Can You Identify An American?

Avalon
This topic is 2160 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had a friend, a WASP - now deceased - who was in the US military in the 1950s and was stationed in Paris. He told me that when he went on vacation to a beach that people could identify him as an American. He was just wearing a swimsuit and didn't have to say a word.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Often I can. There are numerous draft dodgers and other Americans that have lived in Canada a long time. And I am often correct when I ask someone "are you originally from the USA" because there is something. I don't know what it is, its not knowledge maybe its about attitude. I'm not saying this either negative or positive, just something.

Edited by P Gren

even though latbear's post was just below yours - and it appears he, therefore, was replying to you - I don't think he was doing that

I got that. The stork population and the Swedish birth rate both fell at exactly the same rate - doesn't mean there's a correlation. I deleted my post but it lives on in @latbear4blk 's post

Edited by P Gren

I had a friend, a WASP - now deceased - who was in the US military in the 1950s and was stationed in Paris. He told me that when he went on vacation to a beach that people could identify him as an American. He was just wearing a swimsuit and didn't have to say a word.

I spent three years in Europe in the 70s in the military. You could spot an American a half-block away just from the way he walked.

Another difference was build. It has all changed now, everybody looks the same. But back then, European men tended to be more slender than Americans and they often didn't have broad shoulders and v-shaped torsos. We used to say that a man had a "European body." This was so even if a guy was athletic and in good shape.

I got that. The stork population and the Swedish birth rate both fell at exactly the same rate - doesn't mean there's a correlation. I deleted my post but it lives on in @latbear4blk 's post

It is now gone. I would not like to leave any trace of your one moment that did not match the Canadian national stereotype of being the coolest people in the North American subcontinent. :)

Fifty years ago I could almost always tell a European from an American because of a number of differences in style, but now I can't see any noticeable differences in clothing or grooming.

Right. Europeans and Americans really dressed differently back then. In the late 60s, we hosted an exchange student from Sweden. When he first got here, I was sitting in his room chatting with him as he was unpacking and I thought, "Wow, what weird clothes he has."

Even more recently, in the mid-90s, I worked at a global company with headquarters in Silicon Valley. Quite a few of the engineers and executives were European, and I noticed that they often wore color combinations that you would never see on an American. It would be nice to report that they were interesting and unexpected, but mostly, they just looked weird.

Even now, you see haircuts on Europeans that you wouldn't see on Americans.