Have You Ever Wanted To Walk Out Of The Cinema?

Avalon
This topic is 2126 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only once, many years ago on the movie "Pulp Fiction"--too incredibly violent for me!

It wasn't the violence that got to me, it was the boring last 14 hours after the interesting first hour. I saw it many months after it came out. I was on a business trip in Connecticut & had nothing to do one night, so I went. The theater was packed. I sat in an aisle seat. By the end, I was desperate to go back to my hotel room and stare at the four walls. The end of the film seemed to have several 'false endings'... I remember being ready to stand up several times, only to have the boredom continue. When it was FINALLY over, I saw a crowd reaction I'd never seen at a movie before... The second the closing credits came on, every single person stood up and exited silently. Nobody stayed through the credits. Nobody discussed anything. Everybody was probably saying silent prayers of thanks that it was over. I never understood all the hoopla over Tarantino's talent until I saw his legendary appearance on THE GOLDEN GIRLS.

I saw Pulp Fiction on a friend’s cable system. We started it 25 minutes into the movie. We watched the first tenth five after the original ended. It confused the he’ll out of me until I saw it from front to back later.

I am a movie goer who will stick it out to the bitter end, no matter how awful the film is, but back in the late 1970's, I decided to go to a local film art house to see the critically acclaimed "Eraserhead" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eraserhead) which was David Lynch's first feature film. I was in my late 20's and may have been in a bad emotional state (but I cannot remember the circumstances now.) What I recall of the film is that it was filled with nightmarish surreal images and a very disjunct storyline about a man who is very unhappy with his life, his girlfriend, and his mutant baby.

I recall that I wanted to get up and bolt out of the theater, but felt rooted to my seat (as if I were watching a terrible car wreck occur!) until the bitter end, when I hoped plot lines might be resolved, but they never were. This was the first and only movie I've ever seen which actually caused me to have nightmares afterward as an adult. At 7 years old, I'd watched "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff on television and had nightmares of being buried alive and unable to breathe!

I have never watched or wanted to watch this movie again!

TruHart1 :cool:

I just remembered another film I walked out of, though for this one I stayed in the theater for almost the entire film but just could not take any more so I left when it's final sequence began. The film was Pasolini's Salo, 120 Days of Sodom. To my young adult mind at least, without any redeeming qualities unless you enjoy seeing people -- particularly children -- abused in the extreme. I only have vague memories of it at this point (thankfully!) but I recall sequences beginning with titles like "circle of shit" and "circle of blood." I know that some critics hail this film as politically insightful, I just found it an indulgent excuse to show physical and sexual abuse of teenagers. When it was clear that the film had reached a point where the victims were going to be murdered, I just couldn't take any more. It didn't help that the film looked so realistic. I have no idea what the actors were actually subjected to, but the torture looked so real that it was extremely difficult to watch.

I like to consider myself a pretty tolerable guy who tries to find something redeeming in any event, even a movie for the short (but more recently growing even longer) duration. As a bit of sci-fi geek who read the book, I truly could not stay awake through Dune and had to leave after someone jiggled me awake as I had started snoring. I thought it best to leave and did.

I like to consider myself a pretty tolerable guy who tries to find something redeeming in any event, even a movie for the short (but more recently growing even longer) duration. As a bit of sci-fi geek who read the book, I truly could not stay awake through Dune and had to leave after someone jiggled me awake as I had started snoring. I thought it best to leave and did.

Someone said once years ago that Dune was a book primarily about ecology. How do you make a good movie out of that? I haven't been impressed with either the David Lynch or the SyFy Dune adaptations.

I've heard they're going to try Green Lantern again. I didn't have high hopes for the first one. How do you make the Guardians, little blue old men, not laughable? In general, I can't think of any DC superhero movie I've enjoyed since The Dark Knight.