Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

Boy, you guys make me look things up, and it's tough! I put "Safta yentas" on google translate with "Detect language" and it came up with Telugu, translating it to "Soft MTS." Then I tried Yiddish and Hebrew, came out blank on Yiddish, and with Hebrew the only thing that came up was safta, which it translated as "juice." Then I tried looking it up through regular google, and I only found something for safta: " Safta means “grandmother” in Hebrew, and we think any grandmother who calls herself safta is kind of… well, badass."

https://www.kveller.com/article/safta-or-savta/

Finally, on regular google, I found yenta translated from Yiddish as "a woman who is a gossip or busybody. 'she acts like a nosy yenta'." I don't know why google translate didn't work when I put in Yiddish. So we got a badass gossiping grandma? What does that have to do with anything? Who's gossiping? Confused...

Are you suggesting that google doesn't know everything??? lol

200.gif

Do you happen to have a good recipe for baking powder dumplings?

The Joy of Cooking wins (almost) every time. I had a yearning for chicken and dumplings (remains of a baked chicken made a terrific stew) like my mother made and J of C’s recipe worked like a charm. Easiest thing in the world. Erma Rombauer and her offspring are my go-to gals.

Edited by BgMstr4u

I just returned from a shopping trip to my local Albertsons/Vons. What a fucking zoo. They have instituted one way traffic and the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. I mentioned to several customers that they were going against the one-way traffic. Their response was invariably a blank look and a huh as they continued on their merry way. The only item I wanted that they didn't have was "Swans Down, Cake Flour". I eventually found it at my old standby Smart & Final.

While in the parking lot at Albertsons I finally came to understand why disinfecting wipes are in such short supply. A couple parked in front of me had two overflowing grocery carts. They were both wearing gloves and masks and were meticulously wiping down each of their items with one disinfecting wipe per grocery item. They had a large paper grocery bag overflowing with discarded wipes. I figure it must have taken them well over an hour to wipe down every item in both carts. God only knows how many wipes they used on their crusade.

The one thing I have learned is that if I want a specific brand of an item I may have to visit more than one store. The cake flour was a perfect example of this.

Boy, you guys make me look things up, and it's tough! I put "Safta yentas" on google translate with "Detect language" and it came up with Telugu, translating it to "Soft MTS." Then I tried Yiddish and Hebrew, came out blank on Yiddish, and with Hebrew the only thing that came up was safta, which it translated as "juice." Then I tried looking it up through regular google, and I only found something for safta: " Safta means “grandmother” in Hebrew, and we think any grandmother who calls herself safta is kind of… well, badass."

https://www.kveller.com/article/safta-or-savta/

Finally, on regular google, I found yenta translated from Yiddish as "a woman who is a gossip or busybody. 'she acts like a nosy yenta'." I don't know why google translate didn't work when I put in Yiddish. So we got a badass gossiping grandma? What does that have to do with anything? Who's gossiping? Confused...

Just accept it as: “old ladies bitching” :D

One of the side effects of my new 'work from home' mandate is now I am eating every meal from home. I usually eat lunch from the cafeteria, eat dinner out a couple of times during the week, and again once during the weekend. As such, I'm not doing a great job of once a week grocery shopping and have probably been 'overbuying.'

This morning, I did an inventory of the refrigerator before heading out. I discovered a bag of baby spinach that I had forgotten about buying and I hadn't eaten all of the blueberries I bought last week because they were BOGO. And I didn't use all of the red, yellow, and green peppers. I decided today to try more frozen dinners, so hopefully I will have less waste.

Sounds like an interesting salad, maybe with a blue cheese dressing. As long as BOGO (buy one, get one??) doesn't mean they're already in blueberry heaven.

Lately I have been finding only large boxes of raspberries, which usually have turned to mush before I finish using them. Blueberries are sturdier.

Lately I have been finding only large boxes of raspberries, which usually have turned to mush before I finish using them. Blueberries are sturdier.

I've been buying raspberries lately and freezing them immediately after rinsing. They then work really well in smoothies, and can be thawed later in smaller batches to eat.

One of the side effects of my new 'work from home' mandate is now I am eating every meal from home. I usually eat lunch from the cafeteria, eat dinner out a couple of times during the week, and again once during the weekend. As such, I'm not doing a great job of once a week grocery shopping and have probably been 'overbuying.'

This morning, I did an inventory of the refrigerator before heading out. I discovered a bag of baby spinach that I had forgotten about buying and I hadn't eaten all of the blueberries I bought last week because they were BOGO. And I didn't use all of the red, yellow, and green peppers. I decided today to try more frozen dinners, so hopefully I will have less waste.

OXO Greensaver containers do a great job prolonging the life of produce. I've kept blueberries for a couple of wees on them and they were fine.

