Immersion Heaters

LaffingBear
This topic is 1715 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone still use an immersion heater? I'm considering for travel.

61pXdCeub9L._SX425_.jpgI want my morning coffee... strong french roast coffee... in my room before I face the world. Can't order it, cant buy it. In-room coffeemakers, even K-cup brewers, are disappearing. Dont want to run downstairs and stand in line for the first cup of the day.

I have a travel pour-over from some stays in places with a kitchenette.

I just ordered and received a travel kettle... but its bigger than anticipated... I may use it for local travel-by-car... but too big and heavy for carry-on air travel luggage.

So, considering an immersion heater. Thought they'd been eliminated as fire hazards... but apparently not.

Any advice?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only offer that my Dad used one when he was an airline captain......don't remember now, but he must've carried instant coffee??....this was many years ago before coffee makers became almost standard in hotel rooms....I do remember (I was only a kid at the time) he said they often broke.....

thanks for those memories......

I used one of these many years ago. It even came with its own travel bag. Used it along with a collapsible coffee dripper for my morning fix when I was traveling on the cheap.

They are definitely not something you want to use every day or be careless with - i remember coming close to burning myself at least twice. Always handle one as if it is searingly hot. (Kinda like me - always searingly hot, even with morning breath and bed hair) ??

61pXdCeub9L._SX425_.jpgI want my morning coffee... strong french roast coffee... in my room before I face the world. Can't order it, cant buy it. In-room coffeemakers, even K-cup brewers, are disappearing. Dont want to run downstairs and stand in line for the first cup of the day.

I just ordered and received a travel kettle... but its bigger than anticipated... I may use it for local travel-by-car... but too big and heavy for carry-on air travel luggage.

So, considering an immersion heater. Thought they'd been eliminated as fire hazards... but apparently not.

Any advice?

I haven’t seen one of those in years.

That’s just a heating element; I’m not following how it is you make your coffee to begin with.

Any advice?

Dude, that thing will do serious damage to your butthole. Use a silicone Dildo instead :p

I have one but rarely use it or often forget to bring it. It is a great idea though if you don’t like to use in-room coffee machines or don’t want to traipse down the hotel hallway, down the elevators, and queue with others/ run into your colleagues when you aren’t totally up yet.

This is a good topic. What other things to people bring on their trips to make life more bearable??? Lol.

I had no idea these were still manufactured. I assumed they were eliminated when wood burning kits were banned.

What?! Wood burning sets are no longer permitted for kids? This was a 5th and 6th grade essential for me (along with Spirograph) but the finished product was never very good and they stunk to high heaven.

Memories,

Kipp

....if you don’t like to use in-room coffee machines or don’t want to traipse down the hotel hallway, down the elevators, and queue with others/ run into your colleagues when you aren’t totally up yet.

I will use an in room drip coffeemaker . I will use an in room K cup brewer and procure my own kcups if the hotel doesnt provide any dark roast. I'd pay a fee for in room brewer if the coffee was decent. It was $12 for 2 k-cups at a recent place. Paid it once, but after tasting the nasty result, I went and bought my own french roast kcups. For pay or for free... Ive learned not to bother with the tiny single cup brewers that have a teabag-like coffee pod as they produce swill.

I dont care who sees me, colleagues, etc. Ill stop for a cup or two, pay resort prices, wait in line for coffee after I'm up and out, perhaps a few times a day.

I just want that first cup of the day to be tolerable and in my room.

Any advice?

I've seen them at B3 (Bed, Bath, and Beyond). I used one when I was travelling a lot for work. They work better with ceramic mugs than they do with paper or plastic cups.

I have one but rarely use it or often forget to bring it. It is a great idea though if you don’t like to use in-room coffee machines or don’t want to traipse down the hotel hallway, down the elevators, and queue with others/ run into your colleagues when you aren’t totally up yet.

This is a good topic. What other things to people bring on their trips to make life more bearable??? Lol.

I now bring my Nespresso when traveling. Like @LaffingBear I want good, strong coffee in the AM. Although I use the Vertuo at home, when travelling I use the Original and make the coffee using an espresso capsule on the lungo setting.

I also bring almond butter packets, crispbread (now that Ryvita is nowhere to be found I use one from trader Joe's), mini fruit spread (Williams-Sonoma has some good ones and, of course, Bonne Maman mini fruit reserves [Cost Plus World Market has 'em] are always delightful), almonds, and mini-Nutellas. If I remember to bring Nespresso decaf espresso pods I'll have one with Nutella on crackers for a before-bedtime snicky snack.

