Have You Ever Wanted To Walk Out Of The Cinema?

Avalon
This topic is 2102 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have. The last movie that my sister and I went together to see was "Terms of Endearment". She so wanted to see it. She treated me to it. I was so bored! I thought the Debra Winger character would never die! I wanted to get up and jump through the screen and strangle her myself!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Endearment

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wanted to walk out on "The Age of Innocence" but didn't want to have wasted my money. I knew the window ticket seller and told her and she told I could have gotten a refund. I don't know if that was just me or not. Sometimes she'd let me in free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Innocence_(1993_film)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One time I went to a double feature. I forget now the movie I wanted to see. The second movie was a Burt Reynolds movie. I left.

Edited by Avalon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have You Ever Wanted To Walk Out Of The Cinema?

I was dying to walk out of Grease, but the friend I was with didn't want to walk home alone. I absolutely hated Close Encounters of the Worst Kind, but stuck it out through all 15 hours.

I walked out of Down & Out in Beverly Hills and Blade Rudder (coincidentally [perhaps?] both those theaters have been torn down) and Punch-Drunk Love (got my $ back for that one).

On Broadway I've walked out of HurlyBurly and Jerome Robbins' Boredway (I walked out at intermission; the two friends I was with walked out a few minutes into Act II).

My friend and I walked out of a Yankee game in 1998 because it was broiling hot & muggy that night. On the way home, we were listening to the game and it turned out we missed an infamous brawl:

My friend and I walked out of a Yankee game in 1998 because it was broiling hot & muggy that night. On the way home, we were listening to the game and it turned out we missed an infamous brawl

I've not been to the cinema in over 20 years. Many people leave during the closing credits but not wanting to fight the crowd I usually stayed until the very end. And especially after seeing "Adventures in Babysitting" I always did. The scene after the closing credits is a must see!

Only once, many years ago on the movie "Pulp Fiction"--too incredibly violent for me!

It wasn't the violence that got to me, it was the boring last 14 hours after the interesting first hour. I saw it many months after it came out. I was on a business trip in Connecticut & had nothing to do one night, so I went. The theater was packed. I sat in an aisle seat. By the end, I was desperate to go back to my hotel room and stare at the four walls. The end of the film seemed to have several 'false endings'... I remember being ready to stand up several times, only to have the boredom continue. When it was FINALLY over, I saw a crowd reaction I'd never seen at a movie before... The second the closing credits came on, every single person stood up and exited silently. Nobody stayed through the credits. Nobody discussed anything. Everybody was probably saying silent prayers of thanks that it was over. I never understood all the hoopla over Tarantino's talent until I saw his legendary appearance on THE GOLDEN GIRLS.

In 1995 I walked out on “Seven” starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. To this day it totally escapes me why anybody would write the story/script, produce the film, or act in it. The entire film was totally offensive/disgusting from beginning to end.

"Adventures in Babysitting"

I loved that movie. The sight of Vincent D'Onofrio as a bleached blonde just made me laugh. (His cousin dated the friend I walked out of the Yankee game with... who was also one of the two who walked out of Jerome Robbins' Boredway.)

It's a shame Elizabeth Shue's career never again reached such dizzying heights.

“Seven” starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. To this day it totally escapes me why anybody would write the story/script, produce the film, or act in it. The entire film was totally offensive/disgusting from beginning to end.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by samhexum

I thought Vincent D'Onofrio looked beautiful in "Adventures in Babysitting". So when I heard that he was going to be in "L&O:CI" I looked forward to it but when I saw him there I was sorely disappointed!

I was glad to find out that the now adult Anthony Rapp from the Babysitting movie is gay in real life. He is now is in the Star Trek series "Discovery".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Rapp

I have walked out on a few:

One LGBT film festival entrant (about 20 years ago, so I don't remember the name or director) whose opening "scene" was an incredibly long static shot of a field or train track or something. I swear the image didn't change for over five minutes. I sat there for a bit wondering what the hell was going on (was this actually a film or a slide show that hadn't begun?) and just eventually bailed.

The Wiz back when I was in high school. I finally watched it as an adult many years later. It isn't very good, but does have some good musical numbers.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Again, back in high school. My friends and I were hoping for a new midnight movie/cult classic a la Rocky Horror, but it was just stupid.

Oh! Calcutta! (1972). I don't remember exactly what was so offending but I do remember that I had gone with my parents and, after about ten minutes, mom whispered "Meet you in the car" as she got up and left. Pops and I followed. I think my parents thought it was going to be a travelogue about India.

Edited by JayCeeKy

When I was a teen, The Exorcist was re-released. A bunch of us from my neighborhood went. For some reason, the theater broke it up with an intermission. All the girls wanted to leave at that point because they were so scared, but all of us guys thought it was one of the best comedies we'd ever seen, and wanted to see how it ended.

My date wanted to walk out of Cape Fear (she got scared early on), but stayed.

THE SIMPSONS' version of that (Cape Feare) was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOgUGwFKchQ

The original or the remake?

THE SIMPSONS version. She was a real wimp. :D:p:cool:;):rolleyes:

I usually stick and watch the whole movie... I have walked out on three movies. The one I could not continue watching was released on 2002 called "Irreversible" and employed a reversed chronology of events. There were two scenes that stood out, one guy is killed by getting hit in the head multiple times with a fire extinguisher and the other is the rape of the main protagonist (Monica Belluci). The movie was kind of Groundhog Day in reverse... I could only stomach it for the first half of the movie... It was publicized as having won cinema awards, but it was too much for my senses...

I walked out on Colin Farrell and Angelina Jolie’s movie Alexander. It was just so dreadfully boring.

Saw 2 was the second one I couldn’t make it through. What is up with people wanting to watch gore?

I have. The last movie that my sister and I went together to see was "Terms of Endearment".

That was one of three fantastic double features I saw. TERMS came on after a sneak preview of THE BIG CHILL (or TERMS was the sneak preview-- I forget). Also saw PAPER MOON with A TOUCH OF CLASS (I think PM was a preview) and SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR (definitely a great movie, because I actually liked Alan Alda in it) with a sneak preview of THE CHAMP.

But my mom saw the ultimate pairing of two very similar movies-- back when there were such a thing as discount, second-run theaters, she saw ORDINARY PEOPLE with AMERICAN GIGOLO.

What is up with people wanting to watch gore?

Maybe they're big fans of Tipper?