Random random

loremipsum

I've always understood the phrase to be Chief, Cook, and Bottle Washer (three jobs, not two), meaning the person not only ran the show (Chief), but they also did all the essential jobs (Cook), as well as all the menial jobs (Bottle Washer). This would line up with the idiomatic meaning of the phrase.

In other words, writing it as Chief Cook and Bottle Washer means they do the essential and menial jobs but someone else was in charge of the whole operation...

I've always understood the phrase to be Chief, Cook, and Bottle Washer (three jobs, not two), meaning the person not only ran the show (Chief), but they also did all the essential jobs (Cook), as well as all the menial jobs (Bottle Washer). This would line up with the idiomatic meaning of the phrase.

In other words, writing it as Chief Cook and Bottle Washer means they do the essential and menial jobs but someone else was in charge of the whole operation...

Interesting, I've always understood it to mean that you had to do everything, that is you were not only in charge, but also had to do all the other jobs. I haven't done a thorough search but can only find citations for the latter meaning.

Interesting, I've always understood it to mean that you had to do everything, that is you were not only in charge, but also had to do all the other jobs. I haven't done a thorough search but can only find citations for the latter meaning.

I should have been more clear. You are entirely correct that the idiomatic meaning of the phrase is the same, regardless how it is written. I should have said the literal meaning of the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer diverges from what people mean when they say it.

• 2 weeks later...

Expatriate Australian writer, poet and broadcaster Clive James has died in England at 80. He was diagnosed with leukaemia about 10 years ago. He has spent the years since then reflecting on his life and death. His 2014 poem is one poignant meditation on his impending death.

'Japanese Maple’

Your death, near now, is of an easy sort.

So slow a fading out brings no real pain.

Breath growing short

Is just uncomfortable. You feel the drain

Of energy, but thought and sight remain:

Enhanced, in fact. When did you ever see

So much sweet beauty as when fine rain falls

On that small tree

And saturates your brick back garden walls,

So many Amber Rooms and mirror halls?

Ever more lavish as the dusk descends

This glistening illuminates the air.

It never ends.

Whenever the rain comes it will be there,

Beyond my time, but now I take my share.

My daughter’s choice, the maple tree is new.

Come autumn and its leaves will turn to flame.

What I must do

Is live to see that. That will end the game

For me, though life continues all the same:

Filling the double doors to bathe my eyes,

A final flood of colours will live on

As my mind dies,

Burned by my vision of a world that shone

So brightly at the last, and then was gone.

He had been a literary critic at The Observer and in that capacity he wrote of a biography of Brezhnev:

On Brezhnev - A Short Biography: "Here is a book so dull that a whirling dervish could read himself to sleep with it. If you were to recite even a single page in the open air, birds would fall out of the sky and dogs drop dead."

Expatriate Australian writer, poet and broadcaster Clive James has died in England at 80. He was diagnosed with leukaemia about 10 years ago. He has spent the years since then reflecting on his life and death. His 2014 poem is one poignant meditation on his impending death.

'Japanese Maple’

Your death, near now, is of an easy sort.

So slow a fading out brings no real pain.

Breath growing short

Is just uncomfortable. You feel the drain

Of energy, but thought and sight remain:

Enhanced, in fact. When did you ever see

So much sweet beauty as when fine rain falls

On that small tree

And saturates your brick back garden walls,

So many Amber Rooms and mirror halls?

Ever more lavish as the dusk descends

This glistening illuminates the air.

It never ends.

Whenever the rain comes it will be there,

Beyond my time, but now I take my share.

My daughter’s choice, the maple tree is new.

Come autumn and its leaves will turn to flame.

What I must do

Is live to see that. That will end the game

For me, though life continues all the same:

Filling the double doors to bathe my eyes,

A final flood of colours will live on

As my mind dies,

Burned by my vision of a world that shone

So brightly at the last, and then was gone.

He had been a literary critic at The Observer and in that capacity he wrote of a biography of Brezhnev:

On Brezhnev - A Short Biography: "Here is a book so dull that a whirling dervish could read himself to sleep with it. If you were to recite even a single page in the open air, birds would fall out of the sky and dogs drop dead."

This reminds me of Leonard Nimoy's final tweet: "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP."

LLAP is "Live Long and Prosper", a Vulcan phrase that Nimoy signed most of his tweets with.