Rimming is causing outbreak of rare STD among gay men

Avalon
This topic is 2096 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unfortunate that doctors prescribe a lot of antibiotics which are unnecessary. Unless the stool has been cultured and grows a bacterial pathogen (one which is not found usually in the bowel and actually causes disease), antibiotics should not be prescribed. The vast, vast majority of diarrheal illness is caused by a viral infection.

Prescribing an antibiotic when not necessary simply selects out "super-bugs" and promotes antibiotic resistance. That's what has happened with the new strain of gonorrhea!

It's unfortunate that doctors prescribe a lot of antibiotics which are unnecessary. Unless the stool has been cultured and grows a bacterial pathogen (one which is not found usually in the bowel and actually causes disease), antibiotics should not be prescribed. The vast, vast majority of diarrheal illness is caused by a viral infection.

Prescribing an antibiotic when not necessary simply selects out "super-bugs" and promotes antibiotic resistance. That's what has happened with the new strain of gonorrhea!

I could not agree more... when I was practicing it was always a struggle to have to explain to patients why I would not prescribe an antibiotic for certain situations. Now that I am retired many practitioners who do not know what I did for a living (I go incognito these days and took the title off of everything) are surprised that I readily agree when they mention that an antibiotic is not indicated.

So Funguy = Smartguy!

I could not agree more... when I was practicing it was always a struggle to have to explain to patients why I would not prescribe an antibiotic for certain situations. Now that I am retired many practitioners who do not know what I did for a living (I go incognito these days and took the title off of everything) are surprised that I readily agree when they mention that an antibiotic is not indicated.

So Funguy = Smartguy!

So uhm... Do I not take it, then? She did explain to me that because it was Friday evening it wasn't possible to get a stool sample tested. I would've had to bring it in on Monday and since I'd already been in pain since last Monday, and based on the symptoms she decided it was most probably a bacterial infection.

I've noticed a big discrepancy between what is told to the patients here in Belgium by campaigns to raise awareness (things like antibiotics shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary) and how doctors prescribe them here (quite quickly I would say: last time I had a bit of a sore throat and she preventatively prescribed antibiotics. The throat cleared up on its own. I didn't take them.)

If you haven't started, see if there is a lab open to take a sample. If not, it certainly is not my call to interfere with treatment by another physician so maybe give her a call to discuss. You may choose to wait it out over the weekend and if you still have symptoms then make sure to get yourself to a lab!

Here in US we rarely give antibiotics for diarrhea/"stomach" infections because we recognize that the VAST majority are viral. Those travelers to Central/South America are an exception sometimes because they pick up what is normal bacteria (usually E. coli) but different strains from what we have here in US. That gives a usually self-limited infection and we try to wait it out. If we contemplate antibiotic treatment most docs here would make sure to get a culture, mainly because certain infections such as Shigella and Salmonella are reportable to the health department.

If you haven't started, see if there is a lab open to take a sample. If not, it certainly is not my call to interfere with treatment by another physician so maybe give her a call to discuss. You may choose to wait it out over the weekend and if you still have symptoms then make sure to get yourself to a lab!

Here in US we rarely give antibiotics for diarrhea/"stomach" infections because we recognize that the VAST majority are viral. Those travelers to Central/South America are an exception sometimes because they pick up what is normal bacteria (usually E. coli) but different strains from what we have here in US. That gives a usually self-limited infection and we try to wait it out. If we contemplate antibiotic treatment most docs here would make sure to get a culture, mainly because certain infections such as Shigella and Salmonella are reportable to the health department.

Thanks for the advice! :) I had already started the treatment before I read it, though. So I'll finish it now.

Caution Wolfer: once you start an antibiotic it is better to take to entire course than to stop in the middle - that also selects out resistance.
Thanks, I'm gonna take the entire course.

That sounds like a drag name just waiting to happen
Hahaha.

I got shigella from contaminated food (I swear!) and I never felt so bad in my life. Fever at 106, diarrhea like crazy, headache and couldn't stand. I had to go to ER by ambulance and I was at the hospital for 2 nights. I was diagnosed with stools samples, which had lots of blood (yuck).

I was actually asked at the hospital if I had ATM sex but no, that had not happened for few weeks prior to the infection so it was excluded, and I did eat something I didn't feel I should have two days before. The incubation is usually 36-48 hours before symtomps start.

I lost 10 pounds in a week (that was the only good thing!) and 1200$ of copay.....

What is ATM sex?

The missing link that negates all of that is: risk group.

Whenever clinics hear “MSM”, they’re generally going to be more inclined to treat things beyond the scope of the “vast majority”.

2 things I do less of nowadays: rim and crowded community pools. Although last month I played volleyball in a community “luxury apartment” pool that had about 50+ some people out there.

...but I try not to have sexual contact in pools or hot tubs.

I'm curious about the reasoning here. Are you thinking that having sexual contact in these environments exposes you to things you wouldn't be exposed to by simply soaking in that water, or are you concerned that having sexual contact is potentially exposing other users to things that you or your partner are carrying?

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, I'm just trying to understand the risk that you're alluding to.

Though only with around 50% efficacy last time I looked.

Nah. You are talking about interferon injections. Today's drugs/pills have a 90-100% cure rates and are pills taken for a duration of 8-12 weeks. Expensive yes, but a full cure is certainly worth it. They have been around a few years.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm405642.htm

• 3 weeks later...
I'm curious about the reasoning here. Are you thinking that having sexual contact in these environments exposes you to things you wouldn't be exposed to by simply soaking in that water, or are you concerned that having sexual contact is potentially exposing other users to things that you or your partner are carrying?

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, I'm just trying to understand the risk that you're alluding to.

Of the amount of times I have had sex near/in/on these things, it resulted in a UTI more than half of those times. When symptoms first appear, to be safe I let everyone know (within a reasonable window of contact) they might need to be concerned. By the time I get the results and tell them "false alarm", it's already caused them and their recent partners stress and doesn't bode well for me socially or professionally...

I do not want to wait for test results before putting that info out there, so I decided it's just better to avoid these scenarios. There is always somewhere nearby to have fun.