfacing leave outside for 24 hours. A few hours later, I opened my door, and two neighbors who live in opposite directions from my (one east and the other west) asked if I were all right. One neighbor even asked me if I'd wanted help with the big box; I thanked her and declined, for I am not in need, something that I feel blessed and fortunate at this time.

I saw a couple of articles today about people in rural areas becoming upset by the number of urban dwellers trying to escape to places they consider "safer" from the disruptions of COVID-19. They are afraid that a) they may be bringing the infection with them, b) they will use the limited resources available to locals, and c) if they become ill, they will overwhelm the scarce medical facilities in most rural areas. At Joshua Tree, the small town near the national park, people from LA are taking long term contracts on the rentals usually used by short term visitors to the park. You may find that the neighbors of that Virginia farm are not as welcoming as you expect.

Haha I almost sent you a link to what I assume is the same LA Times article. My brother was in his Palm Springs Home this weekend, and felt that a bit from his neighbors.

Considering it's 40 acres I doubt they see much of me but just in case I'm a member of pink pistols.

Much the same here in Kansas. People calling to ask if I need help of any kind. Neighbors asking each other if they can do anything for each other. Emails going out from local community groups with suggestions for charitable actions that need to be taken. For example, a friend volunteers at an inner city charter schools and she is organizing the production of 240 packages for the kids containing school supplies for home learning (paper, crayons, glue, etc); the local blood bank put out a call for donors and has a schedule that goes out week of donors; meals on wheels has expanded to meet the needs of newly home bound seniors; a local whisky distillery has started making hand sanitizer and is donating the sanitizer to people in need; etc

The outpouring of generosity is amazing as people are rising to the challenge of the crisis.

Just a quick note. Headed to work. It gets tougher each day and we are no where near the peak. Hospital is short o protective equipment. Two patient deaths last night and 7 more admissions. There is a palpable sense of foreboding at the hospital, which is strangely quite amid the chaos.

No visitors are allowed, so the patients see only the staff which I think adds to the general anxiety, but allowing visitors would only enganger more people.

I hope the rest o the country is better prepared or this than NYC area was.

Still nowhere near enough tests. Free standing testing sites are open for a few hours and then run out o tests. Cars are lined up or miles and then turned away.

A friend of mine who got a positive result was called by the health department and the CDC soon after he got his result and he was questioned about his symptoms and the like but they did not ask at all about contacts or try to get demographic information about people he may have contacted.

Need to go.