CANCELED - 2020 Palm Springs Weekend! #17

Oliver
This topic is 1514 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you interested, I just got an email from Frontier airlines for 90% off roundtrip airfare if you book by March 16th and fly by April 22nd. I'm sure there is some type of restriction in the fine print. :)

The promo code is: SAVE90

Great for the late comers... I purchased the plane tickets more than a month ago and Inndulge already charged the first half of the deposit. I'm still hoping to attend unless something unexpected prevents me from getting on the plane... Hoping for the best! :cool:

I purchased the plane tickets more than a month ago and Inndulge already charged the first half of the deposit. I'm still hoping to attend unless something unexpected prevents me from getting on the plane... Hoping for the best!

Me too. And since the AUD is down sharply from when the first half of the hotel bill was charged, I'm ahead at least for the moment.

Same here.

When the gathering was originally announced, I had expected to be in Portugal with friends; however, I dillydallyed and never bought the ticket. Now, I’m hoping the PS gathering does occur and I can snag a last-minute airfare and accommodations deal. Watchfully waiting.

Since I live in San Francisco, I am considering driving to PS and thereby avoiding the airports and airplanes. I am interested in hearing what others think about the risks of going through an airport and then flying. Are these risks likely to keep you away from the PS Gathering?

So... Originally I wasn't going to be able to attend the gathering as my spouse made plans for us to go to Island House in Key West that week... He then regretted not going to Palm Springs (not knowing the gathering was that weekend). He's now thinking of 'pulling out' of Island House (I never pull out ?). So... I may be able to attend after all... Here's hoping.

Since I live in San Francisco, I am considering driving to PS and thereby avoiding the airports and airplanes. I am interested in hearing what others think about the risks of going through an airport and then flying. Are these risks likely to keep you away from the PS Gathering?

I'm counting that in a month (is it really only 34 days until I arrive in PS?) the situation will have stabilized and panic is done. I will still fly, as by then the airlines will have their cleaning routines down and I think the risks will be less. (Plus the unrealistic option of driving from OH for just a week.)

That's not to say that I won't monitor the situation (I'm doing that for work) and be open minded, but what I'm hearing, I'm optimistic that a in month we're on the downside given all of the precautions being taken now.

I have two conflicting thoughts about this. First, I don't think airports are a problem, contact with other people is passing, so they are no more risky than going to the shops. Wash your hands, don't touch your face. Aeroplanes, slightly more of an issue, you're near three or four rows of people for an hour or so (the rest of the plane probably doesn't matter). Second thought, I enjoy road trips (generally by myself), so treating yourself to a drive down CA1 could be delightful.

If you have the time, I would certainly drive rather than fly, plus you will have your own transportation with you while you are here. If you have never done it, I can suggest some routes you might enjoy.

I'd planned to drive originally, needing to make a stop in Orinda on the way down, and having a family get-together in Merced on the way back North. My companion is flying in from Phoenix, but if he's nervous about that, I'll drive over and pick him up. The cancellation of the music festival might make air travel more appealing, but it's been a while since I've done a road trip! It snowed here in Portland today, looking forward to some sunshine soon!

I’m still planning on attending as well but monitoring the situation. I’d take a road trip if it was feasible but for me it’s a 20-hour drive for a long weekend. So, it’s flying or not going. Currently my flight (on a CRJ 700) is at 23% of capacity so there seems to be plenty of space. Since Coachella is cancelled my flight most likely won’t be packed to industry standards.

However, you can’t control crazy people like that JetBlue passenger diagnosed with coronavirus flew ‘knowing’ he could have the virus. The passenger flew from JFK to Palm Beach, FL despite “knowing that he was awaiting results for a coronavirus test” and he didn’t disclose this to any airline official until reaching the destination.

Here’s hoping for better news in the next few weeks.

Edited by jrhoutex

Well, this has all escalated rather quickly. There's no travel ban as such, at least not now, but as I mentioned in another thread, Australia now requires people arriving here to go into self-isolation for 14 days, including returnng Australians. That probably makes my trip to Palm Springs untenable. I have two weeks to decide on my air ticket, in which time I get a credit for the full value, so I won't cancel precipitately, but it ain't looking good.

Well, this has all escalated rather quickly. There's no travel ban as such, at least not now, but as I mentioned in another thread, Australia now requires people arriving here to go into self-isolation for 14 days, including returnng Australians. That probably makes my trip to Palm Springs untenable. I have two weeks to decide on my air ticket, in which time I get a credit for the full value, so I won't cancel precipitately, but it ain't looking good.

It’s pretty clear that the travel bans will be in full effect by then. I am avoiding all air travel. My last flight was February 1, and even back then I was closely following the coronavirus in China.

I'm wondering if INNdulge would make any accommodations in terms of cancellations/refunds if airlines/airports are not functioning next month? What's your advice gents?

Alternatively, I could drive... I've done it recently. However, I am checking the news day by day to accept the possibility of not attending.

Edited by easygoingpal