Do any of you look for pianos in restaurants?

This topic is 1651 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Decidedly Off-Topic, but I can't resist piping up (if you'll forgive the intended pun ref. below):

I only eat at restaurants that have Steinways.

German Steinways.

But you really prefer a Bösendorfer don’t you @Benjamin_Nicholas. Although if Bösendorfer is now owned by Yamaha.

I suspect that Mr @Benjamin_Nicholas knows what he's talking about when stating his preference for Steinways. Bösendorfer and Yamaha are the other top tier grand pianos, but I'm with Benjamin in preferring a Steinway. Regarding German vs NY Steinway, I think my preference would be NY...

@g56whiz - Corporate ownership does not necessarily mean interference in manufacturing practices. Sometimes it is partially investing and partially for joint marketing and distribution. Buffet-Crampon has bought ownership of Powell flutes, Rigotaut oboes and Laubin oboes, and has stated it intends to leave the decision making about manufacturing and design to those subsidiaries.

@SundayZip - Every pianist that I know that has tried a Fazioli has just loved it ... however, they only make 140 a year. My ex (who plays both jazz and classical piano well, and eventually earned a DMA 3/4 of the way through a tech career), prefers NY Steinways over German due to what he considers more warmth in the sound, although, he too would absolutely love to have a Fazioli, even the mere 6' one. (He bought a Mason & Hamlin BB in the early 2000s).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 80s, luxury hotels decided to monetize their lobbies by putting in "lobby lounges," often with live music. I thought it was very pleasant to sit in the lobby lounge of a nice hotel and listen to good piano music over drinks. I don't like restaurants with live music. It's nearly always too loud. My husband doesn't like it either. If we go in a restaurant and they have live music, we don't even stay.

Nordstrom has people playing the piano during business hours. I find that very enjoyable.

@g56whiz - Corporate ownership does not necessarily mean interference in manufacturing practices. Sometimes it is partially investing and partially for joint marketing and distribution. Buffet-Crampon has bought ownership of Powell flutes, Rigotaut oboes and Laubin oboes, and has stated it intends to leave the decision making about manufacturing and design to those subsidiaries.

Well I know. As a NYC banker, Indiana was my territory. In that territory was Baldwin Piano that then owned Bösendorfer. Fast forward and Baldwin is now owned by Gibson, the guitar folks.

I’m not a fan of live piano music either with one exception...the Highland Park cafeteria at Casa Linda shopping area in Dallas. :D

An ambience befitting of the geriatric crowd, barely tolerable cafeteria cuisine and an old geezer tapping out Sound in the Clowns on an out-of-tune piano with a glass bowl tip jar sitting on top begging for an eighty year old to drop in a $1.00 tip. Aahhhhh! Life doesn’t get much better than that.

Nordstrom has people playing the piano during business hours. I find that very enjoyable.

I agree. I enjoy the piano playing at Nordstrom's--but not at a restaurant, where presumably you're trying to enjoy the conversation with the people you're with.

When I lived in Denver in the early 70s, one of the gay bars had an organist. He was one of those typical lounge organists popular in the 50s and 60s. Even in the early 70s he was a bit anachronistic. The thing was, nobody liked him. They hated his music. When he went on a break, people would rush to stuff the juke box with quarters so they could play some disco that they could dance to. But he was determined to play no matter how much people hated it. When he came back off break, he would always pull the plug on the juke box to silence it. It was really pretty amusing.

Near where I live there is a cafe/tea room that is covered but not enclosed & surrounded by beautiful gardens & duck pond. They have a piano in a pergola in the garden and a guy who plays beautifully.

Not truly a restaurant in the sense that the OP referred to, but a magical experience on a sunny day.

Sounds like the Tea House on Los Rios in SJC

I used to enjoy the Victor Cafe in South Philly, where they played old opera recordings made at the RCA Victor recording studio in Camden in the 1920s. Several of the waiters also liked to sing along, with variable results. WilliamM might know if it is still operating.

My father told me that Mario Lanza occasionally sang there.

I'm guessing that their Steinway is New York, not German. I'd be so disappointed if we had to turn around and leave. :(

Actually, there is no Germany made Steinway piano. The name Steinway is an American way of saying Steinweg. The "weg" is a German word that means "way" - All Steinway pianos are made in the U.S.

To make a long story short, the German citizen, Heinrich Steinweg, changed his name to Henry Steinway when he moved to America to manufacture pianos. He manufactured the same fine quality piano he formerly manufactured in Germany. Instead of calling the piano a Steinweg (his original name), he called the American made piano Steinway (for his changed American name).

My relatives who live in Germany have a Steinweg piano. I have the privilege of playing it when I visit there. In the U.S., I own a Steinway. Both pianos sound pretty much alike.

I know this is probably boring to most readers. But, someone did bring up a German Steinway, that does not exist.

Edited by coriolis888