Mexico fined $ 10,000 for homophobic chant: PUTO!

marylander1940
This topic is 2132 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Puto" = faggot.

Puto means whore.

quoted from the article:

The problem with the word – “p—” – is simple. It has multiple meanings. It has different connotations for different people. It is innocuous for some, offensive to others, just like so many English words that are taboo. Many belting it out, and claiming it as a Latin American soccer tradition, fit into that first category.

quoted from the article:

The problem with the word – “p—” – is simple. It has multiple meanings. It has different connotations for different people. It is innocuous for some, offensive to others, just like so many English words that are taboo. Many belting it out, and claiming it as a Latin American soccer tradition, fit into that first category.

Tradition does not make it innocuous, just long standing.

quoted from the article:

Reminds me of pink locker room for the visiting team because is an emasculating practice.

Literal translations often do not work. "Puto" means indeed "faggot". There is no place in Spanishland where it means man-whore.

Educate yourselves my friends, in our wonderfully machist culture only women can be whores.

Absolutely right. In Mexico, the word for male whore is CHICHIFO.

Literal translations often do not work. "Puto" means indeed "faggot". There is no place in Spanishland where it means man-whore.

Educate yourselves my friends, in our wonderfully machist culture only women can be whores.

As a Spanish speaking person, I am sure that you are correct that in your version of Spanish it does not mean that. Perhaps this is true of all dialects and even the context used here. However, I did find several references to it being "man-whore" and if you check on google I am sure you will find it. I am not a native Spanish speaker and would not to presume to make a definitive statement of connotation of a Spanish expression without having checked first. However, having lived in Mexico for two years, I heard many men called "puto" and Iinterpreted it as a homophobic slur and when it was addressed to transsexuals or transvestites, it carried the connotation a whore, same as puta only male.

There were several more but at least some think Latino men can indeed be whores.

• what does puto mean in espanol? | Yahoo Answers
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060904202459AAVoyHe
    Sep 03, 2006 · that word in Mexico does mean GAY (male gay) but in a very despective way, is an insult in fact. Some times we called the coward men in that way to. But the real meaning is gigolo or male prostitute, but we don't use that meaning, is more popular the first that i wrote in my answer.

[*]I will grant you these are not definitive sources but language is a malleable thing and dialects throughout the Spanish speaking world have many differences.

Edited by purplekow

As a Spanish speaking person, I am sure that you are correct that in your version of Spanish it does not mean that. Perhaps this is true of all dialects and even the context used here. However, I did find several references to it being "man-whore" and if you check on google I am sure you will find it. I am not a native Spanish speaker and would not to presume to make a definitive statement of connotation of a Spanish expression without having checked first. However, having lived in Mexico for two years, I heard many men called "puto" and Iinterpreted it as a homophobic slur and when it was addressed to transsexuals or transvestites, it carried the connotation a whore, same as puta only male.

There were several more but at least some think Latino men can indeed be whores.

• what does puto mean in espanol? | Yahoo Answers
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060904202459AAVoyHe
    Sep 03, 2006 · that word in Mexico does mean GAY (male gay) but in a very despective way, is an insult in fact. Some times we called the coward men in that way to. But the real meaning is gigolo or male prostitute, but we don't use that meaning, is more popular the first that i wrote in my answer.

[*]I will grant you these are not definitive sources but language is a malleable thing and dialects throughout the Spanish speaking world have many differences.

Hey, I cannot argue with Google. It is just my experience, I should have said, in none culture I have been exposed to "puto" means anything other than "faggot". However, of course my experience is very little compared to all Spanish cultures. If you have been exposed to a real life context (not Google) where "puto" means man-whore, I bend to your personal experience and I have no problem apologizing and accepting that I was wrong.

Hey, I cannot argue with Google. It is just my experience, I should have said, in none culture I have been exposed to "puto" means anything other than "faggot". However, of course my experience is very little compared to all Spanish cultures. If you have been exposed to a real life context (not Google) where "puto" means man-whore, I bend to your personal experience and I have no problem apologizing and accepting that I was wrong.
Those transvestites were specifically called puto not puta, recognizing I suppose that they were men and whores but it may have been just that they were "faggots". I have never used the word manwhore in English, in fact Steven Kesslar is the only one I know who uses the word whore with any regularity. He has visited in Mexico for weeks at a time, I would ask him to chime in here as to the term he uses for himself as a whore when he is in Mexico. Edited by purplekow

Yep. The literal translation is whore.

In slang terms, people do use it as another, not friendly way, to call someone gay. It's the even less tactful version of maricon.

"Puto" is, up to my knowledge, the most specific and derogatory term in the Spanish language to refer to an homosexual man. "Maricón" is slightly less specific, it also means "effeminate", and it can be applied to an heterosexual man who seems to be extremely sensitive or delicate. I do not know for "puto" any other meaning than "faggot". Once again, allow me to highlight I am saying "I do not know", which does not mean there are not other meanings.

I think we can safely conclude here that, possibly even more than English, Spanish has a wide range of dialects, idioms, usages, and regional differences in language/word use....

in this case, it's very specifically about Mexico's usage of the word and that country's understanding of it.......other Spanish-speaking countries may know the word, but understand it to mean something slightly different and be more, or less, offensive.....in fact, the word may not even be used much except in Mexico????

as a US English-user, I never knew the word "wanker" until I was well into my adult years.....a British couple I met had to explain it to me when we heard somebody say, "the referee is a wanker", while watching some sporting event.....since US English virtually never uses that word, we may never really understand how "strong" (or not) and offensive it is as an insult.......

I think we can safely conclude here that, possibly even more than English, Spanish has a wide range of dialects, idioms, usages, and regional differences in language/word use....

in this case, it's very specifically about Mexico's usage of the word and that country's understanding of it.......other Spanish-speaking countries may know the word, but understand it to mean something slightly different and be more, or less, offensive.....in fact, the word may not even be used much except in Mexico????

as a US English-user, I never knew the word "wanker" until I was well into my adult years.....a British couple I met had to explain it to me when we heard somebody say, "the referee is a wanker", while watching some sporting event.....since US English virtually never uses that word, we may never really understand how "strong" (or not) and offensive it is as an insult.......

I am not Mexican, I am Argentinean. The friend @liubit has shared his testimony from Mexico. I can tell you that in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Bolivia, and Spain, the word "puto" means "faggot". I do not know in the rest of the Spanish speaking countries.

Just one more thing (for now). I like the word "puto", I like to reclaim it the same way Black comrades have reclaimed the "n" word. When I use it to refer to myself I provoke a shock reaction that I love. Contrastingly, I do not feel comfortable with the word "gay".

Same way many of us who are uncomfortable with gay prefer queer. But it does perpetuate derision instead of respect.

"Puto" is, up to my knowledge, the most specific and derogatory term in the Spanish language to refer to an homosexual man. "Maricón" is slightly less specific, it also means "effeminate", and it can be applied to an heterosexual man who seems to be extremely sensitive or delicate. I do not know for "puto" any other meaning than "faggot". Once again, allow me to highlight I am saying "I do not know", which does not mean there are not other meanings.

The origin of marica, mariquita or maricón is little Maria or an affectionate/diminutive way to say that name.

In Spain there's still a famous collection of dolls call Mariquita Pérez, in other countries that would be laughable.

maxresdefault.jpg