Today, the weekly rural affairs [for city viewers] program did a summary of the situation for grain and pulse growers (partly to contextualise the Chinese imposition of 85% tariffs on Australian barley exports on [ahem] anti-dumping grounds). It's sowing time for winter grain crops right now and it's been a good autumn for rain. Most Western Australian farmers are substituting another crop for their planned barley. The one striking note from the story was retail demand for flour. It covered a smaller organic miller that had seen a 300% increase in demand and had to employ extra staff and run double the number of shifts, and the biggest miller in NSW that had seen a 70% increase and had to go to 24/7 operations. I didn't look for flour last time I was at the shops, but last time I looked there was no bread flour, only the lower protein all purpose (and store brand) types.

Today, the weekly rural affairs [for city viewers] program did a summary of the situation for grain and pulse growers (partly to contextualise the Chinese imposition of 85% tariffs on Australian barley exports on [ahem] anti-dumping grounds). It's sowing time for winter grain crops right now and it's been a good autumn for rain. Most Western Australian farmers are substituting another crop for their planned barley. The one striking note from the story was retail demand for flour. It covered a smaller organic miller that had seen a 300% increase in demand and had to employ extra staff and run double the number of shifts, and the biggest miller in NSW that had seen a 70% increase and had to go to 24/7 operations. I didn't look for flour last time I was at the shops, but last time I looked there was no bread flour, only the lower protein all purpose (and store brand) types.

Flour and yeast has been hard to come by for weeks now. My go-to grocery store had none except corn flour (maize flour in the commonwealth?) so I had to go to a specialty health store and buy artisanal bread and whole wheat flour. A lot more expensive, but at least I am back to having it in the kitchen.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSzvXZQ_B4egoRnw9ORSAnZQ-3o7q0RzBVaD8JvNcGW61pXYDys&usqp=CAU

While in the parking lot at Albertsons I finally came to understand why disinfecting wipes are in such short supply. A couple parked in front of me had two overflowing grocery carts. They were both wearing gloves and masks and were meticulously wiping down each of their items with one disinfecting wipe per grocery item. They had a large paper grocery bag overflowing with discarded wipes. I figure it must have taken them well over an hour to wipe down every item in both carts. God only knows how many wipes they used on their crusade.

The one thing I have learned is that if I want a specific brand of an item I may have to visit more than one store. The cake flour was a perfect example of this.

That is just plain ridiculous, if you don't mind me saying so. I have gotten into the habit of wiping down my groceries as well, when I get home and before I put it away, but going through a container of wipes like this is just wasteful.

source.gif

...I have gotten into the habit of wiping down my groceries as well, when I get home and before I put it away, but going through a container of wipes like this is just wasteful...

If you're going to wipe your groceries, either wipe them before you first touch them, or don't bother. Not as wasteful as the other example, but wiping something after you've touched them (and especially after you drive home, readjust the mask on your face, take the mask off, etc.) is wasteful. Sunlight kills Covid-19 in seconds, so if you're going to wipe them after you get home, you might as well just pull them out individually from the car, expose them to sunlight, then put them back in the bag. And wearing gloves won't help unless you change your gloves after each item (also wasteful). I seem to recall reading the virus can live on glove material for over 24 hours, maybe even longer than on your fingers.

If you're going to wipe your groceries, either wipe them before you first touch them, or don't bother. Not as wasteful as the other example, but wiping something after you've touched them (and especially after you drive home, readjust the mask on your face, take the mask off, etc.) is wasteful. Sunlight kills Covid-19 in seconds, so if you're going to wipe them after you get home, you might as well just pull them out individually from the car, expose them to sunlight, then put them back in the bag. And wearing gloves won't help unless you change your gloves after each item (also wasteful). I seem to recall reading the virus can live on glove material for over 24 hours, maybe even longer than on your fingers.

Oh dear heart, you are so sweet.

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41946538/debunking-covid-19-rumors-does-sunlight-kill-the-coronavirus

I just returned from a shopping trip to my local Albertsons/Vons. What a fucking zoo. They have instituted one way traffic and the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. I mentioned to several customers that they were going against the one-way traffic. Their response was invariably a blank look and a huh as they continued on their merry way.

I took a quick trip to my local supermarket this morning and they discontinued the one way traffic. Not sure why and I really didn’t want to hang around to ask. The one way signs hanging at the end of each aisle were gone along with the directional arrows on the floor. I love the look other shoppers throw at you when you ask to get by them while they’re comparing products standing in the middle of the aisle with their cart. I’m thinking next time I’ll just start violently coughing as I approach them

They were both wearing gloves and masks and were meticulously wiping down each of their items with one disinfecting wipe per grocery item. They had a large paper grocery bag overflowing with discarded wipes. I figure it must have taken them well over an hour to wipe down every item in both carts. God only knows how many wipes they used on their crusade.

I’m all about being cautious, but people like them should just wear hazmat suits and live in plastic bubbles.

8-F3-F1-ED4-8823-4634-BAF6-9-DD623-D72-BCA.jpg

I will take a solution of 5 teaspoons Clorox in a quart of water over a few rays of sunshine any day. ‘cause the EPA said so! This approach also allows for shopping after dark.

