Once there was Mark Wahlberg and now....

bigjoey
This topic is 1701 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The median size of women in the U.S. is between 16 and 18. They’d be fools to ignore that market.

That is an absolutely shocking statistic. Obesity-justifying has led to 120 million Americans to be pre-diabetes or full scale diabetes. Severely crippling he health care system. Check the CDC statistics please,

Being obese is NOT OK.

That is an absolutely shocking statistic. Obesity-justifying has led to 120 million Americans to be pre-diabetes or full scale diabetes. Severely crippling he health care system. Check the CDC statistics please,

Being obese is NOT OK.

She's just saying they are going for a market that exists. Most companies do that.

Being obese is NOT OK.

Thank you!

“Ask not what your country can do for you, ask her what you can do for your country” JFK

I would will tell that to many Trumpanzees.

This reminds me of when Halston decided to partner with JC Penny on a mass market line of clothing. Halston was in financial trouble at the time. This was supposed to rescue the brand. It turned into a disaster. High end stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman immediately dropped his couture line. The department store I worked also stopped carrying the Halston brand. No upscale retailers wanted to be associated with JC Penny.

It was a different time in the 1980s when Halston made this move. Today every designer has a “down market” mass merchandise line. This has gotten so out of hand it’s ridiculous to an extent. From outlet stores to Walmart there’s some designer label available.

This means Calvin Klein is either ahead of the trend or about to destroy what little cache the brand has left. I wonder if the marketing team has thought this out entirely? Does CK mind becoming known as a brand for “plus size women”?

Being obese is NOT OK.

Bill Maher made this his big Friday night speech this week, how obesity is a huge problem, and costs America a lot. What he doesn't get is shaming people doesn't really work and only goes to show other people one's own flaw, being an asshole, just like Maher is.

I have an obese friend. His health is affected by it. I worry about it sometimes, yet I know there are few things one can do to help him reduce. I'd miss him if something drastic happens. He's a sweet guy and I love spending time with him

Bill Maher made this his big Friday night speech this week, how obesity is a huge problem, and costs America a lot. What he doesn't get is shaming people doesn't really work and only goes to show other people one's own flaw, being an asshole, just like Maher is.

I have an obese friend. His health is affected by it. I worry about it sometimes, yet I know there are few things one can do to help him reduce. I'd miss him if something drastic happens. He's a sweet guy and I love spending time with him

I agree that fat-shaming fails to get people to lose weight. Speaking from my own experience as a fat guy, I can tell you that fat-shaming never got me to lose a single ounce. All it did was make me sad & depressed, which if anything caused me to overeat even more.

On the flip side, I also think that the fat acceptance movement is doing incredible harm. For far too long, I bought into the "fat but fit" myth. Sure I ate a lot, but I also exercised like crazy. For many years I got away with it, until my knees gave out and my blood pressure skyrocketed.

I have recently lost weight, down 80 pounds from my heaviest. I have another ~60 pounds to go. It's really hard because I've hit the mother of all plateaus. But I know I have to lose the weight because it's just a matter of time before I die prematurely of a stroke or heart attack, or develop diabetes. My best friend recently died of a heart attack, undoubtedly precipitated by his obesity & diabetes. He was only 47. As much as I loved my friend, I don't want to join him any time soon.

I agree that fat-shaming fails to get people to lose weight. Speaking from my own experience as a fat guy, I can tell you that fat-shaming never got me to lose a single ounce. All it did was make me sad & depressed, which if anything caused me to overeat even more...

I honestly don't know what people mean by "fat-shaming." Does this mean that if someone expresses concern about your weight that your response is "I'll show you--I'll overeat even more!"? If not, can you be more specific about what "fat-shaming" refers to? Can you give an example of something someone may have said that "caused you to overeat even more"?

I honestly don't know what people mean by "fat-shaming." Does this mean that if someone expresses concern about your weight that your response is "I'll show you--I'll overeat even more!"? If not, can you be more specific about what "fat-shaming" refers to? Can you give an example of something someone may have said that "caused you to overeat even more"?

