Ever Taken A Cruise?

Avalon
This topic is 1826 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I visited the island of Hvar in 2013 just before the season started. Your tour is interesting though. The different is I got to know one island of Croatia fairly well.

Yes we typically spent a day on each island with part of the day riding across the island and part in port visiting the town the port was in. Gorgeous area though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small ship is the ticket. Around 150 pax can be a sweet spot. You find itins that mainly go into smaller ports and you cruise at night (LOL) and wake up in a new place in the morning. Generally the time in port is from early morning until late afternoon so plenty of time to get off and see things. The small ships tend to moor right in the middle of the town so attractions and shopping are near at hand.

The downside for foodies is that most of meals are on board so I try to eat local at lunch and then do more touring. Back on board in time for cocktails and the dinner. If the weather is hot I’ll tour in the morning, go back on board for a cool down nap and then go back out. A Big plus is not having to pack and repack and haul luggage around with you.

Small ships are much less regimented and more laid back. A floating mega hotel shopping mall for me! Never. A small ship, I’m signed up for three upcoming trips right now.

Edited by spider

I highly recommend this for Iceland. You can circumnavigate the island and stop in mostly tiny ports. Yours take you to all sorts of interesting things that you’d never see on your own.

I wanted to add the the full days at each port sort of give you a preview of many places. Some say the time is too short but I’ve actually gone back to spend more time in some. I’m aching to spend a week in Corsica, a place not in my list before a cruise stop. Ditto Sicily. A great way to discover places. Even in well documented Greece, a day gives you a chance to see the vibe of an island before committing to an entire vacation. Same for Bodrum Turkey. Not on my list before a cruise stop.

Off a small ship you don’t stick out the same way 6,000+ pax do.

Edited by spider