Do you feel safe on your local subway system?

This topic is 1582 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I was in LA last week, I saw a story on the news that thieves were actually coming from SF to Los Angeles to break into cars. It also made me think of how uncomfortable I often feel in San Francisco in general, and on BART (our regional subway system) in particular. I do take BART, not for commuting, but when going to the airport or downtown, and I often run across characters who make me feel uncomfortable. There are the crazy people screaming, the semi-naked people, the beggars, people sleeping on the trains, and so on. I can't think of any other transit system I've been on which makes me feel more uncomfortable, such as NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. Certainly lots of local news of criminal problems on BART. The local news has also reported certain organizations cancelling annual meetings in SF due to safety concerns, needles on the streets, aggressive panhandlers, etc. Maybe it's just me? How safe do you feel on your local transit system?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can certainly expect to see your fair share of weird on the NYC subway. There is some panhandling going on but most folks ignore it. Also a fair number of homeless sleeping on the train in the mornings. Have never felt unsafe and it operates 24hrs. Not very clean though - Tokyo’s subway is remarkably clean and we need that level of service and reliability in NYC!

DC’s subway is more modern. I also like the layout of the subway cars - their seating plan is two-seater as opposed to NYC’s long benches. Also limits homeless sleeping on the train, no place to lie down comfortably. Always felt pretty safe too.

Have found Philadelphia’s subway to suffer from some of the same issues as NYC - it is also a pretty ‘old’ system.

I have used the NYC Subway since 1969 and have never felt unsafe or have had an incident. However I have seen pickpockets and once an attempted rape. Most people are quite outspoken and will say something. I mind my own business but will help anyone in need.

I take the train in London..mostly the Northern line and Picadilly line. The police are very much seen and patrol cars by waking through the train. Crowd control is a problem so I will wait for the crowds to thin and will take the next train. The escalators are often too crowded.. However an online app always tells the best way to go.

When I was in LA last week, I saw a story on the news that thieves were actually coming from SF to Los Angeles to break into cars. It also made me think of how uncomfortable I often feel in San Francisco in general, and on BART (our regional subway system) in particular. I do take BART, not for commuting, but when going to the airport or downtown, and I often run across characters who make me feel uncomfortable. There are the crazy people screaming, the semi-naked people, the beggars, people sleeping on the trains, and so on. I can't think of any other transit system I've been on which makes me feel more uncomfortable, such as NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. Certainly lots of local news of criminal problems on BART. The local news has also reported certain organizations cancelling annual meetings in SF due to safety concerns, needles on the streets, aggressive panhandlers, etc. Maybe it's just me? How safe do you feel on your local transit system?

I feel completely safe on our system. Partly because I'm an able bodied white male, and partly because we have an extensive 24/7 homeless shelter system which provides meals and supports, so there are fewer desperate people around doing desperate things that, mostly they wouldn't do, if they weren't in such desperate situations.

I feel completely safe on our system. Partly because I'm an able bodied white male, and partly because we have an extensive 24/7 homeless shelter system which provides meals and supports, so there are fewer desperate people around doing desperate things that, mostly they wouldn't do, if they weren't in such desperate situations.

But you Canadians don't have the constitutional right if mentally ill to stay out in the streets if you want 24/7 drinking and doing drugs. Being crazy's a constitutional right in the US; look at our leaders.

Edited by tassojunior

You can certainly expect to see your fair share of weird on the NYC subway. There is some panhandling going on but most folks ignore it. Also a fair number of homeless sleeping on the train in the mornings. Have never felt unsafe and it operates 24hrs. Not very clean though - Tokyo’s subway is remarkably clean and we need that level of service and reliability in NYC!

DC’s subway is more modern. I also like the layout of the subway cars - their seating plan is two-seater as opposed to NYC’s long benches. Also limits homeless sleeping on the train, no place to lie down comfortably. Always felt pretty safe too.

Have found Philadelphia’s subway to suffer from some of the same issues as NYC - it is also a pretty ‘old’ system.

On the flip side of Bill Cosby’s Noah record is his routine about the NYC subway that concludes with the line “Ah yes. The NYC subway: there’s a new act in every car!”

Yes we do need Japanese level of service and reliability but that is most likely due to the culture and mentality of the Japanese people then Americans. You dont see people lining up to get into trains just pushing to get into train and holding doors in NYC also no homeless on Japanese trains or people throwing trash on the tracks. We also need turnstiles that you cant fair evade also.

Never felt afraid taking the NYC subway just usually disgusted by how gross it can be.

But you Canadians don't have the constitutional right if mentally ill to stay out in the streets if you want 24/7 drinking and doing drugs. Being crazy's a constitutional right in the US; look at our leaders.

Commitment requires two physicians to agree you are either a danger to yourself or to others.

Wish we could make that work in the US. Here only allowed to force people into shelters on nights when it's deadly freezing. Often forces them to move to CA and FL.

It's part of the reason in a country like the USA that homeless programs needs to national. It would also help your commute.

I feel VERY safe in NYC, yet always remain ALERT, aware and cautious.

Pretty much this for NYC. Always feel safe but I'm always alert and smart. I just make sure to never fall asleep when I'm using it. And I take the train often at 3,4,5am.

Montreal's system I feel fine and the same for Toronto. Toronto's system has had some random incidents lately (slashings etc) and as the city is experiencing a homeless crisis I'm noticing homeless people sleeping on the trains and moving around the system asking for change. Never saw that 4-5 years ago.

Commitment requires two physicians to agree you are either a danger to yourself or to others.

It varies from state to state, but in California only one physician is needed to be involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric facility. But that can only be for 72 hours, and the minute the person is not an imminent threat, he's released, even if it's unlikely the patient will adhere to the psychiatric medication. Beyond 72 hours requires a judge, but, again, it's very rare for someone to be committed to a psychiatric facility for more than a few days. Once they're stable, they get kicked out in the street until they do something bad. It's terrible the way we treat our mentally ill. Once a person demonstrates repeatedly that he can't take care of himself, especially if the patient exhibits dangerous behavior (to himself or others), there should be pleasant long-term care facilities where they should need to stay. They should be well-regulated to make sure there are no facilities like the one portrayed in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (no Nurse Ratchett's).

I used to take the L late at night w/o probelm. I have no qualms about the DC Metro and regularly take the Subway in NYC. I’ve been on BART quite a few times w/o issue. I used to take MARTA late at night from 5he airport when I lived in Atlanta—- ever a problem although it seemed to scare a lot of other people. Really, I’m more concerned driving the Beltway or the Perimeter than taking public transit. I saw some spectacular accidents on Atlanta’s freeways and just missed them. That’s where you should be paranoid—-lousy drivers on poorly engineered highways.

Being a lifelong Detroiter, what is this subway/public transit you speak of? I know it's different in other cities, but in the Motor City, there's no real effective transit, despite years of lobbying to change that. The majority of people who use buses are those who've had their drivers license revoked or just can't afford a car.

In NYC I feel safe on the subway...but I’m not stupid.

Armani suit and Rolex at 2am?....private car 100%

Jeans and a T-shirt before midnight?...subway 100%

As always the devil is in the details in between the extremes, but yes I feel very safe in NYC.

A lot of the west coasts subway problems have to do with how lenient they are with the mentally ill. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest was severely detrimental to mental heath in America and has harmed a massive percentage of the mentally ill living here. NYC didn’t swallow the koolaide as much as SF, and therein lies the difference.