An example of fat-shaming is a co-worker who used to make nasty jokes about my obesity. When I told her to cut it out, she just continued to make jokes behind my back. Another example, in my opinion, was a family member who told me I needed to lose weight in front of everyone at a large family gathering. Had he talked to me privately, that would be a show of concern. But making a spectacle of it in front of my entire family was just humiliating. I later found out that humiliation was his goal, thinking that such humiliation would motivate me to lose weight. No, it didn't, but it sure as hell changed our relationship.

Honestly, the only thing that got me to lose weight was that my knees gave out. I had deluded myself for years that I could be healthy even if obese. Anyone who has suffered serious knee problems can tell you how much bad knees can damage your quality of life. Only when I was suffering from horrible pain did I cut through the denial and acknowledge that "fat but fit" is total bullsh*t.

Mind you, I maintained my "fat but fit" delusions long before today's fat acceptance movement. "Big & beautiful" or "healthy at any size" are all over social media, and I cringe when I think of how many people are buying into the lie.

An example of fat-shaming is a co-worker who used to make nasty jokes about my obesity. When I told her to cut it out, she just continued to make jokes behind my back. Another example, in my opinion, was a family member who told me I needed to lose weight in front of everyone at a large family gathering...

Oh, yes, I agree about that, especially about the family member since he intentionally humiliated you. Thanks for clarifying. Regarding the co-worker who made jokes about you behind your back, a certain amount of blame goes to whoever relayed those jokes back to you. One would have to wonder about that person's motivations. But, yes, those jokes are probably not appropriate. Not on the same level as calling you out in a family gathering, though. Thanks for clarifying.

Oh, yes, I agree about that, especially about the family member since he intentionally humiliated you. Thanks for clarifying. Regarding the co-worker who made jokes about you behind your back, a certain amount of blame goes to whoever relayed those jokes back to you. One would have to wonder about that person's motivations. But, yes, those jokes are probably not appropriate. Not on the same level as calling you out in a family gathering, though. Thanks for clarifying.

Not following your logic there. Are you saying it would have been better to have his work mates talking behind his back without being told about them? Wrong is wrong, whether it was to @BSR 's face or behind his back. That's a distinction with no difference in terms of hurtful behavior (in my opinion).

Edited by RealAvalon

Not following your logic there. Are you saying it would have been better to have the behind the back jokes happening without being told about them? Wrong is wrong, whether it was to @BSR 's face or behind his back. That's a distinction with no difference in terms of hurtful behavior (in my opinion).

Really? You don't see the difference between calling someone out in front of the whole family, versus a joke said in private? It wouldn't surprise me too much to learn that there was at least one person who made a joke about my sexuality behind my back. I would resent the person who made the joke, but if this person had instead called me a faggot at a staff meeting where I worked, that would have been on a whole other level. I'm not saying either is right, but they're not in the same degree of wrongfulness.

I remember standing in Times Square and just in awe at the huge size Mark Wahlberg in his Calvin Klein’s. Now, it seems that the company is taking a different route.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/31/calvin-klein-is-using-plus-size-models-to-reinvent-its-brand/

She looks like most Americans... I guess they're trying to appeal to most buyers. It's their business and they'll find out if they are right or wrong.

An example of fat-shaming is a co-worker who used to make nasty jokes about my obesity. When I told her to cut it out, she just continued to make jokes behind my back. Another example, in my opinion, was a family member who told me I needed to lose weight in front of everyone at a large family gathering. Had he talked to me privately, that would be a show of concern. But making a spectacle of it in front of my entire family was just humiliating. I later found out that humiliation was his goal, thinking that such humiliation would motivate me to lose weight. No, it didn't, but it sure as hell changed our relationship.

I didn't know someone like you who have said so many mean stereotypical things about minorities and who is so tough to own several guns would care about political correctness.

Really? You don't see the difference between calling someone out in front of the whole family, versus a joke said in private? It wouldn't surprise me too much to learn that there was at least one person who made a joke about my sexuality behind my back. I would resent the person who made the joke, but if this person had instead called me a faggot at a staff meeting where I worked, that would have been on a whole other level. I'm not saying either is right, but they're not in the same degree of wrongfulness.

I think what @RealAvalon thinks is that the relative thought about it as an intervention.