Any of you actually prefer sizzling hot plates?

This topic is 1783 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I ordered a "breakfast skillet" this morning, and was unpleasantly surprised to learn it actually was served in the same iron-hot skillet with which it was baked. "Don't touch the plate, it's really hot!" warned the waitress. I get similarly annoyed when pharmaceutical companies take me out to Ruth's Chris steakhouses, and they literally bring the dishes in the sizzling hot dish in which it was baked. I must confess I've burned the sides of one of my pinkies a couple of times when I wasn't careful. Any of you have any idea why they do this? Are there any of you who actually appreciate having your meal served in dishes too hot to touch without getting burned? Are there people who sit around thinking "Hey, I'd like to go to the restaurant that serves its dishes so hot that I'll burn myself if I touch them?"

I ordered a "breakfast skillet" this morning, and was unpleasantly surprised to learn it actually was served in the same iron-hot skillet with which it was baked. "Don't touch the plate, it's really hot!" warned the waitress. I get similarly annoyed when pharmaceutical companies take me out to Ruth's Chris steakhouses, and they literally bring the dishes in the sizzling hot dish in which it was baked. I must confess I've burned the sides of one of my pinkies a couple of times when I wasn't careful. Any of you have any idea why they do this? Are there any of you who actually appreciate having your meal served in dishes too hot to touch without getting burned? Are there people who sit around thinking "Hey, I'd like to go to the restaurant that serves its dishes so hot that I'll burn myself if I touch them?"

Usually the server will WARN YOU while placing the dish on the table....

I haven't had authentic bibimbap in some time, but that's a similar situation, where the rice (in particular) actually cooks/crisps in the heated pot as you eat. LOVE that! (I've also made my own at home, with help from a nearby H-Mart, which sells packs of the prepared veggies and the sauce - but I don't have the authentic pot. I really should get one.)

I've also been to Mexican restaurants where they serve fajitas ingredients in a hot pan. But yes, they do warn you, at least in my experience.

I think it can be fun - as long as you're aware that you do have a hot plate in front of you.

Then there's this:

You know that big cast iron skillet that comes to the table overflowing with carne and pollo and vegetables and it's always screaming with sizzle and steaming with style? It's fake. Those fajitas are not cooked on that skillet. Those skillets are stored under the burner so they get good and hot. The meat and the veggies are all cooked whenever and then just sit under the heat lamp until the rest of the order is ready to go. When it is time, they put the fajitas on the hot skillet which is then placed on some old funky woven straw basket bullshit or a piece of wood. And then right before they go out, someone picks up a squeeze bottle of oil or water and they jizz all over the skillet. Abracadabra: steam. And then when it gets to the table, it looks like the meat was actually cooked on this authentic Mexican fajita skillet. Customers are always so impressed.

Source: http://thebitchywaiter.blogspot.com/2010/09/truth-about-fajitas.html

Usually the server will WARN YOU while placing the dish on the table....

Yes, they warn you, but then you have to be careful not to touch the dish for the duration of the meal. Normally, one can move or touch the plate during the meal if one wishes. I don't appreciate having to be careful during the entire meal, and having the burning-hot plate adds nothing to the enjoyment of my meal. I'm just wondering if there's anyone who actually prefers receiving his meal in this manner.

Yes, they warn you, but then you have to be careful not to touch the dish for the duration of the meal. Normally, one can move or touch the plate during the meal if one wishes. I don't appreciate having to be careful during the entire meal, and having the burning-hot plate adds nothing to the enjoyment of my meal. I'm just wondering if there's anyone who actually prefers receiving his meal in this manner.

It’s usually on a wood block or whatnot you can move around. Their dining tables and linens wouldn’t last long otherwise...

That said I don’t like the Ruth’s Chris sizzling butter presentation.

haven't had authentic bibimbap in some time, but that's a similar situation, where the rice (in particular) actually cooks/crisps in the heated pot as you eat. LOVE that

I immediately thought of the same thing. I love it for some dishes... my local Korean place actually charges an extra $1 to serve the bibimbap dolsot - in a clay pot. The crispy rice and the heat retention are worth it

I too enjoy fajitas, various sizzling Asian entrees, and, even some old school dishes. French onion soup, some escargot presentations. Ive burned my tongue on a fondue skewer. Been warned about many a soup bowl, cassoulet, tureen, etc. Even coffee service using a french press.

Beats food that should be hot served on a cold plate.

