Roseanne reboot...

This topic is 2046 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now she is saying it was the ambien. Does the FDA have a side effect warning that ambien makes you racist when you take it?

I have used ambien. (Long flights New York - Bangkok)

Ambien is a friend of mine. (Although it can make me a bit "loopy" at times)

Ambien never made me into a crazy republikkkan.

I have used ambien. (Long flights New York - Bangkok)

Ambien is a friend of mine. (Although it can make me a bit "loopy" at times)

Ambien never made me into a crazy republikkkan.

I'm sure this will become a standard warning soon enough. "Do not drive or use heavy machinery while on [drug in question]. Do not use social media while taking [said drug]." :eek:

From NBC News:

President Donald Trump made his first comments about the
on Wednesday, criticizing ABC for apologizing to the former Obama adviser targeted by Barr in a racist tweet and claiming the network has ignored "horrible" remarks made about him.

"Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that 'ABC does not tolerate comments like those' made by Roseanne Barr," the president tweeted, referring to the CEO of Disney, which owns ABC. "Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn't get the call?"

I guess they left out the part where the idiot-man criticized the tweets. Or not.

From NBC News:

on Wednesday, criticizing ABC for apologizing to the former Obama adviser targeted by Barr in a racist tweet and claiming the network has ignored "horrible" remarks made about him.

"Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that 'ABC does not tolerate comments like those' made by Roseanne Barr," the president tweeted, referring to the CEO of Disney, which owns ABC. "Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn't get the call?"

I guess they left out the part where the idiot-man criticized the tweets. Or not.

It could very well be that trump is so blind to his own racism that he's missing the entire point of all of this. Could it really be that he thinks this is simply all about the insult (at any cost) to Jarrett, and not the racism involved? He can't really be that stupid, can he?

Or, of course (and perhaps more likely), that he considers ANY insult toward him more damaging than ANY racist statement made about anyone?

Kind of ironic that some people are applauding ABC for its "swift action" in pulling the plug on an ill-informed, racist loudmouth who made PLENTY of loud, ill-informed racist remarks before the network ever revived her show (or renewed it for a second season after a single episode).

They knew who they were getting in bed with, and why.

Similarly, the talented people who associated themselves with this show (and with the ill-informed, racist loudmouth) knew who they were getting in bed with, and why.

What were any of them expecting? That if she had a show again she'd go back on her meds and behave herself?

The whole thing is like a metaphor for Congressional Republicans believing that if they can tolerate Trump, they can get what they want.

The Congressional Republicans did get a lot of what they want -- huge tax cuts for the very wealthy and loosening or reversing of regulations on a variety of businesses. The only hat trick they haven't completely pulled off yet is eliminating the Affordable Care Act. Sure, some of them have had to hold their noses to get along with Trump but the reason the GOP decided to embrace him when his success in the primary was becoming evident is that they knew that even if he was morally repugnant that he would deliver on the mantra of "reward the rich and screw everyone else."

From NBC News:

How to practice narcissism. No mention that Ms. Barr should apologize to Valerie Jarrett or everyone and anyone else. He only wonders why HE has not received an apology. And the world wonders why we have to walk around in shame.

he Roseanne Fantasy Is Over

The sitcom star’s racist tweet ended a show that fashioned Trump’s appeal as largely economic and national unity as within reach.

lead_960_540.jpg?1527688847

Mario Anzuoni / Reuters

•  

The Atlantic

The Trump-voting Roseanne Conner of the rebooted Roseanne was not deplorable. She griped not about “shithole countries” or the “rapists” from Mexico, but about her mounting bills and healthcare costs. She sternly but lovingly helped out her gender-noncomforming grandkid. Her family members disliked undocumented immigrants only, it was emphasized, because they directly undercut their own job prospects. TV’s Roseanne did have some prejudices about the Muslim family that moved in across the street, but copped to being in the wrong when the new neighbors shared their wi-fi password in a moment of need.

The Trump-voting Roseanne Barr of real life, the actress who plays the character, doesn’t seem quite so concerned with economic stability or decency. Her Twitter feed has featured bursts of Islamophobia and conspiracy-mongering about George Soros. On Tuesday, the racist worldview in which such rhetoric is rooted—a worldview that sees America as under perpetual threat by brown and Jewish folks—was again affirmed when she sent a tweet comparing the Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett with an ape.

