I am feeling quite ‘dated’

FrankR
This topic is 2043 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I last worked there was a Vietnamese bakery nearby that made great pork rolls (a crusty bread roll with pork and salad ingredients on it) for less than $5. There are more of those sorts of shops here than there are chain outlets like Subway. The two big supermarket chains here typically don't sell those sorts of meals but they have started to open stores that are more like convenience store and they have a range of sandwiches at good prices ($6-$8), but they are packaged rather than made to order. I had a good chicken and salad on Turkish bread sandwich from one of them recently. (Different culture note: chicken and salad, not chicken salad, that means chicken with lettuce, tomato etc, not some chicken in mayo concoction.)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So true! When I was able to get out and do my own grocery shopping the store I went to had a deli. They had many nice things behind the glass. I would sometimes have liked to have bought a pound of say pastrami or roast beef etc. but often there was someone wanting to have a sandwich made. The wait, standing was just too long for me.

There was a sandwich shop a couple of doors down in the same shopping center.

Having to wait for one sandwhich ahead of you isn't so bad. But it is uncanny how often the person in front of you is having sandwiches made for their entire office.

You're turning this into a contest of who knows more about San Francisco. The difference in our experiences is probably a result of the fact that we move in different circles and frequent different places.

Only because you kept quoting me with responses that suggested that I didn't know what I was talking about. I think we can both agree that (a) San Francisco is expensive relative to most other places in the U.S. and (b) it's much less expensive to eat at home, but most people don't think of having a home prepared meal as going out on a date.

Only because you kept quoting me with responses that suggested that I didn't know what I was talking about. I think we can both agree that (a) San Francisco is expensive relative to most other places in the U.S. and (b) it's much less expensive to eat at home, but most people don't think of having a home prepared meal as going out on a date.

But wouldn't that be romantic?

Having to wait for one sandwhich ahead of you isn't so bad. But it is uncanny how often the person in front of you is having sandwiches made for their entire office.

In a similar vein, I walk over to a local California Pizza Kitchen the other night to pick up my prepaid and pre-ordered meal, and had to wait in line for 10 minutes behind a Postmates delivery guy picking up a *massive* order to go. Someone else’s convenience overshadowed my own, lol

In a similar vein, I walk over to a local California Pizza Kitchen the other night to pick up my prepaid and pre-ordered meal, and had to wait in line for 10 minutes behind a Postmates delivery guy picking up a *massive* order to go. Someone else’s convenience overshadowed my own, lol

One of my favorite places to eat though. The food never disappoints.

The price of gasoline where I live is nearly $5 a gallon, while no movie theater charges more than $11, and that's only when you see a movie after 5 pm. The cost anywhere you are of everything you do can vary. Television shows are a terrible guide to go by, but it wouldn't surprise me that too many men can't find a financial common ground for their first date, as they fear being perceived as cheap, or don't give a fuck when they simply are.

$5 dollars a gallon - that's super cheap. More like $8 where I live

I'm gathering so many great ideas from this thread.

When in Palm Springs, the Chinese buffet (Emperor Buffet) out in Rancho Mirage is an awesome choice to avoid killing off your entertainment budget.

Remember to leave a nice tip folks. The hoi polloi need to make a living too. :cool:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ohuJa0LUTaE/T4bLDj_K6WI/AAAAAAAAETg/W2xoomPUzHk/s1600/CheapBastard_BarrellGuy.jpg

Edited by E.T.Bass

I think it's upping the ante too quickly. The first date is kicking the tires. I don't date since I have a partner, but when I did, I liked coffee or breakfast as a first date. But when you know somebody a little, dinner in is just the thing

Good points. Thanks! Too much, too soon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Was breakfast the morning after?:)

No, a first date. If you had sex beforehand, that was your first date. But gay guys, with their propensity for casual sex, have often already gotten to know each other sexually before they ever go on a date. On hookup sites, guys even say that they want to test the chemistry before they bother with dating. I like that idea. But there are situations, like somebody you work with, or a guy from the gym, where you haven't had sex- a true first date and breakfast makes an ideal first date. You're both fresh, you ge t to see each other in the daylight, and it's over quickly, but it gives you a real chance to find out if you want to see the guy again.

Edited by Rudynate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
According to this article the average cost of a date in New York is $297.27. That can’t be right? Maybe I am doing it wrong... :D

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/budget-and-spending/2018/08/10/average-cost-of-date-in-each-state/37292105/

Interesting, here is a new article in the USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/budget-and-spending/2018/10/28/cost-dating-relationship/38235365/

"Single people spend an average of $146 per month on dating, according to the poll of just over 1,000 people. People in a relationship spend a little less at $139 a month, while married couples spend only $130. It's not all bad news for married couples, however, as they spend more per date ($54), than people in a relationship ($44), or single people ($43)."

Just goes to show how inaccurate polling can be! Let the buyer beware!!:D

51lclysZEIL.jpg