The simple kindness of neighbors in these times.

bashful
This topic is 1505 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about a “thing” springing up in some neighborhoods - a Bear Hunt.

Neighbors participating will place a stuffed bear somewhere visible from the sidewalk - in a tree, a window, etc, and parents with little kids can walk them around to hunt bear and report success on Facebook.

Pretty cool

I have a friend who is in a lower middle class building. He is cooking all the meals for a frail old lady. In addition, a number of people in his building lost their jobs, have no money and no food. My friend has little money himself but went out and bought grocery gift cards to distribute to those people. What a mensch?.

Just a quick note. Headed to work. It gets tougher each day and we are no where near the peak. Hospital is short o protective equipment. Two patient deaths last night and 7 more admissions. There is a palpable sense of foreboding at the hospital, which is strangely quite amid the chaos.

No visitors are allowed, so the patients see only the staff which I think adds to the general anxiety, but allowing visitors would only enganger more people.

I hope the rest o the country is better prepared or this than NYC area was.

Still nowhere near enough tests. Free standing testing sites are open for a few hours and then run out o tests. Cars are lined up or miles and then turned away.

A friend of mine who got a positive result was called by the health department and the CDC soon after he got his result and he was questioned about his symptoms and the like but they did not ask at all about contacts or try to get demographic information about people he may have contacted.

Need to go.

Thank you, and all your colleagues.

Sorry to have been a bummer earlier. The world has not changed but I have tried to change my attitude. I saw that 69 medical students from NYU who have finished their required courses and were waiting for 2 months until graduation have volunteered to graduate early and volunteer to help out with the situation in NYC. That has renewed my faith in the willingness of first responders and medical care and health care workers will do what is necessary to get us to come out on the other side of this.

I belong to a website called Nextdoor. If you don't know it, it's a forum organized around neighborhoods. You have to prove where you live to join. Many neighbors have posted offers to shop for those who can't get out, to provide toilet paper to the desperate, and so on. One older lady posted her gratitude for a neighbor who knocked on her door and offered to get whatever she needed at Costco.

It's also provided useful info about local stores such as latest opening hours and who seems to have TP in stock.

I belong to a website called Nextdoor. If you don't know it, it's a forum organized around neighborhoods. You have to prove where you live to join. Many neighbors have posted offers to shop for those who can't get out, to provide toilet paper to the desperate, and so on. One older lady posted her gratitude for a neighbor who knocked on her door and offered to get whatever she needed at Costco.

It's also provided useful info about local stores such as latest opening hours and who seems to have TP in stock.

I’m a member of my local Nextdoor site. The other day, an elderly woman posted that she’d pay anyone who would be willing to pick up essentials for her and her husband, both of whom have medical conditions which makes them high risk. There were easily 40 replies from people who offered to do it for free now or anytime in the future, people who offered to bring home-cooked meals to them, and one woman who ordered several meals for them via Door Dash after communicating with them privately.

There’s more that unites us than separates us. We need to remember this after the virus scare recedes.

Drew steps up to the line, pun intended:

METAIRIE, La. -- Drew Brees and his wife, Brittany, announced a $5 million commitment to the state of Louisiana in 2020 to help "our communities get through this tough time."

The New Orleans Saints quarterback said via Twitter last week that assessing the need in New Orleans is "a daunting task" in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak because of how many people it has affected in different ways.

Same here. Nextdoor has always been a great resource in my urban neighborhood. Especially now.

Most of my patient's of greater than 80 who are competent and who have been asked to complete a POLST. (Physician Orders for Life Saving Therapy) opt out of ventilators and most other extreme measures. It is when they are incompetent and family is making the decision that the extreme options are often taken. When I was the medical director of a PACE program, an all inclusive plan for care of the elderly with 55 as the minimum age, 70& of the patients opted out of invasive care with the youngest members being the ones most likely to self include in extreme measures.

Not to say that this woman was not sweet in declining a respirator, but it is likely that she would have made that decision without the Coronavirus situation if she had been asked.

Edited by purplekow

Most of my patient's of greater than 80 who are competent and who have been asked to complete a POLST. (Physician Orders for Life Saving Therapy) opt out of ventilators and most other extreme measures. It is when they are incompetent and family is making the decision that the extreme options are often taken. When I was the medical director of a PACE program, an all inclusive plan for care of the elderly with 55 as the minimum age, 70& of the patients opted out of invasive care with the youngest members being the ones most likely to self include in extreme measures.

Not to say that this woman was not sweet in declining a respiratory, but it is likely that she would have made that decision without the Coronavirus situation if she had been asked.

My father had all the DNR forms already filled out years in advance of his stoke in his mid 90s. It was hard, but of course, we respected it. If he didn't want to eat, then he didn't eat. No catheter could be inserted, but they did put on a tube that attached to his penis like a condom for urine. Like most who are very near death, he rallied, but it was very short, and we lost him within a couple weeks. He never liked the idea of being unable to take care of himself, and dependent on others.

NPR just had a story from the BBC that in hard hit Italy with medical personal putting their lives at risk (because of lack of gloves, masks and other protective devices), a call went out for medical personnel volunteers for the Lombardy region and 17,000 doctors and nurses volunteered.

The personal stories of heroism are amazing. The story talked how Italian medical personal are getting sick but still stay on the job??