Cottage Cheese Industry

BenjaminNicholas
This topic is 1533 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of cottage cheese with fresh fruit for dessert instead of something with tons of sugar. There are nutrition professionals that argue for full fat cottage cheese and I think their arguments have merit. But I can't quite get myself to go full fat, so I compromise and buy 2%.

asian curse = lactic intolerance

Know it well. My asian partner barely tolerates my 5 cheese instant cardiac arrest lasagna which includes ricotta not cottage cheese.

https://greenvalleylactosefree.com/product/lactose-free-cottage-cheese

It‘s a luxury item for me. $6.29 for a 12 ounce container at my local store.

I like to eat it with fresh pears lightly sprinkled with pepper.

Edited by bashful

I am more of the full fat camp. And really almost any fruit and of any type (fresh or canned). But my other fetish is cracked black pepper.

Agreed, plain though with just freshly ground pepper and melba toast. 1% or at most 2% for waistline:)

Yew. No. It has no place in anything Italian.

In light of my previous comment about cottage cheese, you can imagine how I feel about it in lasagna. But even ricotta (which I don't mind as much) doesn't belong in lasagna, IMO. I much prefer a bechamel layer. Crapfest! Now I have a ferocious lasagna craving. Not exactly diet food ?

In light of my previous comment about cottage cheese, you can imagine how I feel about it in lasagna. But even ricotta (which I don't mind as much) doesn't belong in lasagna, IMO. I much prefer a bechamel layer. Crapfest! Now I have a ferocious lasagna craving. Not exactly diet food ?

The famed Ed Giobbi recipe mixes the ricotta with eggs pecorino romano cheese and dried parsley. The béchamel type sauce (with a touch of nutmeg) is added to the homemade marinara sauce. I used to be able to buy 5l lb rolls of frozen spinach lasagna in NYC. In remote TX I’m reduced to using 2 expensive packages of dried spinach lasagna. But it’s worth it. The Ed Giobbi recipe Is too long for posting here but is readily Googled (if only I knew how to post the link using this iPhone).

ps. I readily disclose my caffeine consumption but have never told my cardiologist about my craving for this lasagna.

Ricotta cheese is used in recipes that come from Italian areas starting in the north and then going to south. The recipes that I have had from the north follow the typical pattern where the dishes have more a milk based topping, such as an Alfredo. The southern recipes typically use a tomato based topping, such as what we think of as lasagna. Then of course ricotta is used is a tremendous amount of desserts, such as cheesecake and cookies. The desserts are typically not too sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
Any crazy runs on cottage cheese in your area with the COVID19 inspired panic buying?

The other night at the store I thought about the cottage cheese thread and looked in the dairy case. After we have exhausted the toilet paper, milk, and egg supply there will be plenty of cottage cheese to go around.