Random random

loremipsum

Speaking of new life: A (straight, if it matters) friend of mine, visiting from London and struggling to make it in the States, once considered donating sperm for cash. I was like “are you sure” and he was like “why not, that’s what I’m supposed to do, spread my seed”

I suppose that’s right from an evolutionary-biological/Darwinian perspective, but I’ve always thought I would never want offspring out there of whom I don’t know the existence.

Edited by loremipsum

Speaking of new life: A (straight, if it matters) friend of mine, visiting from London and struggling to make it in the States, once considered donating sperm for cash. I was like “are you sure” and he was like “why not, that’s what I’m supposed to do, spread my seed”

I suppose that’s right from an evolutionary-biological/Darwinian perspective, but I’ve always thought I would never want offspring out there of whom I don’t know the existence.

As long as they never find me, I couldn't care less. Lol

Actually the line was spoken by Miss Prissy (Butterfly McQueen): "Oh, Miss Scarlett, I don't know nothin' bout birthing babies."

She says that about ten minutes later. First Scarlett is speaking to a doctor who adjures her to deliver Melanie’s baby, and she says she doesn't know how. Prissy comes forward claiming to have experienced knowledge about the procedure, having helped deliver babies many times before. We then find out that she was lying (when she says the quote you noted) and Scarlett slaps her.

Amy Winehouse recorded a full second album and submitted it to her label but it was rejected. I remember reading that her dad ‘deleted it’ but I’m sure the label has a copy of the record, or it’s been emailed around. I wonder if it’ll ever be released?

Amy Winehouse recorded a full second album and submitted it to her label but it was rejected. I remember reading that her dad ‘deleted it’ but I’m sure the label has a copy of the record, or it’s been emailed around. I wonder if it’ll ever be released?

Speaking of fathers and their daughters’ work: I wonder sometimes about The Diary of Anne Frank. Otto Frank, Anne’s father, published it after she died. Some speculate that much of it was fabricated. I myself have trouble finding credible a quote she purportedly composed herself in her diary: “In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.” Perhaps I’m just jaded.

I took two classes on the Holocaust. In one of them each member of the class had to do a brief presentation on one Holocaust diary (dozens of them are extant — Anne Frank was not the only Jew who kept one). My particular one was written by a twelve-year-old boy. He lived with his parents and the three swore that when the police came to call, rather than be taken away, they would all immediately ingest cyanide tablets that the father had procured, in the interest of leaving this world on their own terms. The police eventually did come to their home, and the boy took a cyanide tablet immediately as his parents had earlier instructed him to do, as they had all agreed to do. His last words reportedly were: “Daddy, the cyani—“ and then he dropped dead. The police officials were so horrified by this that they just left. The parents survived the Holocaust and had another child. It really annoyed me. I felt great disdain for those parents. What the hell?

Side note: He and his parents lived in a “ghetto.” Until those classes I don’t think I was aware of the term originally referring to living quarters for Jews during the Holocaust.

Side note: He and his parents lived in a “ghetto.” Until those classes I don’t think I was aware of the term originally referring to living quarters for Jews during the Holocaust.

The term predates the holocaust. Wikipaedia has this to say about it (since I don't have access to the OED):

The term was originally used for the Venetian Ghetto in Venice, Italy, as early as 1516, to describe the part of the city where Jews were restricted to live and thus segregated from other peoples. However, early societies may have formed their own versions of the same structure; words resembling "ghetto" in meaning appear in Hebrew, Yiddish, Italian, Germanic, Old French, and Latin.

I used to belong to a teen forums site akin to this one (much different content, of course). As teens, we discussed frivolous thoughts and related anecdotes whenever they stomped through our brain through the medium of a “Random” thread. As an adult, I feel the same inclination, however, and Facebook isn’t exactly a diary — though some people certainly regard it so and act as such, which is fine — I just thought it might behoove the community to have a thread similar to the one to which I used to be privy.

So... Let the randomosity commence!

We used to have a poster for that, his name was @Avalon

So true. Poor Avalon, he was too physically limited to leave his apartment. Avalon was just lonely because he had few family members left.

Yes that's true but was no excuse for things like "Do blacks in Jamaica blame slavery for all their problems like some do on here?".

Sometimes political incorrectness is a way to feel powerful just by typing and pissing off others.

That also applies to some conservatives on here.

Speaking of fathers and their daughters’ work: I wonder sometimes about The Diary of Anne Frank. Otto Frank, Anne’s father, published it after she died. Some speculate that much of it was fabricated. I myself have trouble finding credible a quote she purportedly composed herself in her diary: “In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.” Perhaps I’m just jaded.

I took two classes on the Holocaust. In one of them each member of the class had to do a brief presentation on one Holocaust diary (dozens of them are extant — Anne Frank was not the only Jew who kept one). My particular one was written by a twelve-year-old boy. He lived with his parents and the three swore that when the police came to call, rather than be taken away, they would all immediately ingest cyanide tablets that the father had procured, in the interest of leaving this world on their own terms. The police eventually did come to their home, and the boy took a cyanide tablet immediately as his parents had earlier instructed him to do, as they had all agreed to do. His last words reportedly were: “Daddy, the cyani—“ and then he dropped dead. The police officials were so horrified by this that they just left. The parents survived the Holocaust and had another child. It really annoyed me. I felt great disdain for those parents. What the hell?

Did the parents have time to deal with the police and their son's death?

Yes that's true but was no excuse for things like "Do blacks in Jamaica blame slavery for all their problems like some do on here?".

Sometimes political incorrectness is a way to feel powerful just by typing and pissing off others.

That also applies to some conservatives on here.

When Avalon was posting here and later at the other site, he was never able to venture outside. He now posts occasionally from a nursing home.