CANCELED - 2020 Palm Springs Weekend! #17

Oliver
This topic is 1515 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey fellas - i won't be attending the events this year - before i left last year, i booked a room at inndulge in the event i did choose to attend, and i'm going to be cancelling the reservation soon. if someone is still looking for a room, i'm happy to either advise you when i'm going to cancel so you can call and get the room, or (if possible) even transfer the reservation to your name. i'm not 100% certain but i believe i had the room from thursday april 16th, departing on tuesday the 21st - please feel free to send a DM if this is of interest to you. i'll wait until monday to cancel in the event anyone wants this, and offer it on a first-come-first-served basis!

Noooo!!! Do you know how expensive chloroform is and how hard it is to return?!? Seriously though, you will be absolutely missed. :( I've grown accustomed to your incredibly handsome face (and personality).

thank you so much for the kind words and letting me know i'll be missed - it means a lot to me! my plan is to be back in 2021, it's just time for me to do something different this year!

i have cancelled my room and it may not be too late to grab it if you need it.

i do request that on april 20th, for anyone so inclined, that you smoke some of that legal weed and think of me - alternately, you can think of me whenever you need to get off :)

seriously, boys - enjoy and be safe and be really fucking kind to @Oliver - that man is a gift and these events wouldn't happen without him!

Edited by Eric Hassan

i do request that on april 20th, for anyone so inclined, that you smoke some of that legal weed and think of me - alternately, you can think of me whenever you need to get off :)

serioulys, boys - enjoy and be safe and be really fucking kind to @Oliver - that man is a gift and these events wouldn't happen without him!

ABSOLUTELY on all counts!! Also, it's going to be difficult without you whispering in my ear but I may huff once or twice in your honor. :cool:

After that bombshell was dropped (#261) I had to consider my plans seriously, but after much soul-searching I've booked, a week at Inndulge (15-22/4), flying in via SFO and out via DFW (so one seriously long A380 sector, @nycman).

I'm looking forward to renewing old acquaintances and making new ones. Unfortunately other things prevent me from continuing to NYC this trip. I plan to attend all three events that Oliver lists in his announcement post in the other thread.

(so one seriously long A380 sector, @nycman)

Assuming you're on Quantas, the A380 first class configuration is a bit odd.....and on the first floor.

How droll!

I’ve never flown it. Supposedly, the food and service sucks but the beds are uber-comfortable.

The quirky second floor space on the A380 (aka the ultra cool shower on Emirates) is a “shared”

First Class/Business class couch that they call a “lounge” on Quantas. It looks dreadful.

Give me a reason to come to Sydney and maybe I can write a trip report!

(and yes, a Northern Hemisphere pandemic might just do it....lol)

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program.....

After that bombshell was dropped (#261) I had to consider my plans seriously, but after much soul-searching I've booked, a week at Inndulge (15-22/4), flying in via SFO and out via DFW (so one seriously long A380 sector, @nycman).

I'm looking forward to renewing old acquaintances and making new ones. Unfortunately other things prevent me from continuing to NYC this trip. I plan to attend all three events that Oliver lists in his announcement post in the other thread.

Be great to see you again.

Greetings All,

Just back from a twenty day Caribbean Cruise and am energized to start making the final plans for the Palm Springs Weekend. The menu for the Sunday Pool Event is now finalized so I can start thinking about when and where to buy all the necessary ingredients.

If you are planning on attending and haven’t already contacted Oliver please, Please, PLEASE do so ASAP. In the very near future he will need to provide the two restaurants with the number of attendees and I will need to have an idea of just how much food to prepare for the Pool Event.

If you haven’t yet decided whether or not to attend do decide in the affirmative. The entire weekend is great fun and I look forward to meeting many new friends and enjoying the company of many returning ones.

Edited by Epigonos

Greetings All,

Just back from a twenty day Caribbean Cruise and am energized to start making the final plans for the Palm Springs Weekend. The menu for the Sunday Pool Event is now finalized so I can start thinking about when and where to buy all the necessary ingredients.

If you are planning on attending and haven’t already contacted Oliver please, Please, PLEASE do so ASAP. In the very near future he will need to provide the two restaurants with the number of attendees and I will need to have an idea of just how much food to prepare for the Pool Event.

If you haven’t yet decided whether or not to attend do decide in the affirmative. The entire weekend is great fun and I look forward to meeting many new friends and enjoying the company of many returning ones.

