Should I Keep My Auto Insurance?

Avalon
This topic is 2186 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The annual insurance renewal is next month (June). I could still drive but I can not get to my car. I can not walk the 50 paces to where it's parked. It's not been started up for almost four weeks. Not since I fell in the parking lot and one of the rescue squad had to move it in order to help me up. I had gone out just to start it up for a few minutes.

The registration is due in a couple of months. If I can't use it I'm thinking of having it registered as inoperable. It would need to have its smog inspection renewed if I were to get the regular renewal tags.

The annual insurance renewal is next month (June). I could still drive but I can not get to my car. I can not walk the 50 paces to where it's parked. It's not been started up for almost four weeks. Not since I fell in the parking lot and one of the rescue squad had to move it in order to help me up. I had gone out just to start it up for a few minutes.

The registration is due in a couple of months. If I can't use it I'm thinking of having it registered as inoperable. It would need to have its smog inspection renewed if I were to get the regular renewal tags.

I agree with @BabyBoomer - sell the car. However, you might not be able to see it before the auto insurance is due, so you might want to switch to monthly billing. By doing that you can keep the insurance while it is still under your ownership, but not be required to pay the entire year's premium and then pursue a refund when you sell it.

If you're not ready to let go of it yet, ask your insurance agent to rate you for low miles. Most give the lowest rate if you drive less than 10K a year. Many of the snow birds in my building leave a 2nd car parked in the garage for 2 to 3 months every winter, and no problems getting it going each spring, so don't worry about it not being driven for a long time.

But, if you decide you don't want to drive anymore (like my father did in his 80's), time to let go. Sell, or donate.

I agree with @BabyBoomer - sell the car. However, you might not be able to see it before the auto insurance is due, so you might want to switch to monthly billing. By doing that you can keep the insurance while it is still under your ownership, but not be required to pay the entire year's premium and then pursue a refund when you sell it.

Monthly billing is a good idea

If you're not ready to let go of it yet, ask your insurance agent to rate you for low miles. Most give the lowest rate if you drive less than 10K a year. Many of the snow birds in my building leave a 2nd car parked in the garage for 2 to 3 months every winter, and no problems getting it going each spring, so don't worry about it not being driven for a long time.

But, if you decide you don't want to drive anymore (like my father did in his 80's), time to let go. Sell, or donate.

I have not driven over 1K in many years. I usually fill the gas tank only 3 or 4 times per year.

Options

1) Keep up the insurance until you can have the car stolen (i.e. left in the baddest part of town with keys in the ignition or set fire too)

2) Hire a Hot College Boy to drive you around and he is wearing nothing but a jockstrap -

3) Donate to Left-Wing Lesbian Nuns with the Caveat that they will drive you 2-3 times a week to agreed locations

Monthly billing is a good idea

I have not driven over 1K in many years. I usually fill the gas tank only 3 or 4 times per year.

Please be sure to consult your broker (if you have one) - I realized a few years ago that my umbrella insurance (extra liability) required me to maintain auto insurance as I do drive from time to time. I dont currently own a vehicle, but I do rent at times. The free insurance you get from your credit card when you rent is usually not “primary” insurance...

I have a neighbor who keeps his car and pays 800 monthly for parking. Our parking is going up next month to 850 for residents. He works in manhattan and drives only to visit family in the burbs once a month. He claims he needs the car in case an emergency crops up with his aging father. Some people need the emotional crutch knowing that a car is available 24/7. I even offered to let him use my car which is inside our building's parking lot when he needs it (he usually goes on weekends and i never drive on weekends).

Who doesn't like a check from insurance?

Thanks all! The problem with hiring an Uber or having someone drive me is that because of my knees I have a problem walking. Here in my apartment I clutch furniture and brace myself on the walls when I walk.

There is a door-to-door non medical emergency transportation service that I have looked into. I would need them to provide a wheelchair to meet me at my front door.

My apartment is long and narrow. Bedroom in the back, living room in the middle and the kitchen in the front. Going from the bedroom to the kitchen I have to stop and sit in the living room for a few minutes to gain strength.

My apartment is long and narrow. Bedroom in the back, living room in the middle and the kitchen in the front. Going from the bedroom to the kitchen I have to stop and sit in the living room for a few minutes to gain strength.

You might consider using the living room as your bedroom. Had a friend years ago that was in a similar situation. The living room was more centrally located and more convenient to access the rest of the house. It turned out to be quite a nice set up.

You might consider using the living room as your bedroom. Had a friend years ago that was in a similar situation. The living room was more centrally located and more convenient to access the rest of the house. It turned out to be quite a nice set up.

Thanks!

We did that with my grandmother for awhile. We put the hospital bed in the living room.

• 2 weeks later...
When my father was in the hospital and death was a few days off he spoke of looking forward to going home and driving his pick-up truck (Chevrolet late 50s).

Denial is a wonderful thing. My mother was in her late 80s in a skilled nursing home in Mississippi, and spoke nearly every day about buying a car and moving to Florida.