Ever Taken A Cruise?

Avalon
This topic is 1808 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Rather than flying hither and yon a cruise might be a nice change of pace. Calm, relaxing. Of course I'd think it would be with a client you knew rather well.

I've been on the Queen Mary when it was in Long Beach:)

And I took the ferry three times to Alcatraz:)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being stuck on a boat for 8 days with in-laws......what can possibly go wrong...

....ports of call during the day, but everywhere the cruise ship docks is the exact same little "mini-mall" as any other. There's a Señor Frogs, a jewelry store, etc. And you can't explore the city/country where you dock, because your'e only there for a few hours. Then the boat leaves.

I had more fun getting my wisdom teeth extracted.

I've taken three. Smaller boats, and ports that are not full of the huge ships are best. I do agree that a big negative is the short time allowed to see a place. A positive, is if you just have no interest in being a tourist, and stay onboard, time in port really goes by fast.

I’ve been on a dozen. if you want calm and quiet...SMALL SHIPS are the ticket. Civilized travel

Leaving aside crossings (Channel, Irish Sea, Japan to Russia, Danish straits, Cook Strait, San Juan Islands) I've been on two, 14 days cruising the Antarctic Peninsula from southern Argentina, and a week in the Galápagos Islands. Both were on small ships and unlike those mentioned as hopping between dully similar ports, those were to successive stops in richly varied natural settings. Both were superb.

....ports of call during the day, but everywhere the cruise ship docks is the exact same little "mini-mall" as any other. There's a Señor Frogs, a jewelry store, etc. And you can't explore the city/country where you dock, because your'e only there for a few hours. Then the boat leaves

Good points. I’d seek out organized excursions. Something with action - sailing, snorkeling, climbing, hiking...

And when I say “small ship” I’m referring to 200-300 passengers

As noted many times above, small ships are best. I like to keep it under 100 if possible. The perk is that you do see a little bit of a number of places and you don't have to pack and unpack and take planes and buses repeatedly. Have met some very nice people on the boats who have become friends. Remember the crowd that can afford it is usually an older one. Take a friend or two with you!

Finding the right cruise line for you, can be a big factor in how much you enjoy it. They are not one size fits all. Some things to take into account: budget, ship size (# of passengers), shipboard amenities, and itineraries. I prefer the smaller upscale cuise lines like Seabourn or SilverSea. The crowd is usually older, well traveled, cosmopolitan and gay friendly. But I've never had any issue meeting other gay travelers on board any ship, although on the larger cruise lines you'll find a lot more families and straight couples. Here's some good info https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3

I think finding the right boat and cruise line is paramount.

Honestly, I could care less where the ship is going....as long as it’s warm.

Most ports of call suck, and the ones that don’t...deserve more than the

usual 3-4 hours you get to explore anyways.

90% of the time I stay on the ship and enjoy the “in port” discounts in the spa.

That’s the one reason I’m not a huge fan of the smaller boats....it can get

boring fast. Seaborne is about the smallest I’ll go on....and that’s pushing it.

Medium size ultra luxury cruises are my personal preference.

Large budget ones.....are the worst.....they’re like bad vacations in the Bahamas.

Plan wisely.

Edited by nycman

Cruises can be fun with the right traveling companion(s). The more I cruise, the more I prefer river cruising or smaller ships ships like Silversea, Viking, Windstar and- if the price is right- Quasar.

The only cruises I won't take anymore are Atlantis or RSVP ships.

I've done several Altantis & RSVP cruses in the past. But, like you, I'll not do them again. My last 3 cruises have been on Viking. They are now my preferred vendor.

• 8 months later...
A river trip from Amsterdam to Budapest on a small boat was a joy. Used Viking...but also look into Vantage.

Yes also did the Budapest to Amsterdam trip with Viking, highly recommend it. Small number of passangers (approx 100) and very enjoyable but still see a lot.

just this fall also did a bike and sail cruise in the islands off of Croatia for a week and was amazing. Boat was small (32 passengers ) and had a couple of guides that led the daily bike tours on each of the islands that we went to. Highly recommend if into biking. There are tons of these types all over if looking for something more active.

Yes also did the Budapest to Amsterdam trip with Viking, highly recommend it. Small number of passangers (approx 100) and very enjoyable but still see a lot.

just this fall also did a bike and sail cruise in the islands off of Croatia for a week and was amazing. Boat was small (32 passengers ) and had a couple of guides that led the daily bike tours on each of the islands that we went to. Highly recommend if into biking. There are tons of these types all over if looking for something more active.

I visited the island of Hvar in 2013 just before the season started. Your tour is interesting though. The different is I got to know one island of Croatia fairly well.