The tweet was quickly deleted, and within hours ABC announced it was cancelingRoseanne. Network president Channing Dungey called Barr’s tweet “abhorrent, repugnant, and inconsistent with our values.” This was in many ways a shocking decision: It’s not often a profit-minded corporation axes a show that’s network TV’s biggest hit in years. But on some level, the outcome felt inevitable. All along, Roseanne offered a fantasy of who the average Trump voter was, and at some point, reality ruins fantasy.

thumb_wide_medium.jpg?1527621014

•  

After Donald Trump’s election, economic anxietybecame a go-to explanation for what had happened—and almost as quickly, became a punchline for critics who thought that term distracted from the more urgent reasons for Trump’s rise. Most of those critics were on the left and pointed to the racism, sexism, and xenophobia plain in the statements of many pro-Trump voters. Others said that even outwardly tolerant Trump supporters had endorsed exclusionary policies. Yet some critics on the right, too, warned against overemphasizing the pocketbook in understanding the president’s appeal. “Trump’s populism sprang directly from culture wars, not from economic issues,” Daily Wire’s Ben Shapiro wrote in a review of the newRoseanne. “It sprang from anger at intersectional politics, coastal elitism, and disdain for traditional values.”

ABC’s sitcom, though, centered on a pro-Trumper who was basically neutral on culture. Roseanne and her husband, Dan, were mostly ever only confused, not antagonized, by signs of feminism or gay acceptance. If “culture clashes” did figure in, they were mostly in disagreements over how strictly to parent kids and grandkids. The reboot’s most controversial joke was a meta one about Dan dozing through “all the shows about black and Asian families,” a reference to sitcoms like Black-ish and Fresh Off the Boat. The punchline, delivered by Roseanne: “They’re just like us. There, now you’re all caught up.” Dismissive? Absolutely. Outwardly racist? No. All in all, the show was such a benign portrayal of Trumpland that Trump himself applauded it.

Of course, were the partisan debates unfolding both on talk radio and around breakfast tables only about tax rates and the affordability of health care, politics wouldn’t be such a tricky subject for pop culture right now (nor would it command the share of attention it currently does). But what’s actually happening involves a lot of people who speak and tweet exactly like the real Roseanne does.Her conspiracy rhetoric has merely echoed the messages of the pro-Trump media ecosystem. Her crack about Valerie Jarrett was far from original, too. As journalists who’ve written about the Obama administration can well attest, someone, somewhere, tweets similar vileness every time a black Democrat is mentioned online. The difference is that Roseanne was famous.

As my colleague David Sims has written, the overtness of the Jarrett tweet has made it untenable for ABC to continue with the show. There’s plausibly even an aesthetic component to this threshold of cancellation: The distance betweenRoseanne’s Roseanne and the actual one has been made so blatant that the show would be hard to watch with a straight face. Now, one question moving forward is whether and how Hollywood will continue in its overtures to Trump voters. Because that’s what this sitcom was: an outreach effort (and ratings grab) conceived immediately after the election by TV executives who, as Dungey put it, “had not been thinking nearly enough about economic diversity and some of the other cultural divisions within our own country.”

Well, it was a boring show with very few funny lines. I am glad in a way that she did something that gave ABC a reason to get rid of it without agonizing on their part. I am not glad that she did something so outwardly hurtful and racist but just that those things added up to a very swift reckoning.

he Roseanne Fantasy Is Over

The sitcom star’s racist tweet ended a show that fashioned Trump’s appeal as largely economic and national unity as within reach.

lead_960_540.jpg?1527688847

Mario Anzuoni / Reuters

The Atlantic

The Trump-voting Roseanne Conner of the rebooted Roseanne was not deplorable. She griped not about “shithole countries” or the “rapists” from Mexico, but about her mounting bills and healthcare costs. She sternly but lovingly helped out her gender-noncomforming grandkid. Her family members disliked undocumented immigrants only, it was emphasized, because they directly undercut their own job prospects. TV’s Roseanne did have some prejudices about the Muslim family that moved in across the street, but copped to being in the wrong when the new neighbors shared their wi-fi password in a moment of need.

The Trump-voting Roseanne Barr of real life, the actress who plays the character, doesn’t seem quite so concerned with economic stability or decency. Her Twitter feed has featured bursts of Islamophobia and conspiracy-mongering about George Soros. On Tuesday, the racist worldview in which such rhetoric is rooted—a worldview that sees America as under perpetual threat by brown and Jewish folks—was again affirmed when she sent a tweet comparing the Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett with an ape.

The tweet was quickly deleted, and within hours ABC announced it was cancelingRoseanne. Network president Channing Dungey called Barr’s tweet “abhorrent, repugnant, and inconsistent with our values.” This was in many ways a shocking decision: It’s not often a profit-minded corporation axes a show that’s network TV’s biggest hit in years. But on some level, the outcome felt inevitable. All along, Roseanne offered a fantasy of who the average Trump voter was, and at some point, reality ruins fantasy.

thumb_wide_medium.jpg?1527621014

After Donald Trump’s election, economic anxietybecame a go-to explanation for what had happened—and almost as quickly, became a punchline for critics who thought that term distracted from the more urgent reasons for Trump’s rise. Most of those critics were on the left and pointed to the racism, sexism, and xenophobia plain in the statements of many pro-Trump voters. Others said that even outwardly tolerant Trump supporters had endorsed exclusionary policies. Yet some critics on the right, too, warned against overemphasizing the pocketbook in understanding the president’s appeal. “Trump’s populism sprang directly from culture wars, not from economic issues,” Daily Wire’s Ben Shapiro wrote in a review of the newRoseanne. “It sprang from anger at intersectional politics, coastal elitism, and disdain for traditional values.”

