Pandemic preparation? ?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1508 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm doing nothing out of the ordinary. This whole this is ridiculous. More people die from the flu but you dont see mass hysteria. Quit coughing and sneezing into your hands, Asians and Europe I'm looking at your dirty selves, say the ABC's while washing your hands in between your fingers and under your finger nails and quit licking random door knobs. What the cdc is telling you to do know is nothing different than the cold or flu. Quit freaking the fuck out. Times like this just reinforces my thoughts on how stupid people are. If this hurt your feels oh well ?‍♂️

Hugs,

Greg

The difference between this new coronavirus and the annual flu is that the percentage of people infected who need immediate hospitalization and even ICU is much, much higher. Italy had just a couple of hundred cases two weeks ago, and now the entire Lombardy region's healthcare system has collapsed. Patients are being left in hallways or outright turned away because hospitals are beyond capacity. Doctors & nurses are working around the clock until they drop, sometimes literally.

No, coronavirus is not an automatic death sentence. That kind of hysteria is not helpful. But it's not the annual flu either. It's more serious than that, and I fear our hospital system will soon be overwhelmed.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Hanks and his wife have contacted the coronavirus. They were tested in Australia.
They are fortunate this happened to them in Australia rather than the US. I'm not sure about the availability of testing Down Under but I'm sure its higher than here. As a comparison, South Korea has tested 2000 per million of its population. We have tested 5 per million.

Not sure how a buffet is any more dangerous than any other restaurant. I wonder if the Detroit MGM buffet is shut down as well. That's the only MGM buffet I go to and I haven't been to that one in a few years.

I received an email from Caesars yesterday about the changes they are making and if their employees go to one of the areas they are recommending to avoid they aren't allowed to work for three weeks after they return home from vacation to be sure they aren't infected.

One of the reporters for our local paper just happens to be on a vacation cruise in the Pacific right now. She sent an article to the paper about changes to the cruise routine during the past couple of days, one of which is that the ship has stopped letting the passengers use the buffet. All food has to be served to the passengers at their tables by a staff member wearing gloves.

They are fortunate this happened to them in Australia rather than the US. I'm not sure about the availability of testing Down Under but I'm sure its higher than here. As a comparison, South Korea has tested 2000 per million of its population. We have tested 5 per million.

More than the US but far less than South Korea. The eligibility bar is relatively high, but testing is being ramped up. The public health system is now allowing payment for phone and Skype consultation to help triage patients, and funding for pathology tests simplified. The government is providing funding for pop-up clinics to help separate respiratory patients from other. Hanks and his wife are in the Gold Coast University Hospital.

Edited by mike carey

Australia has drive-in testing stations

Australia has drive-in testing stations

This is the drive thru that I've used whilst in Oz:

http://sv-doodlebug.com/Pics2013/drive_thru_liquor.jpg

I'm leaving on Saturday, March 21st for Puerto Vallarta and will return on Saturday, March 28th. Three months I paid $522 for the round trip fare and was pleased with the price. Today I could buy a ticket on the same flights for $267. Who would ever have guessed?

There are no change fees, so change and buy a second ticket somewhere.

Just had lunch at an very upscale steak house in my area and the place was full. According to the manager business is as good as ever, however, they are taking some additional cleaning precautions.

I'm just waiting for the idiots in Sacramento to close down all restaurants and airports. Nearly all of our state legislators are in a state of total irrational panic and are being led brilliantly by our dump shit governor.

I'm just waiting for the idiots in Sacramento to close down all restaurants and airports. Nearly all of our state legislators are in a state of total irrational panic and are being led brilliantly by our dump shit governor.

I agree, @Epigonos. Trying to get a clear picture of what is going on is difficult out here. One hears rumors and tries to check them out and it becomes evident how fragmented the media are, and how almost uselessly formulaic and repetitive the local tv news outlets are. The LA Times' coverage is focused, oddly enough, on LA, which leaves a lot of the rest of us out on the edge.

If anyone out here knows of semi-definitive independent sources, let me know. I'm thinking about Big Sur Kate's blog during the slides that closed Highway 1. She was terrific - always on top of it. https://bigsurkate.blog/

It would be nice to have an independent but unimpeachable news/information source for Southern California.

Edited by BgMstr4u

Just had lunch at an very upscale steak house in my area and the place was full. According to the manager business is as good as ever, however, they are taking some additional cleaning precautions.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It's their substitute for achievement.”

Sir Humphrey Appleby, Yes Prime Minister

There's a COAG meeting in Sydney today (council of Australian governments, a meeting of the PM and state and territory premiers and chief ministers, similar to Canadian first ministers' meetings) to discuss the pandemic. The Chief Medical Officer has advised them that they should cancel public gatherings of over 500 people. The Australian F1 grand prix had been cancelled this morning when crowds were queuing to enter practice sessions, and Cricket Australia had announced that a three game series against New Zealand will be played behind closed doors. As late as this morning the PM had been saying he was going to attend a National Rugby League gme this weekend. It's the first weekend of the new season.

There's a COAG meeting in Sydney today (council of Australian governments, a meeting of the PM and state and territory premiers and chief ministers, similar to Canadian first ministers' meetings) to discuss the pandemic. The Chief Medical Officer has advised them that they should cancel public gatherings of over 500 people. The Australian F1 grand prix had been cancelled this morning when crowds were queuing to enter practice sessions, and Cricket Australia had announced that a three game series against New Zealand will be played behind closed doors. As late as this morning the PM had been saying he was going to attend a National Rugby League gme this weekend. It's the first weekend of the new season.

The Canadian First Ministers meeting, scheduled to start tomorrow, has been canceled. Trudeau and his wife are self-isolating because Sophie Gregoire has tested positive for COVID 19.

https://ipolitics.ca/2020/03/12/first-ministers-meeting-postponed-trudeau-in-self-isolation-while-wife-sophie-awaits-covid-19-test-results/