Is this guy for real?

MassageDrew
This topic is 1917 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Okay so I’m posting this unsolicited email. First of all, I’m a member of a meetup group where he claims he found my profile. He sent me a PM through that meetup. He indicated that he really liked my profile and thought he would like to get to know me better. I responded thanking him for the interest but I wasn’t looking for any sort of relationship - serious or not. Then here is his follow-up message. What do you think?

“Hi Andy,

How are you doing ? , I had to take my time to write you all about me..... Please allow me to tell you more about myself. I am (deleted his name here) . I am 41 Yrs old. I have been unlucky getting a perfect match. Its has been a very bad experiences for me, but I believe God got his plans. I'm born and brought up in Toronto, The Northern part Toronto, Canada. My father is a Canadian. (from Quebec to be Precise) while my mom is from Maryland. I went through college in Canada. . I have stayed in Maryland, California and Texas. I do travel sometimes for work. I love all kind of food, anything goes for me especially Italian, and Seafood.

I basically enjoy swimming, dining out, watching a good movie or professional sports (basketball/soccer/football), ones in a while visiting art galleries and museums, listening to music, playing cards/dominoes, taking a walk, and also like been around my friends.. i hope my ideal partner would some of this if not all

I believe I have plenty to offer - good conversation, happy moments and making memories , no hang ups, no emotional baggage, and above all I am a genuine man! I am also very loyal, romantic and playful. I don't know if I would describe myself as 'funny', but am choosy about who I spend my time with and believe I have a charming sense of humor.

It would be great to get to know you better.

I can't think of anything better than sharing all that I have and all that I am with someone who loves me.

What sort of relationship do you want?

What type of work are you doing ?

I attached a picture of my self...I hope you send me yours too.

So if I touch a chord with you, please e-mail me back.

Best regards

(Deleted the name again)”

I feel like it’s one of those “I’m a Nigerian prince and my billions is being held in a bank in some country. I just need $10k to get it out. In exchange I’ll give you 10%” type of BS that some people fall for. I’m just shaking my head. I have no plans to respond ever. Not that I’m opposed to dating and relationship, just not how he’s going about it.

Edited by MassageDrew

A. It seems like some sort of scam to me, or at least someone who just likes to waste people's time on line.

B. He obviously cannot receive clear communication, so what sort of friend or partner could he make anyway? You very explicitly told him "no thanks" but then he proceeded to send you a long email that details how wonderful of a partner he would be.

My general rule of thumb is I don't even reply to people online on dating/hookup websites unless they are local, and I've seen very similar messages to the one you posted many times. I assume that if I responded it would quickly turn to some sort of scam along the lines of, "Can you lend me a little money to help my relocation since I'm so in love with you even though we've ever met?" or some such garbage.

A. It seems like some sort of scam to me, or at least someone who just likes to waste people's time on line.

B. He obviously cannot receive clear communication, so what sort of friend or partner could he make anyway? You very explicitly told him "no thanks" but then he proceeded to send you a long email that details how wonderful of a partner he would be.

My general rule of thumb is I don't even reply to people online on dating/hookup websites unless they are local, and I've seen very similar messages to the one you posted many times. I assume that if I responded it would quickly turn to some sort of scam along the lines of, "Can you lend me a little money to help my relocation since I'm so in love with you even though we've ever met?" or some such garbage.

I totally agree. You’d think saying I’m not interested would do the job but then he sent that long email. I’m just going to ignore him at this point.

It seems a bit off to me.

• He asks what sort of relationship you are looking for after having received your response that you are not looking for any sort of relationship.
  • He described himself as being 41 years of age and college educated along with stays in Maryland, California and Texas. That being the case, and even after allowing for auto"incorrect," his spelling and sentence structures are not indicative of those criteria.

I totally agree. You’d think saying I’m not interested would do the job but then he sent that long email. I’m just going to ignore him at this point.

I read what the guy wrote and would NOT have responded to the crap that he wrote. I don't care about his upbringing or his parents, etc. There would be other facets which would encourage me to meet him!