ABC’s sitcom, though, centered on a pro-Trumper who was basically neutral on culture. Roseanne and her husband, Dan, were mostly ever only confused, not antagonized, by signs of feminism or gay acceptance. If “culture clashes” did figure in, they were mostly in disagreements over how strictly to parent kids and grandkids. The reboot’s most controversial joke was a meta one about Dan dozing through “all the shows about black and Asian families,” a reference to sitcoms like Black-ish and Fresh Off the Boat. The punchline, delivered by Roseanne: “They’re just like us. There, now you’re all caught up.” Dismissive? Absolutely. Outwardly racist? No. All in all, the show was such a benign portrayal of Trumpland that Trump himself applauded it.

Of course, were the partisan debates unfolding both on talk radio and around breakfast tables only about tax rates and the affordability of health care, politics wouldn’t be such a tricky subject for pop culture right now (nor would it command the share of attention it currently does). But what’s actually happening involves a lot of people who speak and tweet exactly like the real Roseanne does.Her conspiracy rhetoric has merely echoed the messages of the pro-Trump media ecosystem. Her crack about Valerie Jarrett was far from original, too. As journalists who’ve written about the Obama administration can well attest, someone, somewhere, tweets similar vileness every time a black Democrat is mentioned online. The difference is that Roseanne was famous.

As my colleague David Sims has written, the overtness of the Jarrett tweet has made it untenable for ABC to continue with the show. There’s plausibly even an aesthetic component to this threshold of cancellation: The distance betweenRoseanne’s Roseanne and the actual one has been made so blatant that the show would be hard to watch with a straight face. Now, one question moving forward is whether and how Hollywood will continue in its overtures to Trump voters. Because that’s what this sitcom was: an outreach effort (and ratings grab) conceived immediately after the election by TV executives who, as Dungey put it, “had not been thinking nearly enough about economic diversity and some of the other cultural divisions within our own country.”

This hits on just the reason that I’m happy the show has been cancelled. It was peddling the bullshit myth that Trumpism is fueled by economic anxiety.

Roseanne’s tweet that brought it all down was symptomatic of raw, vulgar bigotry — Trumpism’s actual fuel.

This was in many ways a shocking decision: It’s not often a profit-minded corporation axes a show that’s network TV’s biggest hit in years.
Not entirely unprecedented. In 1969 CBS canceled The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. The show debuted with very low expectations, having been programmed opposite Bonanza, then the #1 rated show. It gradually built a loyal audience, eventually drawing a larger audience than Bonanza. Despite the success of the show, CBS was under pressure from the Nixon administration to get rid of the Smothers Brothers, who were placed on Nixon's Enemies List due to the show's biting criticism of his Vietnam War policies. The brothers successfully sued CBS for breach of contract over the cancellation.

The Nixon administration, having succeeded in pressuring CBS to cancel one of its most successful and acclaimed programs, responded later in the year by launching an attack on network TV coverage of the war, which was soon broadened to include print media. Attacking the media has been a staple of Republican politics ever since.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2006-07-09/news/0607070275_1_spiro-t-agnew-speech

Not entirely unprecedented.

Not the same thing, but BRIDGET LOVES BERNIE was cancelled because of negative reaction to the series' depiction of interfaith marriage. It was the highest rated program ever to be cancelled after one season.

I've always thought it was because viewers picked up on the fact that Meredith Baxter would eventually come out, and they didn't buy her 'chemistry' with David Birney. They married after the show went off the air, but of course, it was doomed to fail, only lasting 15 years.

Oh, I'm really not sure I'd call a 15-year marriage "doomed." That's being a little severe, doncha think?

Blanche Devereaux: “After George and I were married, I began to realize that Jamie had this yen for me. Poor boy. Trapped in a seething cauldron of forbidden passion for his gorgeous sister-in-law. There were nights when he actually bayed at the moon. But he finally realized that I was totally committed to George, so he threw himself into a marriage that was doomed to failure. After 20 years they realized they had nothing in common."

Blanche Devereaux: “After George and I were married, I began to realize that Jamie had this yen for me. Poor boy. Trapped in a seething cauldron of forbidden passion for his gorgeous sister-in-law. There were nights when he actually bayed at the moon. But he finally realized that I was totally committed to George, so he threw himself into a marriage that was doomed to failure. After 20 years they realized they had nothing in common."

Ha! Not everyone has Blanche's take on things, lol. :D