Never been to Ruth's Chris. Not a big fan of steak. But there was that time that Victor Velasco served knichi.....

Edited by LaffingBear

No problem with sizzling plates, especially Fajitas.

I do have a problem with drug company sponsored dinners.

Don’t be a Big Pharma Whore....you’re a better doctor than that.

I must confess that I don't mind fajitas on a sizzling plate, although in that case, the food does get transferred to the plate that I actually eat off of. Yeah, and maybe the escargot as well (though the escargot holder is on a small plate held in by an easily moveable plate). Trust me: I'm very good at sniffing out the good vs the bad in these Pharma presentations. Better than my bosses apparently. I remember when the Pharma companies were pushing hard for including a patient's subjective report of a "Pain scale" to be included as a "5th vital sign," i.e. asked of every patient. I argued that the whole point of vital signs is that they're completely objective and provide critical data. If the patient has a pulse of 142, blood pressure of 88/50, a temperature of 103.8, and an oxygen saturation of 88%, he belongs in the hospital no matter how well the patient says he feels.

For many years, the administrators forced us (our medical assistants, that is) to take the patients' "pain scale" along with the vital signs. This happened until studies finally came out showing that this practice led to excessive opioid prescribing and increased death rates. Then eventually the directive came down: don't do it, that's dangerous. What's more helpful is to ask the patient how the pain is affecting his life, and how your treatment is helping (or not).

Big advertising blitz when the new diabetes treatment of SGLT2 inhibitors came in. I waited to prescribe them until there were studies showing a hard benefit over other treatments, and the various national organizations started recommending them earlier in the treatment regimen. I'm very cognizant of the one-sided presentations of the Pharma industry. It's good to learn about new medications, but I only change my practice when national guidelines written by the nation's experts tell me to do so.

I must confess that I don't mind fajitas on a sizzling plate, although in that case, the food does get transferred to the plate that I actually eat off of. Yeah, and maybe the escargot as well (though the escargot holder is on a small plate held in by an easily moveable plate). Trust me: I'm very good at sniffing out the good vs the bad in these Pharma presentations. Better than my bosses apparently. I remember when the Pharma companies were pushing hard for including a patient's subjective report of a "Pain scale" to be included as a "5th vital sign," i.e. asked of every patient. I argued that the whole point of vital signs is that they're completely objective and provide critical data. If the patient has a pulse of 142, blood pressure of 88/50, a temperature of 103.8, and an oxygen saturation of 88%, he belongs in the hospital no matter how well the patient says he feels.

For many years, the administrators forced us (our medical assistants, that is) to take the patients' "pain scale" along with the vital signs. This happened until studies finally came out showing that this practice led to excessive opioid prescribing and increased death rates. Then eventually the directive came down: don't do it, that's dangerous. What's more helpful is to ask the patient how the pain is affecting his life, and how your treatment is helping (or not).

Big advertising blitz when the new diabetes treatment of SGLT2 inhibitors came in. I waited to prescribe them until there were studies showing a hard benefit over other treatments, and the various national organizations started recommending them earlier in the treatment regimen. I'm very cognizant of the one-sided presentations of the Pharma industry. It's good to learn about new medications, but I only change my practice when national guidelines written by the nation's experts tell me to do so.

I agree with you that a rather conservative approach to prescribing practices is warranted.

I would suggest that nycman be more concerned about the dramatic increase in pharmaceutical advertisements on TV which are direct to patient are a much greater concern than ;doctor meals. I have attended pharmaceutical dinners, but not for many years. Some were informative but most had little impact on my prescribing practices. In addition, nowadays, regulations limit expenditures on meals from Pharmaceutical companies, making dinners at places such as Ruth's Chris very much less common than they were in the past. In addition non medical professional spouse representation at such dinners has been eliminated, which has also cut down on the desirability of the dinners that do occur. As a result, advertising has shifted to TV. Watch a daytime soap opera and you will see dozens of drug company ads in each show.

A restaurant should certainly be diligent about giving clear, timely warning about hot plates. Not much excuse if they've treated such a safety issue lightly. I expect there are savings involved with the serving method: time. labor, water, etc.

One can burn their face, lips, and tongue at home, such as with a Hot Pocket, if not being mindful of the situation. Life might be safer just sitting in the middle of a bed eating a cheeseburger.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2wpbrLIPQkuJP78I1nvyquhMgjhzKoBn8ATKXV5ICrQ-Q1W1Z