Ever Been Mistaken For Another Gender?

Avalon
This topic is 2215 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My usual attire are sweat pants and a tee shirt. I've not had a haircut in over three years. I've been called "ma'am" on occasion.

I don't get around much. I have arthritis in both knees. I'm slowly going downhill. Next stop the nursing home (I've looked into it).

Last week I went outside to start my car engine up for a few minutes. But yesterday when I went out I fell down in the parking lot. I could not get up. But a woman saw me fall and called the rescue squad. I could hear her on the phone; she was using all female words to describe me. Afterwards I told her that I was a man.

We chatted for a few minutes and she told me that she had a lesbian daughter whom she accepted her lifestyle.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get around much. I have arthritis in both knees. I'm slowly going downhill. Next stop the nursing home (I've looked into it).

Have your considered one of those Continuing Care Retirement Communities. Some accept those who are in mid 50s, or early 60s. Can be expensive depending on the facility, but would let you live independently in an apartment, and if needed, transition to nursing care either temporarily, such as recovery from knee replacement, or when you can no longer live independently.

My usual attire are sweat pants and a tee shirt. I've not had a haircut in over three years. I've been called "ma'am" on occasion.

Last week I went outside to start my car engine up for a few minutes. But yesterday when I went out I fell down in the parking lot. I could not get up. But a woman saw me fall and called the rescue squad. I could hear her on the phone; she was using all female words to describe me. Afterwards I told her that I was a man.

We chatted for a few minutes and she told me that she had a lesbian daughter whom she accepted her lifestyle.

I’m sorry to read that, Avalon. I can’t imagine how arthritis affects one’s life.

Have your considered one of those Continuing Care Retirement Communities. Some accept those who are in mid 50s, or early 60s. Can be expensive depending on the facility, but would let you live independently in an apartment, and if needed, transition to nursing care either temporarily, such as recovery from knee replacement, or when you can no longer live independently.

I'm barely ambulatory in my apartment; that wouldn't work for me.

If you don't actually need nursing care yet, it would be better to look into an assisted living facility, which is much cheaper than a nursing home.

I'll be talking with both the doctor and the conservator's office and see what they recommend.

Are you getting in-home physical therapy? If you're falling, that's something your insurer would probably be happy to pay for to reduce the risk of future falls.

No I'm not. That's something I could talk to the doctor and conservator about. I'm just feeling down and want to get my affairs taken care of; this will give me a chance to start over.

Edited by Avalon

No I'm not. That's something I could talk to the doctor and conservator about. I'm just feeling down and want to get my affairs taken care of; this will give me a chance to start over.

Rheumatoid or regular arthritis? Yeah that is tough. One of my relatives is going through that , the last fall was horrible resulting in spinal injury and now complete bedrest for a couple of months. Family looking at options-luckily medicare eligible age, but talking options of in home care -adamantly does not want to be in a home with no family around. it is tough.

I don't know where you are from, but states vary widely in terms of what is available for in-home care. I know New York state has significant assistance available to keep people out of nursing homes, up to and including covering in-home aides around the clock, but you want to consult an elder care attorney about putting your assets in a trust so you can still use the money for your household expenses without jeopardizing your eligibility. New Jersey is pretty shitty about it.

Rheumatoid or regular arthritis? Yeah that is tough. One of my relatives is going through that , the last fall was horrible resulting in spinal injury and now complete bedrest for a couple of months. Family looking at options-luckily medicare eligible age, but talking options of in home care -adamantly does not want to be in a home with no family around. it is tough.

Doctor told me but all I remember is arthritis.

I was afraid to get into the shower (it's a bath / shower combo) but I had to this morning. I unlocked the front door and took my cordless phone into the bathroom with me. It was a quick shower.

I don't know where you are from, but states vary widely in terms of what is available for in-home care. I know New York state has significant assistance available to keep people out of nursing homes, up to and including covering in-home aides around the clock, but you want to consult an elder care attorney about putting your assets in a trust so you can still use the money for your household expenses without jeopardizing your eligibility. New Jersey is pretty shitty about it.

Thanks! That might be something the conservator will talk to me about.

Doctor told me but all I remember is arthritis.

I was afraid to get into the shower (it's a bath / shower combo) but I had to this morning. I unlocked the front door and took my cordless phone into the bathroom with me. It was a quick shower.

For my relative, we are looking at the handicapped bath. You open the door on the side and scoot in. Still looking-it is tough.