"I went through college in Canada." --- versus "I attended." "I have stayed in Maryland, California, and Texas." --- versus "I have lived in." "...ones in a while visiting art galleries and museums..." "… and above all I am a genuine man! " -- versus "I am genuine."

It doesn't sound to me like a person whose primary language is English, even though I suppose, being from Canada, French might be. Still, the fact that you told him that you were not looking for any sort of relationship, and he neither refers to that message nor addresses it, leads me to believe that he is either using a form letter, or is really, really hard-headed. Either way, I personally would take a pass on this one.

"I went through college in Canada." --- versus "I attended." "I have stayed in Maryland, California, and Texas." --- versus "I have lived in." "...ones in a while visiting art galleries and museums..." "… and above all I am a genuine man! " -- versus "I am genuine."

It doesn't sound to me like a person whose primary language is English, even though I suppose, being from Canada, French might be. Still, the fact that you told him that you were not looking for any sort of relationship, and he neither refers to that message nor addresses it, leads me to believe that he is either using a form letter, or is really, really hard-headed. Either way, I personally would take a pass on this one.

I agree. He’s just trying to see if I’d take his bait. He probably contacted others as well. He seems nice looking from the pictures he sent but he’s likely using someone else’s pictures to lure his victims. I just hope nobody falls for his tricks. He went by Micheal - the letter E came before the letter A.

Was he driving a car or walking through? :D

Personally, because of the parties, college threw me...

Setting aside any snark (to be clear I don't think there was) 'college' is both a place and a process (attending, learning, doing exams, graduating). It'd be odd to mean that you went through the place, I agree, but not so odd to say you went through the process of obtaining a college degree (I would say university not college, but that's a separate issue). It's reasonably common for people here to say that they put themselves through uni by working in retail or in restaurants, or something like that.

Are you saying that you remember the parties at college? That would be an achievement. Of course, alcohol is legal for 18-21 year olds here.

Okay so I’m posting this unsolicited email. First of all, I’m a member of a meetup group where he claims he found my profile. He sent me a PM through that meetup. He indicated that he really liked my profile and thought he would like to get to know me better. I responded thanking him for the interest but I wasn’t looking for any sort of relationship - serious or not. Then here is his follow-up message. What do you think?

“Hi Andy,

How are you doing ? , I had to take my time to write you all about me..... Please allow me to tell you more about myself. I am (deleted his name here) . I am 41 Yrs old. I have been unlucky getting a perfect match. Its has been a very bad experiences for me, but I believe God got his plans. I'm born and brought up in Toronto, The Northern part Toronto, Canada. My father is a Canadian. (from Quebec to be Precise) while my mom is from Maryland. I went through college in Canada. . I have stayed in Maryland, California and Texas. I do travel sometimes for work. I love all kind of food, anything goes for me especially Italian, and Seafood.

I basically enjoy swimming, dining out, watching a good movie or professional sports (basketball/soccer/football), ones in a while visiting art galleries and museums, listening to music, playing cards/dominoes, taking a walk, and also like been around my friends.. i hope my ideal partner would some of this if not all

I believe I have plenty to offer - good conversation, happy moments and making memories , no hang ups, no emotional baggage, and above all I am a genuine man! I am also very loyal, romantic and playful. I don't know if I would describe myself as 'funny', but am choosy about who I spend my time with and believe I have a charming sense of humor.

It would be great to get to know you better.

I can't think of anything better than sharing all that I have and all that I am with someone who loves me.

What sort of relationship do you want?

What type of work are you doing ?

I attached a picture of my self...I hope you send me yours too.

So if I touch a chord with you, please e-mail me back.

Best regards

(Deleted the name again)”

I feel like it’s one of those “I’m a Nigerian prince and my billions is being held in a bank in some country. I just need $10k to get it out. In exchange I’ll give you 10%” type of BS that some people fall for. I’m just shaking my head. I have no plans to respond ever. Not that I’m opposed to dating and relationship, just not how he’s going about it.

I have a feeling he's copying that and sending them to all the guys in your meet up group... Obvious, right?

Ive gotten a couple of these on A4A. They ask for your email, and then you get this rambling multipage email from them full of more information than you wanted to know. I couldn't figure out what the point was. It seemed like they were looking for assistance with immigration or something.