I 'assume' you will be making your Damn Delicious Deviled Eggs :) Will you also be doing empanadas this year? They were quite tasty, not to mention popular last year!

There's probably a better place for this post, but there's a tangential link here, so...

I had an interesting thing when I was looking for flights for the weekend. I usually travel Qantas, and pay for flexible economy or discount premium economy then rely on the points lottery if I want to upgrade, but I search on an aggregator to see if there are premium cabin, or any other deals just in case. This time I searched Sydney to Los Angeles and used 'all airports' instead of LAX. Delta had business class around AUD10k R/T to LAX but around AUD6k to Long Beach, Ontario or Orange County, flying into LAX then to LAS, SLC or PHX and back to those LA-area airports. I was almost tempted but Qantas came up with a bonus elite status points deal that worked better for me at the time (and I bought flights into PSP on that).

I flew into Ontario last year which is about an hours drive from PS. Rented a car in Ontario and motored on to PS. While I’m not a Californian I think Ontario would be your best bet since it’s on the east side of LA, thus avoiding driving through LA. @Epigonos will have the definitive answer.

The problem with Ontario for Mike is that there are no direct flights from Australia to Ontario; he would have to fly to LAX, change to another flight to Vegas, Phoenix or Salt Lake, then fly from there to Ontario. It would be simpler to just deal with the traffic around L.A. Ontario is certainly preferable to LAX if you are originating in a US city, but not if you are coming from across the Pacific.

The problem with Ontario for Mike is that there are no direct flights from Australia to Ontario; he would have to fly to LAX, change to another flight to Vegas, Phoenix or Salt Lake, then fly from there to Ontario. It would be simpler to just deal with the traffic around L.A. Ontario is certainly preferable to LAX if you are originating in a US city, but not if you are coming from across the Pacific.

If I understood his post correctly he would save $4,000 AUD by flying Delta. The Delta flight lands in LAX but then he has to continue on to LAS, SLC, or PHX. He would then have to fly back in to one of the other LA area airports. Mike will correct me if I’m wrong.

I got the feeling he was looking to save $4,000 AUD by choosing this “unique” option.

I got the feeling he was looking to save $4,000 AUD by choosing this “unique” option.

You're both right. A cheap J flight was attractive, and if I were flying with Delta I would have taken the otherwise awkward flight to LAX then on to where ever and back to the LA basin. IIRC, there were options on JAL and Cathay into LAX for about the same price as the DL roundabout fares. As things worked out, I got a ticket on Qantas that worked better for me, and that was into PSP.

My original post was to illustrate the sometimes bizarre price differences with fares over indirect routes. It stuck me as extraordinary that I could save $4,000 flying two extra sectors instead of just getting off the flight at LAX.

Am I correct in assuming that if you took the Delta flight, you would have to get off at LAX, go through immigration and customs, then get back on the same plane and fly to the ultimate destination of the original flight? What would happen to the rest of your ticket if you were denied entry at LAX?

Am I correct in assuming that if you took the Delta flight, you would have to get off at LAX, go through immigration and customs, then get back on the same plane and fly to the ultimate destination of the original flight? What would happen to the rest of your ticket if you were denied entry at LAX?

Yes, I'd have to go through customs and immigration at LAX but it would not the same plane, rather whatever onward flight I was on and probably a different terminal. It would be the same as if my ultimate destination were NYC or anywhere else. If I were denied entry the rest of the ticket would be an issue between me and the airline, and possibly my travel insurance company.

I'm used to arriving in LAX, SFO or DFW and having to clear customs and immigration before catching an onward flight, so the Delta flight would have been no different. This trip I'll be doing just this in SFO before catching my Alaska flight to PSP.

all this fancy talk about $10,000 flights and jet-setting around the world!

I think I'll be renting a mid-size car to drive over.....$11/day or something......plus, of course, concession recovery fee!

I can pick you up at PSP if you want, @mike carey !!.......you can even have the premium economy seat!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/hidden-city-ticket-crackdown/

This may or may not apply to Mike’s situation but if he booked the cheaper flight to save $4,000 AUD he could end up in trouble with the airline if he decided to forego the last two legs of the cheaper flight and simply stay in LA. I’ve read several articles about airlines cracking down on this practice. The above link is just one of any you can find on the internet about this type of thing.

It sounds like Mike has things well in hand though and his arrangements are set.

And now to get this thread back on track....Mike, I won’t be attending this year’s get together. Will miss seeing you. Hope you’ve been able to put those Texas coasters to good use.