UPDATE: This website sells 60-paks of mini Bon Maman reserves if your local World market does not carry them.

PRO TIP: If you save the mini-jars you can use them as a leak-proof way to bring your own salad dressing when picnicking, packing a brown-bag lunch, or would rather bring your own dressing than use the pedestrian fare they serve at your lunch spot.

My idiosyncratic standard list of travel items:

• box of safety matches
  • reusable flexible plastic cup with lid & straw
  • bluetooth speaker
  • 1/2 dozen hardboiled eggs
  • travel salt shaker
  • peripherals (at least one "extra" usb cable, wall adapter, pair of ear buds, extension cord, etc)
  • exercise bands

I've seen them at B3 (Bed, Bath, and Beyond). I used one when I was travelling a lot for work. They work better with ceramic mugs than they do with paper or plastic cups.

I now bring my Nespresso when traveling. Like @LaffingBear I want good, strong coffee in the AM. Although I use the Vertuo at home, when travelling I use the Original and make the coffee using an espresso capsule on the lungo setting.

I also bring almond butter packets, crispbread (now that Ryvita is nowhere to be found I use one from trader Joe's), mini fruit spread (Williams-Sonoma has some good ones and, of course, Bonne Maman mini fruit reserves [Cost Plus World Market has 'em] are always delightful), almonds, and mini-Nutellas. If I remember to bring Nespresso decaf espresso pods I'll have one with Nutella on crackers for a before-bedtime snicky snack.

UPDATE: This website sells 60-paks of mini Bon Maman reserves if your local World market does not carry them.

PRO TIP: If you save the mini-jars you can use them as a leak-proof way to bring your own salad dressing when picnicking, packing a brown-bag lunch, or would rather bring your own dressing than use the pedestrian fare they serve at your lunch spot.

I did not know that hotels were taking out the coffee makers until I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Prague recently. Terrible idea for the little extra their cafe will make. Taking my little Nespresso and pods is a thought !

As for the heating coil, I hope you like tea. Otherwise the biggest shock potential is the taste of instant coffee.

Edited by tassojunior

I did not know that hotels were taking out the coffee makers until I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Prague recently. Terrible idea for the little extra their cafe will make. Taking my little Nespresso and pods is a thought !

As for the heating coil, I hope you like tea. Otherwise the biggest shock potential is the taste of instant coffee.

If you bring a pour-over cone, good coffee, and some filters you do not have to suffer the taste of instant coffee.

Jesus Christ children....just call room service.

Problem solved!

I find most room service coffee to be lacking in flavor.

I have never tried this so I do not know if it would work but it might be an option. Get the smallest French press available. I have one for a cup or two. Put enough water in for what I want then put in the immersion thingee. I have never used one so have no idea how big it is. Heat up the water in the press. I think the glass should take the heat as you usually put boiling water in them. When hot enough put in the ground coffee and stir. Place the plunger on top and wait until it has brewed to your liking. Plunge, drink, clean out pot. It does mean packing the pot in your luggage but for me I can do without an extra pair of shoes if it means coffee in the morning.

I have never tried this so I do not know if it would work but it might be an option. Get the smallest French press available. I have one for a cup or two. Put enough water in for what I want then put in the immersion thingee. I have never used one so have no idea how big it is. Heat up the water in the press. I think the glass should take the heat as you usually put boiling water in them. When hot enough put in the ground coffee and stir. Place the plunger on top and wait until it has brewed to your liking. Plunge, drink, clean out pot. It does mean packing the pot in your luggage but for me I can do without an extra pair of shoes if it means coffee in the morning.

I have a travel french press. In generaly, one pours boiling water over coffee grounds, lets it steep, then lowers the plunger. I suppose I could try boiling water then adding grounds... not sure if pouring boiling water onto grounds releases that flavor/crema.

Still need a way to boil water

I have a travel french press. In generaly, one pours boiling water over coffee grounds, lets it steep, then lowers the plunger. I suppose I could try boiling water then adding grounds... not sure if pouring boiling water onto grounds releases that flavor/crema.

I travel with a mini french press made of metal so it doesn't break in the luggage. If there's a microwave water can be heated up in a coffee cup and poured in. Otherwise running the tap water hot can work, though not ideal. But for that first infusion of caffeine in the morning I'll take a lukewarm cup of good coffee rather than a hot cup of lousy coffee, given the choice.

What does an immersion heater do? I thought it might heat water almost to boiling but I guess I was wrong.