The article you quote is talking about how sunlight exposure won't help you once you've contracted Covid-19.

"Professor Lang said once the virus is in our bodies, the sun isn't going to do anything. Your body will have to fight it. "

I think that's pretty obvious. Just like drinking disinfectants is not going to help you either, no matter what Trump says. If you're interested in what actual scientists and scientific studies are saying, maybe you might be interested on the research done at the National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/inside-secret-dhs-lab-testing-how-long-coronavirus-can-survive-n1201386

“What we have found so far is that sunlight seems to be very detrimental to the virus,” Dabisch explained. “And so within minutes, the majority of the virus is inactivated on surfaces and in the air in direct sunlight.”

The article you quote is talking about how sunlight exposure won't help you once you've contracted Covid-19.

"Professor Lang said once the virus is in our bodies, the sun isn't going to do anything. Your body will have to fight it. "

I think that's pretty obvious. Just like drinking disinfectants is not going to help you either, no matter what Trump says. If you're interested in what actual scientists and scientific studies are saying, maybe you might be interested on the research done at the National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/inside-secret-dhs-lab-testing-how-long-coronavirus-can-survive-n1201386

“What we have found so far is that sunlight seems to be very detrimental to the virus,” Dabisch explained. “And so within minutes, the majority of the virus is inactivated on surfaces and in the air in direct sunlight.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/03/30/fact-check-sunlight-does-not-kill-new-coronavirus/2931170001

you seem to have missed the part that says: high intensity UV (or UV-c) can kill the virus on surfaces but is dangerous to human exposure.

Normal UV (UV-a and UV-b) which is what is our sunlight is not strong enough to kill the virus

UV-c can be generated by machine. Pulse UV-c devices are used in hospitals to disinfect operating rooms.

so, exposing groceries to sunlight in a parking lot won’t do a thing.

Edited by PapaTony

so, exposing groceries to sunlight in a parking lot won’t do a thing.

All right, so you simply don't believe the scientist, who's actually studied this, when he says "sunlight seems to be very detrimental to the virus." (That's a direct quote from him)

All right, so you simply don't believe the scientist, who's actually studied this, when he says "sunlight seems to be very detrimental to the virus." (That's a direct quote from him)

Ok I’ll believe that when they move past “preliminary results”. Also a direct quote from your article.

(maize flour in the commonwealth?)

No, cornflour, at least in Australia. You can also buy 'wheaten cornflour' which is a wheat derived flour that has the smoother thickening characteristics of actual cornflour. (But the real thing is better.)

On whether to use a fresh wipe for each grocery item (I hope they wiped the package of wipes), most items on shelves seem to be in the cut-open boxes they were shipped in, so more often than not you will be the only person to have touched your items. Guaranteed? Certainly not, a shelf stacker may have rearranged some items, and another shopper may have picked them up to read the label. Reason for caution, but not for paranoia. Hand hygiene and not touching your face is probably enough, but 'an abundance of caution' has become a catchphrase in this pandemic.

No, cornflour, at least in Australia. You can also buy 'wheaten cornflour' which is a wheat derived flour that has the smoother thickening characteristics of actual cornflour. (But the real thing is better.)

On whether to use a fresh wipe for each grocery item (I hope they wiped the package of wipes), most items on shelves seem to be in the cut-open boxes they were shipped in, so more often than not you will be the only person to have touched your items. Guaranteed? Certainly not, a shelf stacker may have rearranged some items, and another shopper may have picked them up to read the label. Reason for caution, but not for paranoia. Hand hygiene and not touching your face is probably enough, but 'an abundance of caution' has become a catchphrase in this pandemic.

Interesting factoid:

Stocking items on a retail shelf in cut-open boxes is called PDQ Master Packing. It was developed by WalMart to speed up stocking shelves. PDQ stands for “Pretty Dam Quick.”

More about what you do after you've done the shopping than the shopping itself, but that's close enough! Heard this guy on a serious radio program this morning. He's a comedian who has a tour of the country planned from March, and when that fell through he started doing cooking videos. This one is for Australia's 'national dish', spaghetti bolognese. Everyone in the country makes it and there are about as many different recipes as there are cooks in the country. I'm sure some of you will take issue with his recipe (and it's pretty much what I use), but it's about the presentation! Oh, and *Language Warning*.

Edited by mike carey

More about what you do after you've done the shopping than the shopping itself, but that's close enough! Heard this guy on a serious radio program this morning. He's a comedian who has a tour of the country planned from March, and when that fell through he started doing cooking videos. This one is for Australia's 'national dish', spaghetti bolognese. Everyone in the country makes it and there are about as many different recipes as there are cooks in the country. I'm sure some of you will take issue with his recipe (and it's pretty much what I use), but it's about the presentation! Oh, and *Language Warning*.

… with a bit of zucchini