Do you have a special Thanksgiving side dish?

amused1
This topic is 2015 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A potato casserole. Haven't made it for years because I think it's too fattening.

Thawed hash browns, diced onion, butter, cheddar cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper. Bake, and add corn flakes to the top later in the baking process for a crunchy topping.

Perhaps with scalloped potatoes rather than the fat-laden thawed hash browns? There's enough fat in the other ingredients!

I'm making this next year for sure. :cool:

Don't know where you live, but Byerlys (when they were expanding in the midwest), had essentially the same thing at their prepared food counter.

If you make your own, I use ore-ida unseasoned southwest hashbrowns (the small chunks). Thaw them for at least a 1/2 hour before. 1 cup diced onion, 1 can cream of chix soup, 1/2 cup butter, (I heat until just melted), 8 oz chedder (your choice mild or sharper), 16 oz. sour cream, salt an pepper however you want, and 3 cups or so of crushed (to your liking) corn flakes. Mix everything except corn flakes. Put into shallow glass/ceramic baking dish (9+ by 13+), sprinkle with corn flakes. Bake 1 hour (at least) in preheated oven @ 375. Enjoy

Edit, I forgot, 2 lbs. hash browns

The one thing I absolutely love about Thanksgiving is that it is a totally nonsectarian U.S. America Holiday. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference if one is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. most of us go out get a turkey and prepare all the trimmings. I find the holiday very unifying. Just yesterday, while standing in line, in the grocery store I got into a discussion with a middle aged woman from Italy about how we make our dressings. We exchanged some ideas, wished each other Happy Thanksgiving and then went on our merry ways.

I bring a prune cake which is from a very old family recipe.

Didn’t you share this recipe on here years ago. If my memory serves it was a similar process as a real plum pudding and like the pudding had to be made well in advance. I also recall my thought of a YUM.

I'm going to be hosting a vegan mexitalian feast for Thanksgiving this year... Got tired of having to deal with the vomit-inducing stench of turkey being baked @ other places, so I'll be spending all of tomorrow cooking & prepping for the next day. Never liked turkey meat back when I ate meat anyway... It was always about the mashed potatoes, stuffing, + homemade buns for me.

The one thing I absolutely love about Thanksgiving is that it is a totally nonsectarian U.S. America Holiday. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference if one is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. most of us go out get a turkey and prepare all the trimmings. I find the holiday very unifying. Just yesterday, while standing in line, in the grocery store I got into a discussion with a middle aged woman from Italy about how we make our dressings. We exchanged some ideas, wished each other Happy Thanksgiving and then went on our merry ways.

I know you're referring to people in the U.S. rather than other parts of North and South America. But I couldn't help but think of..

Yes g56whiz I did share the recipe here a couple of years ago. Plum pudding is usually steamed while the prune cake is baked. It really doesn't have to be baked in advance and it keeps for quite a long time in fact once baked it can even be froze. It is really quite simple although it does include a lot of ingredients. If anybody would like a copy feel free to PM me and I send it to you

Yes g56whiz I did share the recipe here a couple of years ago. Plum pudding is usually steamed while the prune cake is baked. It really doesn't have to be baked in advance and it keeps for quite a long time in fact once baked it can even be froze. It is really quite simple although it does include a lot of ingredients. If anybody would like a copy feel free to PM me and I send it to you

I hope you don’t mind @Epigonos , but here’s the Prune Cake Recipe post from 2010!

https://m4m-forum.org/threads/good-eats.77636/#post-688494

I don’t cook anything for Thanksgiving but a friend of mine always invites me over to his place for dinner. His Filipino wife always cook a dish called pork adobo. It’s made from pork belly and I can’t get enough of it even though the fat content is high. It is an unusual dish for Thanksgiving but it is something I look forward to at least once a year.

generous helping of Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) mixed with butter and very crispy.

I have to be careful...I love the Panko and it’s added texture so much....I’ve dried out a couple dishes like mac’n cheese and a cassoulet once by putting on too many, and the Panko sucked the moisture right out of the main dish!