Do You Consider Yourself A Gentleman?

Avalon
This topic is 2200 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Friends of mine shared an office at the university they worked and often came across like an old married couple bickering with each other. The woman objected to the guy letting her go through the door first; he claimed it wasn't a gender thing, it was a height thing, and he always let the shorter person go first. Since he was about 6'4", that included just about everybody.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nearly always still get doors, walk on the street side, etc. when I'm with my wife, daughter, or other women in my life. Usually they seem to appreciate it because it's from a genuinely loving and respectful place, not misogynistic bs. Every once in awhile, a woman will roll her eyes or say something. In those instances, I apologize for being raised to be polite and deferential to women and then I walk first through the door and let her deal with it.

I walk around my neighborhood a lot, and when a women is approaching me, I make a point to move over to the street side of the sidewalk to pass.

occasionally, I'm apparently a gentleman.....but then cooler heads prevail and I return to my normal self.....

probably only need to watch the first couple minutes of this, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjy_FKODsTM

I love Chef Ramsey. But his American shows are so over the top it's hard to watch. He really does have a passion for food and I respect and admire that. He's much better on his UK and new YouTube shows. And it doesn't hurt that he's super hot.

Hugs,

Greg

a few of my more liberal, independent, modern female friends have told me directly to not hold doors for them......and when I stumbled figuring out what to call them, they said they are "women", not ladies.....I still feel bad, at times, not doing the gentlemanly thing when around them
I really believe those women are not ladies. They do not respect common courtesy and encourage less than polite behavior. Next time, hold the fucking door for them and tell them if they do not like, they can run ahead and hold the door for you. Not very gentlemanly but at some point there should be a standard for polite behavior and you should not drop your standards to meet the misguided thoughts of gender politics of others.

a few of my more liberal, independent, modern female friends have told me directly to not hold doors for them......and when I stumbled figuring out what to call them, they said they are "women", not ladies.....I still feel bad, at times, not doing the gentlemanly thing when around them

Don't worry, azdr0710. I will wear my little white dress and let you treat me right.

I really believe those women are not ladies. They do not respect common courtesy and encourage less than polite behavior. Next time, hold the fucking door for them and tell them if they do not like, they can run ahead and hold the door for you. Not very gentlemanly but at some point there should be a standard for polite behavior and you should not drop your standards to meet the misguided thoughts of gender politics of others.

I like having doors held for me, but people have different ideas about how men and women should interact. I can understand that, especially in an age in which some people don't identify as one or the other.