Georgia Engel - RIP

mmk123
This topic is 1849 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read that Georgia Engel passed away at the age of 70. RIP Georgette.

I would have thought she was older than 70. She was only 24 when she first appeared on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.RIP :(

Georgette was a foil to make Mary look smarter. (as if Ted Baxter wasn't enough)

HOT IN CLEVELAND'S MTM REUNION...

I still chuckle when she played Ted Baxter's wife on MTM show. In one episode, Ted and Georgette couldn't get pregnant so both agreed to get tested for fertility. Later, in the newsroom, Mary Richards asked Ted if his tests indicated that perhaps his sperm count was low. Of course Ted, boastful as always, asserted: "Are you kidding, I've got 'em coming out my ears." RIP, sweet Georgette.

Awesome character actress.

And her Broadway chops were impressive too.

Yes. I regret that I only saw her live once - in a 20th anniversary tour of Nunsense back in 2002, which despite the cast (Engel as the "ballerina nun" Sister Mary Leo, along with cohorts Kaye Ballard, Mimi Hines, Darlene Love and Lee Meriwether) was a very disappointing production. But, Engel was her adorably funny self regardless, and it was a true kick to get to see her (and the others) onstage live. The whole thing just needed, metaphorically, a few more bottles of "rush" (that's an in-joke for anyone who knows the show - for those who don't, Reverend Mother at one point gets high, unwittingly, on poppers. This production was conversely on an overdose of sleeping pills).

But for most of us she will always be the brilliantly naive and airy-voiced Georgette, which is a pretty impressive legacy all by itself. :)

… For most of us she will always be the brilliantly naive and airy-voiced Georgette, which is a pretty impressive legacy all by itself. :)

Absolutely … although, I think I may have liked her even more as Pat McDougall (Robert's mother-in-law) on Everybody Loves Raymond ...

… For most of us she will always be the brilliantly naive and airy-voiced Georgette, which is a pretty impressive legacy all by itself. :)

Absolutely … although, I think I may have liked her even more as Pat McDougall (Robert's mother-in-law) on Everybody Loves Raymond ...

Guest InthePines
Was she also in the spinoff “Phyllis?”

No. Lisa Gerritsen, who played Phyllis's daughter Bess, was the only performer to follow Leachman from the MTM show.

Guest InthePines

No. Lisa Gerritsen, who played Phyllis's daughter Bess, was the only performer to follow Leachman from the MTM show.

Guest InthePines

For me, her brilliance in The Drowsy Chaperone was something I appreciated only on a second and third visit.

She was an expert in playing a dim bulb with perfect comedic timing.

I wish I had been able to see her in that show - but never got to see the Broadway production. I did see Jo-Anne Worley in a summerstock production, and she was fun, but it was a very different kind of humor. I don’t know if the role was created with Engel in mind or if she was cast after the fact, but it seems to me that Engle’s style fits the role much better.

For me, her brilliance in The Drowsy Chaperone was something I appreciated only on a second and third visit.

She was an expert in playing a dim bulb with perfect comedic timing.

I wish I had been able to see her in that show - but never got to see the Broadway production. I did see Jo-Anne Worley in a summerstock production, and she was fun, but it was a very different kind of humor. I don’t know if the role was created with Engel in mind or if she was cast after the fact, but it seems to me that Engle’s style fits the role much better.