Will You Watch The New "Murphy Brown"?

Avalon
This topic is 1994 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original was funny (in a dated kind of way...so many things were "of the moment"), but I have a hard time getting behind all the remakes/reboots. I'm waiting/dreading a remake of Three's company and The Ropers at this point.

I'm with you. I can't imagine a remake of Three's Company and The Ropers being anything other than DOA.

The original was funny (in a dated kind of way...so many things were "of the moment"), but I have a hard time getting behind all the remakes/reboots. I'm waiting/dreading a remake of Three's company and The Ropers at this point.

I'm with you. I can't imagine a remake of Three's Company and The Ropers being anything other than DOA.

Maybe they could change it up a bit. Will Ferrell could play a trans Helen Roper, and maybe Patton Oswalt as Stanley.

HBO's Newsroom did a reasonably good job of cleverly wrapping itself around "current" events after the fact. I'm not sure if this plays well in a half-hour sitcom though. I'll watch a few more to see if the the show develops a rhythm. It's all so meta though; a has-been sitcom trying to find relevance in a new era -- about a has-been news show trying to find relevance in a new era. I don't have much patience for reruns of shows from the '80s and '90s with their transparent setups for obvious jokes. Concepts have evolved, and it seems awkward to watch what has the look and feel of a new rerun.

Edited by Nvr2Thick

The ratings indicate once Hillary Clinton stepped out of the elevator, the already disappointing ratings fell off a cliff, generating only 1 / 18th of the audience the Rosanne reboot had. I watched it throughout, and will be interested to see if the show delves into the inner workings of her son's "Wolf Network" show.

Hill'z ratings suck? :cool:

HBO's Newsroom did a reasonably good job of cleverly wrapping itself around "current" events after the fact. I'm not sure if this plays well in a half-hour sitcom though. I'll watch a few more to see if the the show develops a rhythm. It's all so meta though; a has-been sitcom trying to find relevance in a new era -- about a has-been news show trying to find relevance in a new era. I don't have much patience for reruns of shows from the '80s and '90s with their transparent setups for obvious jokes. Concepts have evolved, and it seems awkward to watch what has the look and feel of a new rerun.

Yes, this exactly.

This show is catering to people who still watch network TV at the appointed hour and who remember Murphy Brown fondly.

Murphy Brown was never as popular as Roseanne and considering the demographics of the target groups, less than Roseanne ratings are to be expected.

I believe when the WH itself is so outrageous, making the fictional antics going on in there even more outrageous is tough.